Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM

My cat is acting strange... Ravenous appetite!

My cat is almost 16 years old. He's been an outdoor cat since he was about a year old. He was also neutered when he was young. Also, when he was about 6 or 7 years old, he developed a permanent case of laryngitis, so when he meows, all you hear is the end - "ow" sound. Even that hasn't been a problem. (just stuff I think you might need to know)

For about a week now, he has had an appetite that has gotten out of control and wants to eat almost 24 hours a day. He constantly tries to run in the house between my feet, and I'm trying to keep him outside. He has drool running down from the corner of his mouth, especially while he's eating, and his hair is shedding. I'm spending a fortune on cat food and he still doesn't seem satisfied. And he's steered away from dry food, only eating canned or moist food. Even though he's eating, he seems to be losing weight. I haven't seen him vomit. What's wrong with him? I was thinking he was just old and getting senile, but the issue with his weight doesn't seem right.

I can't afford a vet, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know but it sounds like your cat might have hyperthyroidism, a very common problem with older cats. The weight loss, increased appetite, the shedding all all consistant with this problem.

He needs medication but if you can't afford to take your 16 year old cat to the vet (or even let him in the house!) to have him properly taken care of then there is no answer. I guess he'll have just have to suffer but I have to tell you that in many places, refusing vet care for sick or suffering animals is against the law.
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM

I thought it might be a thyroid problem! Thank you!
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

I agree with Lucky. This is quite obviously hyperthyroidism symptoms. Your cat is feeling miserable since he is CONSTANTLY hungry and thirsty without ever feeling satisfied. This is also extremely hard on his heart. The only way to make him feel better is to take him to the vet where they will test his T4 and if the diagnosis is confirmed, he will be prescribed medication - this will typically cost you around 20 $ a month and you MUST make sure you give them to your cat twice a day.
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

My cat had hyperthyroidism and once diagnosed the meds weren't very expensive...You can take him to the vets and ask for some sort of a payment plan...most of the vets are quite accommodating. At Least call your vet and tell him what your cat is doing and see what they say. Good luck. I really think your kitty needs to be seen by a vet.
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Thanks! I will schedule a vet appt. first thing tomorrow. $20/month is not much considering how much cat food I have to buy to keep up with his appetite! Is this a pill or drops? Any helpful hints on how to get him to take them?
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Typical medication for hyperthyroidism is called Tapazole. It's a small white pill. The hardest part is that you have to give it twice a day. But it's easy to make the cat swallow it since it's small. You can also just hide it in a spoonful of canned food - most cats will gobble it up !
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Its been a while but I think it was called Tapazole(tablet) twicw a day...but that was about 4 years ago maybe they have new medicine.
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:12 PM
-

I would also have him checked for worms.
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:32 PM

I thought cats only get worms if they have a serious flea problem. No fleas! He wears a flea collar and hasn't scratched himself since I bought it last spring. (11 month collar, so I should be updating it soon)
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:38 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Cats can get worms from eating any manner of creatures they would normally hunt. Given yours is an outside cat, he can get into anything that's already infected and so needs to be dewormed. If at all possible, can you bring him inside for the remainder of his days? You'll at least be certain he's getting his meds and not getting into anything he shouldn't.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Given his age and the fact that he will need to be 'pilled' twice a day, I would seriously consider keeping him inside. Time for this kitty to 'retire'!
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Oh, NO! He would hate for me to keep him in! He's only been running in lately because of his appetite! If I can get that under control, there will be no way to keep him inside! He will be fighting me just as hard to get out! (I do let him in when there's bad weather, of course!)
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Can you be sure he will turn up for his medication twice a day, at regular times? If you want to get the hyperthyroidism under control, regular medication is a must.

I understand where you're coming from, my cats go outside as well, but there's no point embarking on this if you medicate him just when he turns up or miss doses because he isn't there. It can have fairly serious consequences.
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Kitty Consort

Good luck with your kitty at the vet - I hope this problem can soon be brought under control for you.

If I may make one other suggestion - I would really reccomend not replacing the flea collar. They dont work, can be toxic, and are dangerous - particularly for an outdoor cat ( I had an awful experience with these once many years ago - my cat's neck was absolutely raw)
I'd advise getting flea meds from the vet when you see him, and just apply them if you notice kitty scratching - or if you see fleas.

I hope your kitty will feel better soon. Keep us posted wont you?
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
Its been a while but I think it was called Tapazole(tablet) twicw a day...but that was about 4 years ago maybe they have new medicine.
Hey, that's what I'm taking! Yey! Yes, they still give it- for humans anyway. They're tiny. And they make you very tired. Oh and if I stop too suddenly, I can have a heart attack.
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Can you be sure he will turn up for his medication twice a day, at regular times? If you want to get the hyperthyroidism under control, regular medication is a must.

I understand where you're coming from, my cats go outside as well, but there's no point embarking on this if you medicate him just when he turns up or miss doses because he isn't there. It can have fairly serious consequences.

He's never stayed away for more than a few hours. He's very loyal, and acts as a "guardian" for my kids. He has seen them all grow up, and thinks he has to protect them! I have many storeis I could tell... Trust me, he will show up for regular medication times!

Thanks for your concern!
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Forgot to say, the kids call him "Furry Big Brother!" LOL!
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Just please keep in mind that when a cat gets sick they can go into hiding and stay away for many days.
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM

I got the report back from the vet a few days ago. His thyroid is fine. But his BUN is up just a little, and the vet says he has kidney disease. He put D.C. on a low protein diet, and extra fluids.

He doesn't drink tap water at all, and will usually wait a day or 2 to drink any tap water I put out for him. Maybe it tastes too chemical to him. He actually prefers stagnant rain water. I asked, and the vet said it would be OK to get him to drink more water by "flavoring" it with milk. A couple of teaspoons of milk in about a cup of water, just enough to color it milky and make it taste better to him. The other option is taking him to the vet often to have injections of water under the skin. He was hard enough to catch this time, so that's probably a last resort. Either way, the vet says he will be OK with the diet and the extra water, and he's VERY healthy for a cat his age. He probably has many more years in him.

Thanks everyone for your help and support!
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you get a low protein diet in a wet food. Since they have more water in them then he would still need water but at least you know that it's in his food. Or, can you add water to his dry food and turn it into a gravy...I do that for my dog and she likes it. Just a though on how to get more H2O into your kitty.
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM

I have tried to wet it a little to make a gravy. It doesn't work too well. I haven't seen a low-protein food in wet form, but I'll be looking out for it. Does chicken broth have a lot of protein in it? Maybe I could "cook" his food in broth and let it cool before serving it to him. His vet has offered to teach me how to do the injections, but I'm not sure I would be able to. I'm squeamish about needles!