Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Talking Which Breed

So my parents have decided to let me buy a dog. . Now i just got to decide which one i want. I'm stuck between 4 breeds. 1 Husky 2 retriever 3
collie and 4 shepherd. I'm looking for a mix with any of these breeds so i wanna know the best one. can any one tell me these dogs behaviors?

Thanks,
Milan
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here is a really good "k9 selector". It's really good at finding the breed that's best for you and your family! Make sure you keep your entire family in mind while answering these questions.

http://www.k9country.com/perl/dogBreed.pl

Let us know the results!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

the dogs you have chosen are what is that based on because they are 4 very very different breeds! has your family owned a dog before, what is your experience with them? if you have limited experience with dogs i would steer clear of a husky or shepherds as they are generally not recommended for first time dog owners.
all the dogs you picked need a ton of exercise (not just in a back yard) i would say each of them need a good hour (two hours in the later puppy phase) to be adequately exercised.
do you plan on attending obedience classes or have a strong back ground in training a dog?
how old are you? whos dog will this be? are you planning to go to college? because you more than likely won't be able to take the dog with you.

i have experience with huskies and shepherds.
huskies- always need to be on a leash, they have a tendency to roam, needing a well fenced yard. they are also very stubborn at time and require alot of patience when training. I would say more than you average dog. they are hilarious and have a wonderful sense of humour and the personality of a toddler!
shepherd- you want to be aware of all of the family members training methods. I would suggest only positive reinforcement training with this breed especially as being rough with this breed can have disastrous consequences. they are very protective and loyal you do not need to train them to be this way as some would think. they have a high incident of hip dysplagia- an expensive and debilitating disease. make sure if you go to a breeder to screen for this. and if get a rescue i would get an xray soon afterwards so if it is there you can start some preventative measures to minimize arthritic build up.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
head in the clouds

lucky you!
Although all the breeds you like need a Lot of exercise etc... there are highly active dogs as far as I am aware so you will have to be willing to put a few walking hours in daily!!

let us know what you pick in the end!
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Chicago and the surrounding area has several large shelters where dogs are euthanized every day. My best advice would be to go to a couple of them and see what they have. I promise - if you go in with an open mind and don't expect to find the "perfect" dog on your first trip - you will find the "perfect" dog. And you may well be surprised at what it is a mix of.
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Shelters and rescues are a great idea.On hip dysplasia,the chart by the OFA with rankings by breed is interesting http://www.offa.org/hipstatbreed.html
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the help but i have chosen the retriever. I'm fourteen and not going to collage any time soon. I'm a very active person because i play soccer and exercise 4 times a week for a good 3 hours. I'm not sure if i'll attend obedience school but this will be my first dog. i was thinking on getting a bunch of books and studying a lot before i actually get the dog. And it will be my dog.
Thanks for all the help and if you got any training tips please post

Thanks again-
Milan