Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hard to believe they've come so far in just a few short weeks!!! They grow so fast!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,he looks ready to fly,I hope when he tries,he really is ready
Thank's Winston for keeping us up-dated,I love to follow the progress of these soon to be beautiful birds.
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

There are tons of folks watching out for them so we can only hope for the best!

Update from today!

ALMOST ALL BROWN NOW!

Monday June 13, 2011 - Falconwatch Coordinator Annika Samuelsen reports: Today was mostly overcast with a little light rain in the late afternoon. Pigott continues to progress and is now up and flapping more often on the ledge. Gore and Thompson were observed preening each other throughout the day. All three chicks spent a lot of time up on the ledge, either perched or laying flat on their bellies with legs extended backwards. They shared a medium-sized bird one of the adults dropped off at the nest mid-morning, taking turns tearing off pieces of meat with their beaks and manipulating them with their feet. Pigott still has quite a bit of down left on her head, rump and legs, while Gore and Thompson have almost completely molted into their brown juvenile plumage. The youngsters went to bed with their tummies full after Madame X delivered another medium-sized bird to the nest just before 9 PM, shown in the image at left. Note Pigott's still very white head.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Any day now!

The chicks are getting restless and mom & dad are trying to entice them out of the nest....its a waiting game! I wonder if the chicks bet on who's gonna fledge first!!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I suspect the conversation goes more like, "Be my guest!" "Oh, no--ladies first!" "Go for it, bro!" "Nah, that's okay, but if you wanna try it first...." "Age before beauty, m'man!" Then one day, someone will accidentally step off the edge, the wings open and the rest is history...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Pretty much!

However Piggot the female & the largest has been doing an awful lot of flapping and I am thinking she is saying something to the effect like go ahead I dare ya!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So instead of one of the boys accidentally stepping off the ledge, they might get a gentle nudge?

Old June 16th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I imagine the falconwatchers are biting their nails this morning!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

omd Ah, well....it's what falcons do!!! No height phobias there!

How close to flying do they think they are? If one fell off, think they could figure it out and land safely somewhere?

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW Winston,I hope they are ready to fly,there are no practise-flights,it's the real thing of that ledge...
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I guess i was right this morning!

Here is the update so far!

Thursday June 16, 2011 - Falconwatch Coordinator Alexis Jordan reports: As you can see from the image at left, at 08:23:16 this morning all three chicks were standing on the east end of the ledge.

Ten seconds later one of them was gone and the other two were looking down (left) to see where he went.

Just three minutes later, as Falconwatchers were becoming aware that something had happened, Surge arrived at the ledge with food. Twenty seconds later Madame X arrived on the ledge with more food. Talk about confusion!!!! In short order Gore was found walking on the edge of the lower roof of the Thomson Building, getting his bearings. At 11:00 he was still alternating explorations trips along the roof edge with little snoozes. One away! Stay tuned!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

No doubt Piggot dared him!

Did Mom and Pop notice he was gone right away? I hope he got a quick meal for his daring exploits.

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,I hope he can fly back up for food
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I suspect Surge and Madame X will search him out and come to him with meals, chico. He definitely won't starve as long as they can catch food!

Old June 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico its a tough one! the reason being is that this is the time when the food slows down and it forces them to attempt to get back to the nest for food. Other times Mom or Dad brings them in a meal. I suspect if he figures out how to get to the rooftop of this building he is on he will get fed. Right now he is on a ledge so its more difficult to bring food in. Its a wait an see kind of thing.

Having said all that Gore is a boy and they usually have no fear whatsoever and he will continue to be on the move and make his way back eventually. No one really mentioned how his first flight was yet cause I think they may have missed it. Usually the first flight is not so graceful and he is probably one lucky falcon that he didnt fall to the street.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Is the ledge too small for Surge and Madame X to land on, Winston? I hope the little guy figures out it's time to move, then! And I hope Surge and Madame X can count!

Old June 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well what I suspected actually happened! here is an update...

It was Thompson that flew not Gore! see update below.

Thursday Afternoon June 16, 2011 - Falconwatch Coordinator Alexis Jordan reports: Early this afternoon the chick on the Thomson building tried to fly back up to the Sheraton to get some of the food that Madame X had carried past him a minute before. Try as he might, he just couldn't make it up to the nest ledge, so he turned and glided down to the Copps Coliseum plaza where we were able to rescue him. On arrival at our rehabitilation facility for a check up it was determined that: a) The chick is in very good health, lean without a lot of muscle because he hasn't flown much yet, and b) It is Thomson, not Gore as previously thought. The confusion was a result of the colour bands being smaller and not as distinctive as those used last year. The photo of the rescue at left is courtesy of Morgan Hapeman, a UPS pilot and volunteer at Raptor Rehabilitation of Kentucky Inc. (RROKI) who happened to be staying at the Sheraton between flights.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Holy catz! What would they do in the wild?

So do they put the youngster back up on the natal ledge?

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well Hazel it really depends on alot of factors. First off it didnt sound like he had anything injured. They always take them to the rehab facility for a check up when they come down in that way. He likely hit pretty hard and that would be the fear. They also indicated he has no muscle and what they normally do in this case is put him in a flight cage and make his wings strong. They will feed him quail and lots of yummy things so at the very least he will eat for sure! sometimes they put meds in the quail meat.

As for returning to the ledge "no". If its a quick visit to rehab and back then they will release him on a nearby or even the roof of the nest building usually under the cover of darkness. Most of them just hang out on the roof until Mom and Dad come to visit or they make another attempt at flight??

