Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

View Poll Results: To crop or not to crop?
Yes to cropping 3 9.38%
No to cropping 29 90.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM
-

Cropped or not

I assume that the amount of dogs getting their ears has dropped, and I know that many vets are no longer doing them. Also the breed standard has changed for many breeds allowing them to compete uncropped. I am curious, would you crop or leave natural. When I got my dane only one of the eight pups had the ears done. I didn't want the ears done but as I was checking out breeders I came across several that wouldn't sell their pups w/o ears done. I know why many of them want their puppies ears done, I have seen some pretty funky looking ears all twisted over their head. All the ones I have met were still wonderful. I have also seen some pretty awful hack jobs which make you ask, why would you do that to a dog?

So my question is Crop or not?
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:59 PM

What kind of dog is it? I didn't vote because I don't know what kind of dog it is and really it depends on your oppinion. If a breeder won't sell the dog if you won't have the ears done and you don't want them done definatly look for another breeder. I personally like dobies ears cropped, but I like boxer and pitts ears natural. A lot of people don't like it and think it's cruel, I don't believe it is but I do respect their oppinions. I had dobies when I was young and having their ears cropped never seemed to bother them, even right after we brought them home from the vet.

If you do decide to crop it is very important to find a very good vet. We went to a vet 2 and a half hours away who charged much more then our regular vet to have our dogs ears done, but it was worth it because he specialized in that particular sugery. If you end up looking for a vet make sure you ask lots of questions and ask for references from other vets and patients. Hopefully there will be other people who had their dogs done by that vet that will allow you to see their dog and talk to you about it. Also make sure the vet is willing to completly explain the surgery and give you a paper on how to care for your dog post op as well as explain what the paper says to you theirself.

Whatever you decide I'm sure your dog will be beautiful.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat

Last edited by Jackie467; July 25th, 2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:17 PM
-

Cropping any dog.
I have met many new dane parents with pups that hadn't had ears done but were actually considering it because everyone thought their young puppy was a lab. After explaining that they cut off half the ear when cropping and the fact that they haven't developed the slope on their forehead yet that defines the face as that of a dane and that if the ears were going to be done they should have been when puppy was 5 wks. None of them had the ears done and after a couple of months their pups started to look like a beautiful little dane.

I also met this girl that had a Rottie x and wanted to get his tail docked at 6 months so that he would resemble a rottie. She even had spoke to a vet who was actually going to do the surgery. We all know that docking is to be done only days after birth. This decision was strictly for cosmetic reasons and not for any other reason. I know in rare cases tails are docked later on due to continuous breaks. I can't believe she wanted to do this and worse that there was a vet willing to do it.

Last edited by StaceyB; July 25th, 2005 at 10:17 PM.
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

i consider ear cropping incredibly cruel and in my state of australia it is illeagle to do as is the tail....

please dont do it, its totally not necessary for any physical reason these days and is now purely aesthetic..
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:29 PM

Never Crop Ears!!

NEVER CROP EARS!! That's what I say (or yell). My dobie had his done at least 3 times before we got him at 3 years old, and they never stayed up. They ended up all scarred and crunchy and they were so small.

Skin stretches. It just does. That is what it is supposed to do. So you crop and then the dog spends a month healing, only to have them fall down eventually. I have never seen an elderly dobie with its ears still up. Waste of time, waste of money, and unnecessary pain.

You could say, "The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind..." and if they're cropped, they just won't. (I'm sleepy)

There is beauty in natural things. Why do we always have to go and mess it up?

And if having a scary dog is somehow necessary, I say the ears don't matter. You can have a really scary looking dog without the ears up.

Floppy ears are always better.

