Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM

Question Groomer in the East York Area

Hi everyone:

It's that time again for my bichon to receive grooming.

Can anyone recommend a groomer in or near East York in Toronto? I called PetSmart and the price is upwards of $60 including taxes. I was expecting to pay around the $50 mark including taxes.

Thank you.
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I live in East York, but my Eskie is groomed at Tails Up on Bayview, a few blocks south of Eglinton, located in same building as our vet of over 25 years. Prices seem to vary so you would have to ask. They want $60 to do a botch job at the PetSmart - I am assuming you mean the one on Laird!? I am also assuming this would be their "deluxe" package that includes shampoo and conditioner with horrible scents - such as a Valentine "cherry" scent or something, sure to cause a rash. I was in there one day when one of the trainers who also has an Eskimo told me that an Eskie was being shaved to the pink - right down to the tail so we watched in horror. Then we saw same happen to other dogs - Poodles etc. So I asked what they would recommend for my little devil - no surprise - shaving. Not about to happen -and I don't like the straps they use with dogs hanging by neck. My dog's groomer is excellent and doesn't use straps. And she knows how to groom an Eskie. Also handy that she sells the food he eats as well as his harness type and leashes. When taking the side street out to St. Clair I did see a groomer on St. Clair, south of O'Connor, I guess near Squires. We are by Topham Park. The Eskie fur does stop growing in terms of length, but our guy doesn't blow his coat - other than the usual tumbleweeds - and of course turning my black clothes into tweed - so the mats develop that you can't even feel/see - and he does need his "pants" trimmed and around his neck and tummy. Depending on where you live you may have met the little barking fool prancing down the street - he looks like a pretty girl - and you would see he does have a good haircut. Other than PetSmart and the groomer on St. Clair, there is Doug Buckingham who is located on Millwood, just a couple of blocks in from Laird - but I expect he charges higher than my groomer. He has been in a few locations over the years. Guess the only way to know is to ask. There are a couple of Eskimos in our area - ours is the one who wears the bib type harnesses and struts.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks, SnowDancer:

Small world. I have friends who live right on Topham. My church is on Westveiw Blvd. so I know your area.

Thanks for the grooming tip. Yes, I called the PetSmart on Laird. All I want is just a "cleaning up" around the face, bum and belly as it's still very cold outside and, heaven forbid, I don't want my bichon shaved.

I'll give your groomer a call. I don't mind a small bit of travel. My doggie gets car sick so I don't want to go too far.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

You are welcome. Don't know what she will quote you - might have to see your dog first. We just got home - he wasn't groomed - but he goes every Thurs. for socialization - or to be "socialized" by the other dogs - and surprisingly he accepts it in this controlled environment. Actually on way back we passed Doug Buckingham's - it is on McCrae - seems I have Millwood on the brain. I know the church you mean on Westview - we sometimes take that route on our walk.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM

Buckingham's been in business a long time.

http://www.ziplocal.com/companies/66...oug-Buckingham