Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Some cat health and care questions please...

For those that don't know I care for a feral colony in my yard (You can see pictures here if you want to http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa171/MrMajestyk_13/).
1- I already put L-Lysine in their food because I see it helps the eye and nose discharge from what I assume is Feline Herpes. I was wondering if there is anything else that should be added to the food for their health?
2- How much do I have to worry about fleas getting on me when I am near them? And for that matter for the one that lets me touch her (Mugsy for now but I am hoping that some of the others warm up to me like my late little pal Tigga did) what is the best treatment for her flea and tick problem?
3- Do they tear their fur up because of fleas or ticks? Nosey seems to have small patches (The size of a US Dime or smaller and about 10-12 spots from what I can see) of fur missing on her body I was wondering why? She in no way will let me touch her...Yet so I can't tell.
4- Besides shelter, water, food and the aforementioned stuff is there anything else I can do that will make their lives better?

Thanks one and all for any advice!

Bill
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Bill,

Someone else here is probably more qualified to answer your flea questions (thankfully, I don't have to deal with them where I live), but I thought I'd point you in the direction of the Alley Cat Allies website, if you haven't already checked it out. They have some pretty extensive info on caring for a feral colony: http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#4 If you can't find the answers you need, maybe try emailing them directly: http://www.alleycat.org/response.aspx

Thanks for all you do for these kitties!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the link I will peruse the site. I was hoping for some real personal experience when it comes to caring for them too.

Bill
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:13 PM
What to say, what to say

Flea & ticks, etc. medication is not cheap. I think a good one is Revolution. I know that you should avoid Hartz but I don't really know anything else about this topic. And yes, they do tear up their fur. My friend's cat teared up his fur and went to the vet to find out that it was fleas from the old owner's residence. My friend uses Advantage(that's what the vet gave to her).

http://www.revolution4cats.com/displ...ies=FL&sec=010 - Revolution

Last edited by BusterKitty; May 28th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.