Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Pete

Getting a Daxie

Hi Im getting a new puppy; a male mini short-hair daxie. I've been reading a lot and it seems the are lot of posts which are scaring me and my puppy Mooshie isn't even home yet. I am aware of their stubborn nature and health problems related to their spines. Is there anyone who can give me positive info about Daxies; Im getting a bit nerveous after reading some of these posts which seem to highlight more problems then good. Please boost my confidence, I really want to have a good pet and Im prepared to do my part of the work to make this successful.

Pete
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Since many people don't find us until they have problems, we do get our fair share of scary threads. I've known dachshunds that have lived to the ripe old age of 15, healthy to the end.

You're already a step ahead because you're doing your homework. Knowing where the possible pitfalls are can help you avoid them.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM

I dog sit my neighbours 12 year old medium length hair doxie, she is so full of energy even at 12 its like shes still 2-3. She definitely does has a funny has the doxie personality. She came from Austria when she was just a pup and it very soundly built with no issues medically.
My aunt also had a mini doxie, last time I saw her she was 11 or so, a bit slow and gray, but also in good medical health, was easily house broken, and I don't think they had any issues with her either.
Old January 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I know a 16 year old Mini Dachshund who has never experienced back problems. I am so happy for this little guy - and sad that my guys didn't have same luck. The first thing I would do since you live in Canada is check with VetInsurance and see if they still cover Dachshund Disc Disease (Neck and Back) and if they do, enroll pronto before any signs of a problem present themselves. (I have this on my Eskimo, VetInsurance did not exist when we adopted our last Dachshund and I was very surprised when I found out they covered this condition, but not hip dysplasia.) The payment method by VetInsurance would be to your advantage but I would go with no more than the $100 deductible. If you do this, and something happens - THIS WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY! I don't know the temperament of the pup you are getting - personally, I love the Super Alpha (but benevolent, love their Mommy above all) guys - not everyone does - and these days pups seem to be being bred with a more middle of the road temperament, which also might be very happy news for you! I am happy that you have reviewed the threads and are aware of the potential problems - obviously many original posters did not do their homework, hence the unfortunately sad advice that had to be given. I would also make/buy some form of ramp - not stairs - to reach the bed and couch - and try to keep pup off the stairs - and weight under control - not easy - and a Dachshund no matter how small can somehow get food from the cupboard - they love face cream too. If you think your Dachshund won't be getting into your bed - I give it 2 days - they love to snuggle deep into a duvet and then come out gasping for breath - and then go back under even if it is a hot summer night. Also try to go under the couch cushions - little burrowers that they are. Don't forget to get a nice little coat/sweater - and bear in mind that you will need to account for barrel chest. They love freshly washed sweaters - my guys were not stuff in theirs. Would also use a harness, rather than a collar. Make sure your vet is well experienced with Dachshunds - mine were and are even more so now. I really hope all goes well with your pup and want to see pictures. Dachshunds will forever be first in my heart - and the only dogs that cause a worried look in my Eskie's eyes when we see one. His long legs have taken a while to get used to after the short legs of the very big, little guys. My husband's family lives in Ottawa and we were there over Christmas. Dachshunds do not like this weather!