If Thompson is gone for an extended period they will decide where to release her. A couple of years ago a youngin named Blue Foot was gone from the nest for over 2 weeks. They returned her to the roof as usual but suspected their might be a problem. Blue Foot was a great flyer and she took off from the roof and Surge went after her, stooping her and he actually knocked her into one of the buildings twice. Madame X and her other fledgling came to her and Surge stopped. So even after a couple of weeks its a tough call on whether the parents forget them and think its an intruder.

The facility has done a faboulous job in the past so I am confident she will come home without any issues.

Now for the other 2...they had a nice BIG meal and where asleep when I checked last...but you never know the natives could be restless!!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Here are a couple of pics from the camera today when Thompson was on the ledge one moment and GONE the next!! Check out the other 2!!!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Gore flew the coop this morning @ 7:37am...still waiting for an update.....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Love the pic of Gore and Piggot looking over the ledge at Thompson!

And for a successful landing and return for Gore!!!! How exciting! The babies leaving the nest ledge.

Won't Surge and Madame X go looking for them if they're not on the ledge? Did they even seem to notice that Thompson was gone?

Old June 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

update from the site

TWO AWAY - THOMSON COMING BACK

Friday June 17, 2011 - Senior Monitor Mike Street reports: At 07:37 this morning Gore left the nest ledge, possibly by accident when Pigott spread her wings and started flapping strongly, possibly on his own because Surge and Madame X had been doing a bit of a tango with food on both roofs of the Standard Life Building. That's where Gore was located a few minutes later. He quickly started exploring his new surroundings, occasionally 'pancaking' on his tummy for a rest. At last report Falconwatchers were located on Bay Street as well as in the usual spots to keep a close eye on this guy. BREAKING NEWS: 11:15 - Thomson has been given a clean bill of health and will be back at the Sheraton later this afternoon. It has been noted that his flight yesterday was exactly one year to the day of the first chick flight last year.

WHAT A DAY!!!

Thursday Evening June 16, 2011 - Falconwatch Coordinator Alexis Jordan reports: THANKS to all the volunteers who helped out today! Some showed up outside of their time slot or left a lot later than their scheduled time or came in early or even when they weren't on the schedule or called family members to come and help out. We really couldn't have managed today's events without each and every one of them. Things were on the move early. Half an hour before my arrival a chick had left the ledge, possibly or even probably an accidental slip, and I had to sort out the logistics of the situation with, of course, advice from others. The lesson of the day seems to be "Never turn away from a chick that is hungry if there is food nearby". Thomson left the ledge just before the first meal of the day was delivered, and took his next flight after the second meal arrived at the nest. With the many eyes on hand (still never enough) we managed a smooth rescue. The rest of Thursday went well, with a couple angry gulls, a very unwary pigeon that became food right in front of our eyes, and a lone Turkey Vulture that got an unwelcome visit from Madame X and Surge. With a total of at least four food captures and an overall six meal drop-offs since dawn, after lots of flapping the chicks retired to bed - peacefully, thank goodness. It was a long day for all of us.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston that is amazing to read,mom and pop seem to be doing a good job
I bet the Falcon-watchers/caregivers are really nervous..
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

update from the site

MORE EXCITEMENT!

Friday Evening June 17, 2011 - Falconwatch Coordinator Annika Samuelson reports: Today was another exciting day at Falconwatch. When I arrived this morning volunteers were already tracking Gore, who had taken his first flight and was hanging out on the west side of the Standard Life Building. He made a deliberate and controlled flight to the west side of the Robert Thomson Building a little later in the morning and stayed there for a while, walking confidently back and forth along the edge of the roof, exercising his wings frequently and bobbing his head. Head bobbing is how for falcons and other birds to calculate the distance to their next perch, and is often observed before they take flight. Just before lunch Gore took a misstep and slipped a few windows down. Although he was able to straighten himself out, he did not have enough power to fly to a higher roof and landed across King Street, six floors up on the east side of the Fairclough Building. The window ledges on Fairclough are slanted and there is very little to hold on to, but Gore managed to stay up there for the rest of the day. The adults flew by a couple times to see how he was doing but did not attempt to land beside him. When Falconwatch ended at dark this evening, Gore was still safe on the ledge, asleep.

Just after 16:00 this afternoon we welcomed back Thomson, who was returning after a quick medical checkup. The youngster took very little time to get his bearings, and within minutes of being placed on the Sheraton roof was up on the parapet, where Madame X brought him food almost immediately. Around 18:00 he walked over to the TV camera area and hopped back into the nest ledge, where he spent the rest of the evening with his sister. In the image at left Thomson is hunched down a bit and Pigott is stretching, but the normal difference in size between male and female Peregrine chicks can be easily seen. Pigott, being larger and so heavier, has yet to attempt her first flight, but we are watching her closely in anticipation of it. Thanks again to all the volunteers who turned out today. We certainly needed all the help we could get and are very grateful for your contributions.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well Piggot is alone again...This morning both Thompson and Gore made some strong flights and are doing well. Thought I would post these couple of close up shots of Piggot from yesterday. Isn't she beautiful. I love the brownish color they get....
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Love the fuzzy topknot!!!

Wow, those boys are surely adventuresome!! When do they figure Piggot will take the big leap?

Old June 18th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

They figure a couple of days! Except Mom & Dad keep feeding her....she needs to lighten up a few notches!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So she needs to convert body fat into wing muscles? Me, too!!!

Old June 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww Winston she is a beauty for sure
Thank you for keeping us in the loop