Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:32 AM

Well, this is just wonderful

It's 2 am, and I'm on the dog health board with the vets number at hand. This can only mean good news, right?

I just worked an 8 hour shift. Jack hadn't gone potty since around 1:30 in the afternoon, so I asked my friend to take him out. My friend agreed, and said that he would take Jack for a short walk around 7 pm. All was good.

That is, until I came home. As soon as I opened the door, I was overwhelmed with the smell of crap. Jack must've had to go so bad that he both peed and pooed in his kennel. The towel lining his kennel was torn up, and there was poo on the walls and ceiling of the kennel. Jack was in a state of insanity when I came in. I cleaned up (I still need to wash and sanitize the kennel) and gave Jack a quick bath.

Two questions:

1) Jack just got neutered on Friday. The vet said do not submerge him in water for 7-14 days. But, I had to give him a bath. He was not submerged, though. Jack HATES baths. I had an inch in the tub, and just rinsed and washed him with a wash cloth. I was careful to not touch anywhere near the incision. I just washed his paws and coat, then dried him off. Is this going to be an issue?

2) Unrelated? About two weeks ago, Jack was playing with my friend's Siberian Husky. They were playing rough, and Jack got a small bite wound on his cheek. I cleaned it with peroxide and put Neosporin on it. But, Jack keeps scratching, so it gets opened up. Well, when I got home tonight, I noticed that there is a pink spot on Jack's nose (black nose). He hasn't played with other dogs since Wednesday. What could this be?

I'm going to my vet first thing in the morning, but...in the off chance that someone is reading, could I get some first opinions?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How did the vet visit go?

My guess is that the sponge bath isn't going to affect the healing of his incision at all. The stitches might get infected if soaked in dirty water, but since you avoided the area, I think it will be okay.

As for the pink spot--you said he was in "a state of insanity" when you got home. Could he have scraped it on the inside of his kennel while you were gone?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM

jack

Maybe the "insanity" could have been seperation anxiety, is he locked up often or was that his first time? You might want to crate train him. You can start by putting him in there, walking away, and then 5 minutes later come back and let him out and praise him. Repeat this process and make the time longer and longer. This way he knows you will be coming back to him and he doesn't need to worry. I would also place a toy in there that will keep him busy, such as a kong with peanut butter. As for the pink spot, we see this a lot at the kennel; a dog who nudges around his towel or rubs on it a lot will get that sore. It just needs some neosporin. Hope all went well!