Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 25th, 2004, 08:57 PM

Out raged

This really bothers me! I got a letter, put in my mail box, stating to go to the mail office to pick up a package. I got there, and there was a letter and package waiting for me, with no name for the return address. But what I got was a letter that read :

I am terrified to leave my front yard, or go into my backyard. Pitbulls are a menice to society, and deserve to be shot. Along with their agressive owners. I demand of you to use what I've sent, or actions will be taken.

He/She sent me two wire muzzles. If I don't put these on my dogs, can anything happen to them? I mean, if she calls the humane society or something, can they be taken from me? I see no reason for my dogs to even know what a muzzle is! They haven't once hurt anyone. I dont know what to do, this angers me so much, and I'm so scared.
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

MY GAWD!!! Lunatics are everywhere!! Have your dogs ever run loose, or shown aggression to anyone? Are pit bulls banned in your area?

If the answers are "no", then please ignore this idiot, who can't even spell his/her threats correctly and is too cowardly to sign his/her name.

Of course you are outraged, but you have no reason to be scared or worried!
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:18 PM

I don't think pitbulls are banned in Toronto. I know so many ppl who own them and have never had a problem. But some ppl have told me they are banned.. I doubt it tho.

My dogs have never run loose. Unless they were at an offleash park, but even then they stay close to me. Or when they're at the beach with me, they go swimming and jog, rollerblade etc. But they stay by my side when that's being done.

I'm just scared that they might be taken away from me.

had to edit cuz I forgot to add that they've never shown any signs of agression. Not towards anyone, or anything. They wont even put a stuffed animal in their mouth because they think it's real.
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

PBT's are NOT banned in T.O and there is NO muzzle law enforcement here for them.

Report this to TAS Toronto Animal Service, and The Humane Society as well as the Police!!

I am so sorry this happened to you AM
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:25 PM

I wouldnt worry about them being taken from you. I once had to call animal services due to 2 puppies being beaten, I could hear the actual hits through my floor in my apartment. When I called the humane society, they didnt even send anyone out to check it out, they said as long as I didnt see it they couldnt do anything.

If some whacko has a problem with Pit Bulls I'd say its just that, their problem. I'm pretty sure that nothing can be done just cause they dont like them.

Some people have way too much time on their hands...
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM

That's good news! That they're not banned, and they wont be taken away.
I dont know the name or address of the person who sent it. There was no return address.. Maybe the post office knows?
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

keep a close eye on the puppies, you dont know what a freak will do, and they obviously know where you live, keep a good eye on the dogs and i wuldnt be leaving them outside on their own for a while, god what a freak the person is..
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Do not handle it anymore then you have. Take it to your police department. Better yet, call the police to your house and give it to them on your front porch. Make sure you make it known that you want to file a report. Have the officers bag this as evidence, even if they don't want to take it-you want THEM to bag it, seal it and initial it.

This way if anything should happen to your dogs, you have something that you can use to find out who.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:09 PM

They don't go outside alone. Everytime they go into the backyard is whenever I'm out there throwing the ball for them. But you're right, I gotta keep an extremely close eye on them. Especially with what happened to Lucy at my previous residence - she got poisoned (rat poison)
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Also, make sure you do not give anyone reason to complain about your dogs. Do not have them off leash in public, or in dog parks - ever.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:13 PM

I don't take them to dog parks when ppl are there anymore. Haven't for about 2 weeks. The bully dog was getting too aggressive towards Chaos, and I feared that if it went any further that she wont take it anymore and attack him. I take them there around 2-3am. I haven't touched the muzzles at all. I just opened the box and saw them. I'll close the box back up and put it away till tomorrow. I'll def. call them. Thanks for the suggestion
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I am terrified to leave my front yard, or go into my backyard.
OK, this person obviously lives in his/her front yard, by the sound of it. This is a freak, and make it obvious that you will NOT put the muzzles on your dogs.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:22 PM

I have a feeling it's the lady who lives across the street from me.. because the day I moved in I was sitting on the front steps, and had my dogs behind me on the porch with a baby crate blocking so they couldn't go onto the front lawn, and she came outside with her kids and looked across the street, then picked them up and went back inside. Also, whenever I'm walking them, she crosses the street. I feel bad for making her feel uncomfortable around her own home, but I can't help but take my dogs out. They need to be comfortable too.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I feel bad for making her feel uncomfortable around her own home, but I can't help but take my dogs out. They need to be comfortable too.
This is true. Your dogs need to be comfortable, and the sidewalks are for everyone. And too bad if she feels uncomfortable around her own home. That is her problem, not yours, and she needs to get over it, or move away.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:45 PM

That is also true! if she says something, I should say that back to her..
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Don't say anything to anyone about the box or what you got!

Don't talk about it, hint about it or make comments to your neighbours.

Ignore it!

BUT Put everything in a plastic bag try not to touch any of it and contact the police.

Was your name on the box?
Old June 26th, 2004, 01:13 AM

I'm not going to say anything to anyone. My dad knows, but he came with me to get it. The name has the purolator sticker on it, with my first and last name and address written on it, as well, the envelope the letter came in has my name and address written on it by the person who sent it.
Old June 26th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Senior Contributor

this person is what i call a speciest, or perhaps a breedist in this case. oh please be careful, i dont want to read that some mongrel did something to your babies, buggers. it is definatly a neighbor (a non biased friend read this post and definatly agrees). it just sucks that they would do this, it makes you feel uncomfortable and consious of your dogs normal behaviour. well if they are in your yard or are restrained on leash there is darnwell nothing anyone can do to you. it just makes me so angry (as you are), how dare people intrude on your life. it truly is wrong that you will now worry about it, some people are so self obsessed and do their best to disturb the rest of us, your neighbours need to get a life. look, dont worry about the law, you are well within your rights. just be soooo careful, some people will do anything for attention including hurting innocent animals, oh poor babies perahps you can think about training them not to accept food and such, not a solution but may help..not that you should need to, mongrels
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Thankfully my dogs wont take anything from someone other than me and my dad. I don't know why they do it, but sure as hell glad! they just sniff it, and look at us for guidance on what's right. It's a good thing too, especially in this case, but it means I can take my dogs into pet stores, and convient stores, without having to worry that they'll eat something off the shelf. Also shows how smart pitbulls really are, and how polite too!

