Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 12th, 2012, 11:31 PM

HELP!!!! My dog lost control of his hind legs today

My 6yr old Australian shepherd Loki and i were out for a standard mountain bike ride. It is something we do a few times a week and during one of our water breaks he seemed to have lost control of his hind legs. He was still walking and was not in any pain but he was stumbling around - the best way i can describe it is he seemed to have a no feeling in his legs similar to the way i would if my foot had fallen asleep. We ended the ride at that point and i got him to slowly walk with me which he did without hesitation or complaint. He was not in pain and his attitude did not change, he was still excited to be out for a ride. The strangest thing is he was totally back to normal within 5 or 10 minutes of the onset of his symptoms and hasnt shown any signs since then (appox 4hrs since the incident).

He was fine while running but after getting a drink and laying down for a few minutes the symptoms started. Im just wonderig if anyone has any idea what could have caused this! Im worried about my little guy!

Thanks
Matt
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Willing cat servant

I really don't know what could it be but you might have to do what many of us fear ... A visit to the vet (I fear the bill big time yeah but I do it). It may be nothing or you might be able to catch something on time for treatment.
Maybe someone here has experienced a similar thing with their dogs that could give you an idea or a possible cause.
Old September 13th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpavlik View Post
My 6yr old Australian shepherd Loki and i were out for a standard mountain bike ride. It is something we do a few times a week and during one of our water breaks he seemed to have lost control of his hind legs. He was still walking and was not in any pain but he was stumbling around - the best way i can describe it is he seemed to have a no feeling in his legs similar to the way i would if my foot had fallen asleep. We ended the ride at that point and i got him to slowly walk with me which he did without hesitation or complaint. He was not in pain and his attitude did not change, he was still excited to be out for a ride. The strangest thing is he was totally back to normal within 5 or 10 minutes of the onset of his symptoms and hasnt shown any signs since then (appox 4hrs since the incident).

He was fine while running but after getting a drink and laying down for a few minutes the symptoms started. Im just wonderig if anyone has any idea what could have caused this! Im worried about my little guy!

Thanks
Matt
Maybe his knee popped out of it joint. My dog Marty was having a hard time lifting his hind leg to pee and wanting me to help him get in the car. I took him to the vet and found Marty has trick knees . His knees where popped back into place and he can lift his little leg to pee freely again.
Old September 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lots of different possibilities that could have caused this. It could be he's got some injury or arthritis of the spine that is putting pressure on nerves. It might also have been a mild seizure. Best to have a vet check him out to narrow down the diagnosis.

I hope you get some answers soon! Please keep us posted on what the vet says about Loki.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Does EIC run in Aussies? Exercise Induced Collapse? My other thought was, how hot was it? Collapse from heat exhaustion though, typically takes hours and hours to recover from (and can kill) while an EIC episode can be over in a few minutes.