Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

How much glucosamine can I give Ms Atty?

I think I have mentioned one of my kitty's had a broken leg when she was a tiny little one. I took her to the vet last week to have it rechecked because she has been limping a lot worse lately and I wanted it checked. He said there is nothing they can do for her. He figures the bone healed wrong and that is why she has the limp. I asked if glucosamine would help keep the bone as strong as it could be so there isn't more prblems later. He was rather non commital about it until I pressed. He said it might help a little but probably not. He also did not give me a clear answer on how much I could give her.
So.... question is.... do you guys think it would help? And....how much to give her? I'm confused.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM

wish i could help you here.. cats are so much tinier.. i give my cat a liquid form and the instructions for the dosage make it easy with the dropper. glucosamine may very well help her limp.. although it primarily repairs cartilage and the joints, it can also take up to 4-8 weeks to see improvement but it can definitely do some good. there are a few liquid forms out one is arthrimaxx, another synflex, although i am sure some here can give you some better information in detail.
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM
~Cat Servent~

I started out giving Fagan the powder version mixed in food, I bought it from the vets (then saw it less than half price at Petsmart). That was pretty easy, to make sure he got it I would have to put it in yogurt and use a syringe, much easier if she already likes wet food and you can just sneak it in that way.

Now though I am giving it to three of them and using a treat... called Hip Action by Zukes from Pet Valu, much easier as I am just using it preventatively for the girls and Fagan who may end up with arthritis.

For Fagan, (his issues are: luxating paetellas, fusing of the spine and inevitable arthritis later on) I am also using traumeel, bought at a health food store in a liquid form, I add it to water and give it by syringe with his other holistic mix. Traumeel is supposed to help healing, especially in sports type injuries for us, I used it a bit when my back was bad. I put about 7-10 drops in a 1/4 cup of water and give one syringe at night and one in the am.

Hope that helps a bit for Ms Atty!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks loopoo. I know it's for cartilage and joints as I take it myself. I figured with the way she is walking there has to be some kind of extra effort being used by the joints. The poor little gals' foot bends under when she is walking. That's why I am looking for some relief for her. I want to make her leg as strong as it can be so when she is older she will be as comfortable as possible. Besides putting her on a diet, which is impossible to do with all the other kitties needing food, the vet says there isn't much to help her. I feel like there is.

krdahmer - thanks for the info. Atty is a food hog so it's no problem getting her to take something with food. I can count on her being almost the first one there (after Spazzy). She loves yogurt too. It shouldn't be any problem getting something down her with yogurt. It's nice to know I can get stuff at Pet Valu. It's the only pet store here besides a small family owned one where I don't feel welcome when I go.

I have lots of researching to do now. I was not impressed with the vet at all. Probably because he didn't tell me what I wanted to hear.

To top everything off my silly Mylee decided she was going to put her leg through the top bars of one of the dog crates today and pulled a muscle in her thigh. So.....hot water bottle, which she loves, and lots of rest. Yep, that's gonna happen. She is 8 months old and a ball of fire. The fun continues.......

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

According to Nutramax (makers of Cosequin) the recommended amount of glucosamine for an average cat is around 125mg per day, if that helps any.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks sugarcatmom.

Old June 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM

important info for 14+kitties

You said earlier that:

"I figured with the way she is walking there has to be some kind of extra effort being used by the joints. The poor little gals' foot bends under when she is walking."

Did you mention this to your vet? A foot bending under when an animal walks is a classic sign of neurological problems.
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks very much for your interest ina_minute. The vet is very aware of what is happening. He has watched her walk, checked her legs, done all the tests. If I notice things are not progressing the way I want them to she will be seeing another vet.

Old June 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
chronically insane.

http://www.dogswell.com/?title=104&pid=91

hope that helps. I give that and VitaKitty to my cats and they love it so I hope it does them good. Much easier to give them a pill or powder I imagine.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009