Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

After vaccine panting hard

Onnie and Bunduk just went in for their vaccines. Onnie came home, ate some food, went to the litter box.

Now he STINKS and is panting very very hard , tongue sticking out :sad: I dont know whats going on Im so freaked out I called the vet, technician answered she said I can bring him in if Im worried but she says it just sounds like he's stressed??

Ill give him a few mins then take him in..I dont want to stress him more..Omg i feel horrible. Is this normal?? Anyone experienced this??

If he doesnt calm down I will take him back im just scared to make it worse.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Take him in.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Don't wait for him to calm down. Get him back there asap!!!! for Onnie

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Took him back in right after I posted. He was still panting like MAD at the vet but turns out he stank cuz there was all this poop smeared on his bum (diarrhea). Vet thinks he just stressed himself out cuz after I posted I went to check the basement where litter box is thinking maybe he got into something and found vomit EVERYWHERE, white foam 5 or 6 patches of it and a pile of diarrhea..that's all I needed to rush him in.

Vet thinks he just threw up and then freaked out and continues to throw up/foamed at the mouth and then pooped himself?????? He said he sees no sign of an allergic reaction and while there he stopped panting. Right now Onnie is lying down next to me, breathing calmed down..I cleaned him bum for him..he doesnt want any treats or anything :sad: Im gonna watch him like a hawk today.

I have always had my cats vaccinated but never ever have I had one have such a freakout. Maybe the vommiting/pooping himself wasnt related but I dunno .

He didnt freak out or pant at the vets or on the way home or even within 15 mins of being home..he was his usual at the vets, trying to go under the covers in his carrier, not making a sound.

I don't know if ill be vaccinating them next yr.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Was it the same vet you normally have or someone new? Did he maybe hit a muscle or something that hurt? I'm grasping at straws here.
Are you going to rethink the vaccines? I am kind of on the fence as far as they go. Leaning hard toward not vaccinating.
for Onnie and extra hugs. Poor baby. :sad:

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

vet office just called me back to check on him, v nice of them. She told me I dont have to vaccinate him again for 3 yrs, that's good. I won't.

The vet tech was baffled as to why he had such a delayed freakout. She says its classic freakout with the foaming, vomitting, diarrea. I just dont know why it happened, he's been to the vet before.

This is a new vet tho, a male (Onnie likes guys too ) he was hired in August and he was very kind and knowledgeable. I actually liked him more than my original vet who owns the clinic cuz he talked me thru everything and didnt rush. He gave them the vaccine in the leg area not in the scruff. Told me its normal that there may be a lump after. Talked to me about what each vaccine does and decreased the number they were taking cuz last yr my vet vaccinated him for things that usually only outdoor cats are vaccinated for. He was very kind. Also reccomended vitamins for Bunduk to help with the pica? He asked what I was feeding, I said wellness. He said maybe try switching..told him Ive switched a lot, fed orijen before and he said that was a very good food. I liked that. My vet didnt even know what orijen was and made me switch onnie to prescription weight loss food (NOT good).

Im very baffled and also very upset for Onnie :sad: He's just sitting there in his corner, eyes shut tight, shaking :sad: no more panting, thank God.

Last edited by onster; June 5th, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

On the positive side, Onnie has lost some weight. In december when we adopted him he weight 5.8 and then in April he weighed 6.8 then he went on vet food for a while..then I switched to wellness supplemented with canned food everyday and now he is 6.5 Still heavy but at least he isnt going up and lost weight. He wants him to lose at least a kg more.
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our old labby, Luke, had a reaction like that one year when we doubled up his rabies shot with his DA2PP shot. He also showed none of the classic allergic reaction symptoms, but panted, threw up, got diarrhea and wasn't himself for a while. The vet said it was a reaction to the vaccinations and since then we've always been careful not to get our dogs vaccinated with everything on the same day.

The good news is that he was right as rain again in a day or two.

How is Onnie now?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
The vet tech was baffled as to why he had such a delayed freakout. She says its classic freakout with the foaming, vomitting, diarrea. I just dont know why it happened, he's been to the vet before.
I've never had a vaccine reaction in my cats (except for being a little ) but this sounds very much like when Duffy had constipation plus a little bit of diarreah. Because she was straining so hard she did vomit and brought up a little foam as well. Her ears were extremely hot and she started panting, once she finally was able to poop out the last of what she had she was fine.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

Something similar happened with Fagan, he got a plastic spring stuck in his teeth and panicked, he was under my bed panting and pooping himself. I also rushed him to the vet, and once there he calmed down and then was fine (course we got xrays in case of ingestion) but the vet said that when they get really stressed they can pant and have accidents.

I'm glad Onnie is ok now. and I was reading the scooting one in the other thread too.... Palomine does it too, and there is nothing wrong with his glands either...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have never had a vaccine reaction in my cats (had cats alll my life and have always vaccinated them) until Jasper's reaction this year.

So scary isn't it, Onster!!

Hope Onnie will be better soon.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey