Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Angels Trumpet

Last year we bought two of these (not knowing they were poisonous) so they now sit out in the locked up garden area where they are safe from kids and pets. The larger of the two is struggling this year but had a few trumpet flowers, but the smaller one, holy catz, it's in FULL bloom right now. The flowers have a very strong fragrance, and I can smell them all over the property.
Attached Images

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:00 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I absolutely love that plant!!! They have, or had, them planted all along the streets in Niagara on the Lake. I haven't been there this year so I'm not sure if they are back or not. It is so beautiful to see plant and plant of them as you walk along the streets.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

It is beautiful,I had no idea they were poisonous..
Last year I moved a plant(of course I forgot the name)that I was told was poisonous,even the leaves,it's now in a safe place in my frontgarden.
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ yes they would be lovely if there were one after the other. I do find their scent a bit powerful though, I'm not sure I wouldn't get a migrane if the whole road was covered in them....

Chico2 we didn't know they were poisonous either, you'd think the vendor might have mentioned it!!

I just noticed hubby's trowel in the plant pot - this is what retired bricklayers do with their trowels.... they garden.
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
It is beautiful,I had no idea they were poisonous..
Last year I moved a plant(of course I forgot the name)that I was told was poisonous,even the leaves,it's now in a safe place in my frontgarden.
Monkshood chico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
14+ yes they would be lovely if there were one after the other. I do find their scent a bit powerful though, I'm not sure I wouldn't get a migrane if the whole road was covered in them....

Chico2 we didn't know they were poisonous either, you'd think the vendor might have mentioned it!!

I just noticed hubby's trowel in the plant pot - this is what retired bricklayers do with their trowels.... they garden.
Vendors do not have to mention what plants are poisonous. When I sold to the public I did. I did not want anyone dying because of plants I sold. Although I do believe some tags will mention if the plants are poisonous.

The plants (Brugmansia botanically) are in the Datura family which are extremely poisonous. We usually have two or three kids in town grab the seeds of the Datura and get high on them. It's a deadly deadly game they play. I know one or two are now basically brain dead because of it. Operating well below their age level. It's pretty sad.

Retired brick layers have to use their tools some how!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; July 16th, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's 14+
I have to look up Brugmansia botanically and see what it is..dangerous stuff
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:04 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank's 14+
I have to look up Brugmansia botanically and see what it is..dangerous stuff
Sorry chico. I meant the botanical name is Brugmansia. Sorry for confusion.
Here's a web site on them. It's the seed pod that is the worse. If you can cut of a developing pod and make sure not to touch the liquid then it should be ok.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Arti...l_Trumpet.html

I used to sell Castor Bean plants. The leaves on them are huge - like an elephant's ear. Gorgeous to see the plant which grows very tall. It grows wild in parts of the States. But the bean from the plant is deadly to eat. I never sold one without telling people to cut off the seed pod before it developed.

Old July 16th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

It's ok,I confuse easilythank's for the site,they do say the plant is very toxic and it only opens up at nightwhat good is that
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, I'm not sure why they say the blooms close during the day, as you can see my plant is blooming and fully open in the pic which was taken around 4 pm. The flowers, once open, seem to stay open until they die and fall off.
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow, that's a pretty spectacular plant, DD! Do hummingbirds ever go into shock when they see the size of those blooms? They're huge!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, I don't really seem hummers out here. I don't have any feeders mind you, although I do see some neighbours have them out so the wee things must be around somewhere. I can imagine they'd think this flower was heaven sent!
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Wow, that's a pretty spectacular plant, DD! Do hummingbirds ever go into shock when they see the size of those blooms? They're huge!!!

They are just beautiful, Dog Dancer

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if all dog owners have a special place for the poisonous plants? I don't grow foxgloves anywhere my dogs could get to them and while the Angel's Trumpet is superb, that, Lobelia and Oleander are 3 things I won't grow at all.