I've called the police about it, and they said that they'll send someone over within the next hour and that they're sad to hear that this has happened. Good to hear that they're on my side!

-EDIT- The police have come They took the box with the letter and put it in a bag, and initialed the bag. They asked to meet the dogs, so I introduced them. Complimented on how they stayed in the hallway while the cops were talking to me in the living room This makes me feel really good, especially because they took the report and put that there seems to be no signs of agression, and they're well trained I'm crying I'm so happy.
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Excellent! Now the police know about this nutcase, and also that your dogs are good dogs.

You might want to get a letter from your vet stating that your dogs are well-behaved and non-aggressive. Never know when you might need it.

I would love to see pics of them. Can you post some?
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Me too, love to see some pictures
Old June 26th, 2004, 12:30 PM

If it was sent by purolator, there is some paper work with purolator about this package, by the package you gave the police, they should be able to establish the address of the person who did this to you by contacting purolator and giving them the number on the paper where your address was written. It had to be picked up, so they will have an address. If it would have gone throught the mail, then it's different because anyone could just put the right amount of postage stamps on the package and drop it in a box with no return address. I sure hope they find who did this to you because it is harassement. When you had the box you should have called Purolator and told them about this and that you had been harassed, this is very unfair to you! Good luck!
Old June 26th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Amo,I am so sorry for you and your dogs,but you have nothing to worry about other than the nutcase who sent you this package,maybe she's a member of PETA
I see you already watch your dogs carefully,but be extra cautious with your back yard,it does not take much to poison a dog.
I have a nut-case across the street from me,she's threatened to burn down peoples houses,why I don't know,she's sent notes to at least 20 houses saying she's a convicted arsonist...police can do nothing unless she actually starts a fire,had me worried for a while!!
I am glad the police knows about your package,just be careful,but this person don't have a leg to stand on,your dogs have done nothing wrong,other than being pit-bulls and they are not banned in TO.
Old June 26th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Anyone who blames the breed, and not the deed, should educate themselves, and stop swallowing the hysterical and sensationalistic media crap.

We know how reliable the press is, in their quest for more readers. I bet most of the people who wouldnt' want you as a neighbour have never met a pit bull in person, and are ignorant of anything about them except what is spoon-fed to them by the media. People need to do their own thinking.

Need proof?
Got to the American Temperament Test Society and see that pit bulls score higher than America's sweetheart, the Golden Retriever.
ATTS
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:55 PM

The police have told me that they're going to keep this stuff on all record, and if anything does happen, then they will contact purolator then. Hopefully the information there wont get lost

How would I come about doing a temperment test, just so I have proof that they're not agressive? I called my vet and she came and dropped off a letter that was signed by the staff at the clinic saying that they're wonderful dogs, and have a great temperment and show no sign of agression. But a temperment test would be better to have on hand, even it nothing goes forward with this person.

As for my back yard, me and my dad cleaned everything out today. Took out anything that had water in it, or could have water held in it, so she couldn't put poison in that. Threw away all their toys that were outside, and bought new ones that are going to be taken inside when not in use now. We put a better lock on our gate too. We talked about putting up wood fences rather than the regular wire ones we have now.. but since we rent we'd have to talk to the landlord. We put those children gates in the areas where we wouldn't be able to see the dogs if they were out there by themself. Is there anything else I could do to make my backyard more safe for them?

There's alot of crazy ppl out there, and that must've been terrifying to hear about someone wanting to set fire to homes in your neighborhood I wouldn't have been able to sleep till I knew something wasn't going to happen. People who send letters like that, should be put somewhere where they couldn't do harm to other people.

Mother of 1 child (JJ), 1 German Shepherd (Loki), 1 black & white LH kitten (Ms. Puss In Boots), 3 Bearded Dragons (Puff, Dudley, and Smog), 1 Hedgehog(Tony), and unwanted pets for readoption.
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Momof4and6furries

You can get your dog accredited with a 'good citizen' award - I think usually through agencies that handle 'therapy dogs' Maybe someone else knows more about this.
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

AM04 - check your pm's please!
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sounds like you and your family are doing all the right things!

Too bad you have to but it's better then being sorry! I'm not sure if you do this now but before you let them off lead in the yard you should check around make sure nobody has 'dumped' anything for them to pick up like poisoned food bits.

It may very well be that nothing will come of this hysterical idiot who sent you this junk mail..thats just what it is junk!

IF you get another parcel that isn't expected, call the police officer that dealt with your issue and advise another one is waiting for you.
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:18 PM

Yeah, we cleaned out everything in the backyard. Even all the leaves that were there before, all the sticks are gone too. all our backyard is now is grass and dirt we had actually found pack of slightly opened hotdogs when we first moved in, and all I could think about was the hotdogs that were put in the park near my house that killed some dogs, and made many sick since then we've been checking for stuff along those lines every couple hours.

Mother of 1 child (JJ), 1 German Shepherd (Loki), 1 black & white LH kitten (Ms. Puss In Boots), 3 Bearded Dragons (Puff, Dudley, and Smog), 1 Hedgehog(Tony), and unwanted pets for readoption.
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I sent u a pm Am

haha am pm pm am
lmao