See? Floppy ears AND scary. No need for surgery. (sorry if you don't want pics in your thread)
Attached Images

Last edited by Prin; July 25th, 2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:47 PM
-

That made me giggle. I remember when Montana was a young pup we used to say he could fly with those things. He has finally grown into them.
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Helicopter Champion

I voted no to cropping. I feel that the standards should all be changed to only consider the natural form of the animal i.e. if a dog naturally has pricked ears, then the standard should be for pricked ears, if floppy, then floppy, etc.
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I much prefer Dane's "au naturel". It adds to their personality. I'm always happy when I pick one up and the ears have been left.
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:27 PM
-

The interest in cropping has dropped more than I thought it had, very impressed.
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:28 PM

I am not a fan of cropping but do think Dobes look better cropped!!! I have a Dobe but her ears were done prior to me adopting her from the pound and I have to admit I wasn' upset when I saw them.... As for docking, I am thankful my Dobe doesn't have a tail... She would be clearing the coffee table daily!

Old July 26th, 2005, 12:33 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again- Aren't dog shows a showcase of genetics? Ear cropping is not about genetics at all, it's about who has the best doggy cosmetic surgeon.
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't mind the tails done, however, I could never bring myself to do it. I prefer natural ears (and tail).
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM
-

I agree, how can one determine best of breed when they have been altered.
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I said it before and I'll say it again- Aren't dog shows a showcase of genetics? Ear cropping is not about genetics at all, it's about who has the best doggy cosmetic surgeon.
Absolutely true! Sadly the Dobe, boxer, dane etc were never bred for a good 'natural ear' but I know many MinPin breeders are now breeding for a better natural ear, my one MinPin Chopper looks like his ears are done (people ask me all the time) but they are 100% natural, this obviously would be preferred to cropping....

Here's photo of Chop:

Old July 26th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
do. So you crop and then the dog spends a month healing, only to have them fall down eventually. I have never seen an elderly dobie with its ears still up.
First of all, the dog doesn't spend a month healing. An incision is healed within a week to ten days just like a cut on your own finger.

And then, I don't know where on earth you're seeing elderly Dobermans but if they were cropped properly and then given appropriate aftercare and posting, the ears are up for good when the dog is alert and chooses to use them. Maybe you're confused about cropped ears -- dogs don't keep them up every second of the day. They raise them when they are alert or interested in something, and the rest of the time the ears lie down. Senior Dobermans certainly don't lose the ability to put their ears up if they had the ability in the first place.

If I could figure out to insert a pic, I'd gladly put one in of one of my two senior Dobes, both with cropped and standing ears. One is nearly 12, the other is 10 1/2. I'm going to try to attach a file, hope it works. This is the one that is nearly 12.
Attached Images

Old July 26th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Well, jump me if you want, but I prefer au naturelle. I am intensely against anything that causes pain to a dog, simple for esthetics. If it's meant to be there, leave it alone, tail or ears, straight or floppy. I hate it when humans impose their preferances for certain looks on an animal, any animal, dobbie or boxer etc. If there's a health reason, it's a different story, but when it's just for looks, then I'm against it.

Prin, I completely agree, and I always wondered about that with dobies at the shows. Why do the ears have to be cropped to look good against genetics
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Me too,its cruel IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1233
Well, jump me if you want, but I prefer au naturelle. I am intensely against anything that causes pain to a dog, simple for esthetics. If it's meant to be there, leave it alone, tail or ears, straight or floppy.
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Well, jump me if you want, but I prefer au naturelle.
I could care less what your preference is. Feel free to prefer whatever you want.

However, I do care about you passing along incorrect information. Saying that cropping takes a month to heal and that the ears eventually fall is just false information.
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Cropping is mutilation.As far as breeds that are cropped not being bred for ear carriage that's true only in countries that still allow this barbaric practice.We brought our dobie with us when we moved from England,he had beautiful soft natural ears.If kennel clubs stop allowing cropped ears to be shown more breeders will be breeding for ear structure which is genetic not surgically altered.As far as it beig like a cut that heals in a week,I have never seen a cropped dog completely healed in a week,imagine if you cut OFF half your ear,not nicked your finger.The sooner this disgusting cruelty is banned here the better.
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA
As for docking, I am thankful my Dobe doesn't have a tail... She would be clearing the coffee table daily!
Ahh, but having your tables cleared within 5 minutes of putting something on them is part of the excitement! At least that's what I experience with a dog whose tail is made for a dog three times her size!
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM

MaryAndDobes You should

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAndDobes
I could care less what your preference is. Feel free to prefer whatever you want.

