Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Puppy Pluviophobia

Yes, my darling Tucker is indeed, afraid of rain. I haven't taken him out in any storms or anything, that would create this fear. He loves to watch it out the window, but he flat out refuses to go outside if it's raining. Which is very odd because he loves to swim, loves his kiddie pool, loves the hose, even sticks his head in his water bowl. He just doesn't like to get rained on. If it starts to rain and we're outside, he bolts to the door, and jumps and paws at it to get inside ASAP. He'll go to the door, like he wants to go out to the bathroom, I put his leash on, open door, we start to go out and as soon as he gets a drop on his nose, he's back in. is this just a puppy thing?
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm... I recently dealt with my dog's own phobia, maybe it'll help: Layla LOVES the water, the pool, the lake, the river, the rain. She also has no quandrys about crossing bridges over roads, gravel, grass etc. However, if said bridge is over water (GASP ) nothing could make her get within 10 feet of the thing, let alone cross it. After a month or so of trying to fix the problem myself, I went to see a family friend who is a dog psychologist. the solution? REPEATED exposure to the fear. (In the beginning I was carrying her accross the bridge 12 or so times, letting her play on either side-perhaps you take him out for just a couple of minutes in the rain, and play a game, over and over again) After that I just had to carry her half way along the bridge and put her down, and let her figure things out. I guess that's the only solution i can suggest.. Expose him to it A LOT and make it fun. It really worked for me, as she'll now cross any bridge no problem (which makes runs a lot easier, as I no longer have to carry her mid-run accross all the bridges )
Good luck with it!!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks for the suggestion, I guess I'll just give it more oomph. I have to carry him out, especially when it's 3-4am and he needs to go potty, I just carry his toosh out there, so he can go, and we can all go back to bed. the whole time he has this "omg, you're making me pee in the rain" look on his face, then RUNS back to the door. The last rain we got, my bf and I both went out, left the door open for him, and we stood, played, laughed in the rain, called him in an excited fun "playtime" type manner, and he sat there and looked at us like we were nuts. (not that I blame him, we did look fairly stupid out there)
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
-

Desensitise your puppy to rain the same way that was mentioned. Just a little added advice. When taking your pup out into the rain don't comfort. Act and speak as if there is nothing wrong. You don't do this in daily life when there is nothing feared so if you start with this your puppy will have reason to think there is something wrong.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Agility Addict

When Dodger was a puppy he had the same fear - absoluetly refused to go out in the rain. If I forced him, he would try to find any form of shelter or just whine, pull, pace with his tail between his legs. Mostly he slipped his collar so he had to do his business in the garage!
Then winter came and we didn't have any rain, only snow - which he loved. After winter, he matured and didn't think twice about going outside in the rain. He wanted his walk more then he feared the rain!
Basically, I never had to do anything to conquer his fear. But I agree with what everyone has suggested! Just keep at it and act natural/up beat when its raining!

I hope Tucker gets over it - how old is he? Does he have any reason to fear rain (did something bad happen when it was raining)?? Is it rain or could it be the storm - thunder!!? The atmosphere changes when it's stormy and some dogs can't handle it.

Good luck!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

that's what I was hoping for, that'll he'll grow out of it with more cool/wet weather experiences. We live in New England (MA), so we have alot of unpredictable weather here, could be bright and sunny one day, cold & rainy the next.

Tucker is 5 mths now, and no, nothing should of made him fear the rain. We do get some intense t-storms, but we always take out a toy that has been hidden away for a while so it seems new and he forgets all about the thunder going on outside.

I do appreciate the suggestions and will keep at it, thanks!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

uh i think you jsut have to admit that tucker is jsut really smart, unlike my dog who i am afraid is not so smart, she will sit in the rain for hours, and my mum always said things about some ppl being to thick to come in out of the rain, hmmm makes you wonder (yet she will cry if she sees the hose, but lvoes rain, i give up)...

dont worry hes jsut not dumb, i reckon anyway... go tucker with a brain
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:03 AM

I think the problem is you have a dog who is slightly human. I know a LOT of humans who jog that are terrified of rain...