Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:27 PM

My Dog Eats Poop....advice?

I rescued a boxer, beagle and who knows what else mix named Bella. I've had her for 2 years and she is almost 3 now. She is a nervous dog, loves her kennel, spooks easily, more so by men than by women. She is a very nice, good dog... She gets along with my other dog and our 3 cats beautifully. She tries to get into the cat boxes, I have them blocked so she can't get to them... She sometimes eats her and the other dog, Molly's poop from outside... Today was the last straw...it is extremely cold right now and this morning the girls went out like normal, I checked on them shortly after letting them out, Bella had her paw up because she was cold so I let them in right away... Bella goes to her kennel like usual, I was talking to her about being cold, I look at her in her box and she had a 'poopsicle' stuck to her nose....... Eww is all I have to say. I'm pretty sure it is anxiety related, I feed everyone good nutrient rich food... Although I can't say what her early stages of life were like. I had a dog that ate her own poop when I was a kid... she was a wild stray though and I think it was more because she had to survive. I'm just wondering if the poop eating pills work, are they safe to buy from the pet store? If it is a nutrient deficiency what nutrient is it that they are lacking? Thanks!
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:48 AM

It's not a nutrient deficiency.. some dogs just like eating poop My suggestion would be to keep your yard clean, so she can't get to it (if that's possible). I have also read that adding pineapple to their diet it supposed to help as well.

Good luck!
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Our 4 year old rescue was nearly starved before we got her. Strangely she didn't start eating poop till she'd been with us, properly fed, for about two years. We got additives from our VEt, supposed to make her poop taste bad. Didn't work, she still ate it. We diligently cleaned the yard a couple of times a day for several months and she just stopped eating poop. I guess when it was not available she got out of the habit. We were lucky in that she only ate her own. It's harder to control when they eat other dogs and animals poop. Honestly, I've never heard anybody say those additives work.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:06 AM

The better the diet the pup has, the better the poop smells to them, to us smells disgusting, but to them it smells like their chicken, their beef or whatever it is they ate.

Bestia started doing that when he was smaller, we caught him a few times and just told him to stop (2 other times he puked it after he ate it, which was even grosser) the other thing too is we do keep our eyes on him when he goes outside and as soon as both dogs are done, the poops are cleaned up, its been months now since I saw him eating poop.

yup very gross!
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog Marty loves rabbit poopsicle! And he really loves it when there is snow on the ground. He think he eating rabbit poop ice cream. Only if I could sell this I would be rich! My last dog loves horse poop . Most dogs like to eat cat poop, I bet it's the fishy taste as all my dogs loved cat food. Maybe if you try putting some fish oil on your dog food and see if that helps keep him out the cat poop.
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I gotta agree, Jull--the only thing more disgusting that eating poop is throwing it up afterward inside. LOL

allanna, we have a number of poop-eaters here. We tried enzymes, pineapple, supplements, you name it--and the only thing that works for us is to keep it all cleaned up from the get-go. Still a challenge when all 8 go out at once, though, because our two worst offenders will go to opposite ends of the yard and poop at the same time, then try to consume it while it's still warm. Ack! We get a lot of running exercise during that first 'everybody outside' trip first thing in the morning.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:55 AM

Definitely diligent picking up right away is the best way. Also teach the dogs the "leave it" command.

When your dog goes after the poop always give the "leave it" command don't tell them "No"

Many many years ago my family had a dog that would "clean up" her own poop. She would try to eat it right away & had associated being told "No" when she would eat it meant she wasn't supposed to poop in the yard & she thought she was cleaning up. She never attempt to eat hers or any other poop out on a walk. Once we realized that she was told to "leave it" & didn't eat poop after that.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 26th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I gotta agree, Jull--the only thing more disgusting that eating poop is throwing it up afterward inside. LOL

allanna, we have a number of poop-eaters here. We tried enzymes, pineapple, supplements, you name it--and the only thing that works for us is to keep it all cleaned up from the get-go. Still a challenge when all 8 go out at once, though, because our two worst offenders will go to opposite ends of the yard and poop at the same time, then try to consume it while it's still warm. Ack! We get a lot of running exercise during that first 'everybody outside' trip first thing in the morning.
I had a dog roll in a fish head that was really ripe! She was so proud of herself when she came back smelling HELL! I had to drive home with all the
windows open and nearly vomit myself. She thought she smelled wonderful,
how can dogs not tell something smell so rotten when they have such a keen sense of smell ???
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I had a dog roll in a fish head that was really ripe! She was so proud of herself when she came back smelling HELL! I had to drive home with all the
windows open and nearly vomit myself. She thought she smelled wonderful,
how can dogs not tell something smell so rotten when they have such a keen sense of smell ???
I've dealt with the stinky dog all the way home as well, it's never any fun. Why do they do it? It's instinct and comes from when they had to mask their own scent when hunting. Also dogs don't judge things by "That's a bad smell" and "That's a good smell" that's a human thing. So , yes, it makes us want to puke but to them it's just a nice strong smell to mask their scent so they can hunt better.
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't think of anything that would worst that a rotten fish head .
I have thought of getting some apple bitter spray and spraying it on some rabbit poop to see if that would stop my dog from eating it. We have a ton of wild rabbits around here so Marty also has a fresh supply rabbit poop to eat. GROSS!
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:02 PM

I really appreciate everyone's imput, thank you everyone! bottom line is picking it up daily I guess... In the warmer months it is done more often and yeah, in the winter we slack a bit, ok a lot, lol. She already knows the leave it command when it comes to bringing toys into or out of the house... I'm going to try that and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted!
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Worse than rotten fish head would be rotting garter snake... and bitter apple worked when I would spray it on my daughter's pants and socks every morning when she was three and our puppy thought she was a chew toy...lol!
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, ya! Rotting garter snake would be pretty ripe..... Rotting musk!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanna1975 View Post
Worse than rotten fish head would be rotting garter snake... and bitter apple worked when I would spray it on my daughter's pants and socks every morning when she was three and our puppy thought she was a chew toy...lol!
That sounds bad too rotten garter snake. We really loves our dogs to put up with them rolling in dead animals .