Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM

weening a kitten??

Hey y'all! Its me again. Same kitten, NEW PROBLEM!
We're trying to introduce Mew our 4 week old kitten to some wet cat food. HE DOESNT WANT TO EAT IT!!!!!
its a little nerve racking.
We've tried everything to get him to eat. We've tried force feeding, mashing it up and putting it in with some formula, and rubbing some on his face. He's just not having any part in this.
When SHOULD we start weening him? and if any of you have had a stubborn kitten who refuses to ween, how did you get them to eat??
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

4 weeks is a little early to be starting regular food. I would give it another week. A few more days at the least.This little tyke has had a very rough start.
If you want to try just a bit at a time while still maintaining the bottle feeding - have you tried baby food? The chicken one with NO onions or garlic!! Cats "smell" their food. That is what starts the appetite going. Baby food is very strong smelling. It just may do the trick. It is also the consistency that would be easy for him to lick up. Much better than wet food.
You could also try a little bit of pablum. Mixed with his formula at first and then gradually getting a little thicker. You could put a little of his formula on a saucer and see if he would lap at it. Are you trying to feed him cat or kitten food? That may make a difference too. There are just so many variables when you are dealing with a unique situation.
I know this isn't a pat answer. I don't think there is one in your case except for patience, it will come.
Btw - LOVE the name! One of mine is named Mew too. He just turned a year old!

As for weaning - mom wouldn't start until about week 6.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ok, I just read your other post. You have a sister for him. Let him watch what she does. He will learn. If she is only 6 weeks old she is a little young to be away from mom too. You may have to teach them both!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Red face I kinda thought so, too

The six week old is weened. Her mom rejected her, so we figured we'd take her in and they could be company for each other. Mew is very stubborn. He is so funny. He guzzles down his bottle(even though I take it away from him a couple of times during the feeding to try to slow him down and get him to burp). Then, he curls up in my hair and falls asleep. They are getting along. They wrestle a lot. I just was worried that I was babying him too much. I suppose that when he is ready, he'll give up his bottle.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:49 PM
150% PRO S/N

He will. It may take a little longer because he hasn't had the usual upbringing but he will.
How many feedings are you giving him a day? Are you weighing him every day to make sure he is gaining weight? A baby scale works great for that. If he is gaining I wouldn't worry about the solid food for a while longer. He is only 4 weeks old. If he is still not weaned at around 8 or 9 weeks then I would worry.
Cute that he curls up in your hair.

Old June 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM

pictures of the kittens

that one is keekers, our little girl.

and that is mew, the younger brother.
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh what a little sweetie . I started weaning my foster kittens at 3.5 weeks and they DID NOT eat the food immediately either. The played in it and that was about it. They had their momma to show them that it is food so after a day or so, they were eating it. It was watered down with about 30% water.

Keep trying and have your 6 week old kitten eat in front of the younger one.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey