Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 5th, 2010, 10:19 PM

Breed and expected life span?

Hello everyone! I have a wonderful little dog that we know is part Lab, but we're not sure what else! Perhaps a little Great Dane?

Thinking about this led me to wonder about how long we could expect to have her, assuming she remains as lively and healthy as she is! I know Labs have an average life expectancy of around 12 years, but Danes only live up to around 8, from what I've heard?

We're really worried, because no one noticed the Great Dane likeness until someone pointed it out recently, and since she's going to be turning seven this year, we'd be devastated if we only have more or less a couple of years left with her.

Of course, it's not like knowing will help us avoid it, but we'd like to prepare ourselves, since she's been such a vital part of our family, and we can't bear the thought of losing her.

And, here's a picture/collage, just for the sake of it!
Attached Images

Old January 5th, 2010, 10:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She looks like a sweetie, mirtilo! What's her name?

I've heard a life span for both breeds quoted at 8 to 10 years, but we had a huge black lab that lived till 15. It seems to vary by individual--if she stays healthy, there's no reason to think she couldn't still have many years ahead of her! She's looking great!

Welcome to the board to both of you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM
-

The short life expectancy of a great dane is because of their size , too big for their hearts ... but many danes now are living way past 8 years old

so , about your dog , if she's smaller than a great dane , in my opinion , she can have more years ahead. How much does she weights ?
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:48 AM

You could get a DNA profile done of your dog, to see what the dominant breed(s) is/are.

We're looking to get one done for our Bodhi, so that we can better determine what her parentage is. She's got very webbed feet, like a lab, and we know her mom is a Shepherd mix. Bodhi looks a lot like the pup version of your dog. She's now 7 months, and 78 lbs. Is your dog a larger breed mix? There are some photos of Bodhi in my profile albums... along with a few where's she's playing with a female purebred German Shepherd... just for size comparison.

And I agree with Frenchy and Hazel - it would depend on your dog's overall health, genes and all that, not necessarily on breed. Even if the dominant breed life average is 8 years, he might well live to be 15 because of living conditions and nutrition, parentage and general health.
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:11 AM

Gosh, is she ever cute! What's her name? You must be such a proud doggie mom

I agree with everyone else, I think it will depend greatly on a variety of things including genetics, nutrition, general health etc. IMO, "life spans" for dogs give a very vague idea of how long the breed will live, as there certainly is exceptions to this all the time!

Wishing you many, many more years with your girl!!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:28 PM

I had a great dane/golden lab mix when I was a teenager. She lived until 11 (died from cancer and arthritic hips). I wouldn't worry too much about the dane lifespan, mixed breeds tend to bring out the best of all the breeds!

She is beautiful! Whatever happens, just make sure life is to the fullest! I recently went to a dog park and saw a very,very,very sick/elderly dog out sniffing and enjoying the sun.. as far as I know, he didn't make it past that weekend, but at least he was out enjoy the forest. Life to the fullest!
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

What a soulful face.

My parent's dane is now 9 years old and going on strong. The only thing that has been noticed is that one hip is slipping somewhat. There is little that can be done for this but he is now limited in play, dad built him his own ramp to go outside and he has a posterpedic bed, good food and vitamens.

Enjoy your pupper each and everyday. Celebrate each day. Someone once told me that death was an appointment. It is one appointment that cannot be missed so be grateful for everyday that we have.
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

well said ben max, brenda
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:38 AM

Thanks so much for all the wonderful responses, everyone! I really didn't expect such rapid and thorough feedback, I'm so pleasantly surprised

hazelrunpack, her name is Lucky (deemed fitting by my younger sister, since she was born on the seventh), thank you for the warm welcome!

frenchy, I would say she definitely has the size and build of a Labrador, though her coloring, and some facial features are Dane-like. I believe she weights 80 pounds, which is slightly above the average Lab weight, but far below the average weight of a Great Dane. I didn't know that about the heart:body ratio, thanks for letting me know!

marcha, I had no idea DNA profiling was even an option, I'll definitely look into that Lucky comes up to about my knee, so she's nowhere near as big as the average Great Dane. Bodhi looks like a little darling, I adore her ears! Thank you so much for the reassurance, it's really very comforting.

cassiek, thanks so much! Her name's Lucky, for the day she was born (the seventh). I can't thank you enough for the information, this had had me so worried! This is one scenario where I'm very glad to have been proven wrong

shibamom, thank you very much for the reassurance! Yes, it always makes me sad to see concerned owners keeping their sick pets at home, thinking they're keeping them safe, but really only giving them a miserable few last days

benmax, thank you! Don't be deceived by her appearance, however, she goes back and forth from being pensive and wise to being the most hyperactively affectionate thing on four feet Your words are very inspirational, I will be sure to never take her for granted.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:54 AM

You're welcome! You can ask your vet if they do DNA testing there, but our local vets all recommend getting it done via online. You order a package, they send it, you swab your dog's mouth, you send the swab back, they give you a report when it's finished.

Our vet recommended this website: http://www.dnamydog.com/
It's a Canadian one. It might be of use for you if you're in Canada.
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:02 AM

I am indeed in Canada! Thanks for the link, I'll do so, for sure; I've always wondered about her parentage
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM

From the few pictures that you posted it seems like your pricess is a bit overweight. Shedding some pounds can add a few years for your little girl.