However, I do care about you passing along incorrect information. Saying that cropping takes a month to heal and that the ears eventually fall is just false information.
Excuse me, since you quoted me in your post # 18, I did not pass on incorrect information, nor did I comment on the healing time, and the ears eventually falling as I've never had that experience or a Dobbie. All I stated was my preference, which I'm entitled to, as are you.

Before you are so rude to ANYONE, you should make sure YOU have all your facts straight.

Last edited by shannon1233A; July 26th, 2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Well, jump me if you want, but I prefer au naturelle. I am intensely against anything that causes pain to a dog, simple for esthetics. If it's meant to be there, leave it alone, tail or ears, straight or floppy. I hate it when humans impose their preferances for certain looks on an animal, any animal, dobbie or boxer etc. If there's a health reason, it's a different story, but when it's just for looks, then I'm against it.

Prin, I completely agree, and I always wondered about that with dobies at the shows. Why do the ears have to be cropped to look good against genetics
I totally agree with you

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:34 PM

I wonder what Heir Doberman would say to all of you who appose what HE created and made?! He made the doberman and he wanted the ears cropped, it was his standard that was accepted by the registry....

I feel it should be an option available to people and should ONLY be performed by a qualified vet if need be. I personally wouldn't choose to do it but I do apprecaite having the choice.
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

I'd never do it- but if I adopt a Dane from the shelter and it's ears are cropped, fine. I don't mind the look- but it is almost animal cruelty to me.

And I agree about the dog shows.

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, since you quoted me in your post # 18, I did not pass on incorrect information, nor did I comment on the healing time, and the ears eventually falling as I've never had that experience or a Dobbie. All I stated was my preference, which I'm entitled to, as are you.

Before you are so rude to ANYONE, you should make sure YOU have all your facts straight.
You're right, it wasn't you that said that. It was Prin that passed along the false information.

Of course you're entitled to your preference. I was not trying to change that. However, it should be based on factual information unlike the info that Prin posted.
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise
As far as it beig like a cut that heals in a week,I have never seen a cropped dog completely healed in a week,imagine if you cut OFF half your ear,not nicked your finger.
I'm not comparing it to a "nick" in your finger. If you cut your finger and required stitches, it wouldn't be different from a cropping incision.

I've owned Dobermans for 24 years, I've bred 7 litters - all puppies were cropped. Obviously, I've experienced much cropping aftercare. The stitches are removed in a week, and that is when the incision is healed. They don't take stitches out of incisions that aren't healed!
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

Hmm. A real breeder on here?

I don't mind if you crop the ears, but I hope it's done under anesthesia.

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Performance Spaniels

Dobes look like hounds rather than the regalness they are meant to have when uncropped. I think they look funny..

But on other breeds especially danes, I prefer uncropped.. Especially since a lot of dane crops look bad, but it's a harder crop to do I've been told.
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Er. Wrong again MaryAnd Dobes

Quote:
You're right, it wasn't you that said that. It was Prin that passed along the false information.

Of course you're entitled to your preference. I was not trying to change that. However, it should be based on factual information unlike the info that Prin posted.
Ummm appology (I think) accepted..

But you're wrong again:
Quote:
However, it should be based on factual information unlike the info that Prin posted
You are assuming I based my preferance on what Prin posted. That is NOT true. It's a preference based solely on what I have observed, and how I feel about putting an animal through pain only because you want to change the way it looks. Seems totally selfish on a humans part, always felt that way, but that's just me. I've always felt that way, always will.

Last edited by shannon1233A; July 26th, 2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Mary, it's nice to see you here!! Thanks for all you do to help the doggies!!

I love Dobies, and I must admit a nicely cropped one is a beautiful sight.

I would never crop the ears of my pit bull, as I feel it's done for the wrong reasons with this breed and to me is not esthetically pleasing. I like my dog's soft little flappers!
Closed Thread