Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:45 AM

Crate issues at night, 5 month old French Bulldog

Hey guys,

So I have a male French Bulldog at home. He is going to be 5 months next week. I am having some crating issues with the little guy at night. Basically he is pooping in his crate at 4-5 am. Yes the crate is small and is the proper proportion for the dog. Ive owned another dog before. He is pee pad trained right now and soon to be learning to be outside. He does go for small walks as it is really cold over here in Canada. Im looking for some advice or tips to help stop him from pooping in his crate. During the day when he is crated he does not poop. He used to, but not anymore as I only go out a couple of hours and then let him out for like 3-4 hours. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old February 24th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Try giving him his dinner earlier? And walk him in the evening for even 10 minutes to get his bowels moving....
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Its a great morning in my house today. There was zero poop in the crate. Last night I fed him at 4:30 and also took him out for 3-4 walks. At around 11pm he had a nice walk for about 10 minutes. No poop. Anyways, last night at 5 am i had to get up to let him out to make poop, but at least he didn't do it in his crate right. I guess this is now an improvement? I intend to give him a couple of short walks every day and am now going to start feeding dinner at 4:30 along with a nightly walk before bed.
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like a great plan, Cosmo!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."