Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 29th, 2004, 10:49 PM

Dogs are tortured and killed for virility

Two million South Korean dogs are beaten, electrocuted, skinned alive, strangled, or bludgeoned to death each year. They are killed in the cruelest ways imaginable, because some Koreans believe the adrenaline that rushes through the system will improve virility.

The practice of eating dogs is not widely accepted in Korea. It gained popularity after the Korean War due to widespread starvation. The practice continues to thrive with the aid of greedy restaurateurs, meat dealers, and butchers.

Dogs are well-loved animals in Korea and many people keep dogs as companions. However, we must take action to stop the small number of people who blithely ignore the law and continue to abuse these innocent beings to make money.

It is unacceptable that dogs and cats should be kept in filthy crates, forced to watch one another be bludgeoned to death. It is illegal in Korea and it is the Korean government’s responsibility to ensure that anyone who breaks their laws be strictly punished.

Eyewitnesses have reported dogs being torn apart while still alive, their tormentors saying that the more prolonged the torment of death, the better the taste. This attitude toward any living being is at best deplorable.

Please see the following links to find out what you can do to help.

http://www.koreananimals.org/index.htm

http://www.idausa.org/campaigns/korea/koreando.html

http://www.geocities.com/yoons_choi/boycott.html

Thank you,
Floppysmom
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I may get jumped all over for this and I'm sorry to those that I may offend (please forgive me)

This is horrible, I feel and my heart breaks for these animals.

Unfortunately we have a dire straits problem in North America as well. By supporting over seas we would be neglecting those under our very own noses and feet.

Some may show special interest in helping these groups and that is wonderful. I will however choose to assist and be productive in the ones that are here where I am most useful.

I apologize for offending anyone, I realise these animals need help as well. We cannot however change customs and pass laws in foreign lands.

WE CAN make a difference here though.

If anyone disagrees with me I completely understand as this is a very sensitive topic.

Bless the animals world wide!
Old January 30th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I've read about that too - it's awful.
Old January 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM
banned user

I heard about this too. Unfortunately animals laws in countries like that just don't exist.

What gets me upset way off base here....is the maerican hunters come to Canada..kill the wildlife and leave it there to rot. Like its all for the benefit of the kill is all. GRRRRRRR!
Or the bear hunters and kill just for the liver..GRRRRRRR!
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:51 PM

I agree Luba. I really feel for animals of all countries, but we have to take care of our selves before we can fix problems elsewhere.
Old January 30th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Korea is not the only country where,dogs,cats,monkeys,bear-paws etc...is on restaurant menus,most Asian countries do the same and yes it's horrid and I rather not read about it,because there is not a darn thing I can do about it.
But,there is some sort of justice,because of the unsanitary,cruel conditions these live animals are kept,chickens and a other fowl included,there is now people dying and big money is being lost,Money always speaks so maybe there'll be some changes.
Luba is right,we have enough miserable animals in this country that need taken care of and our own slaughtering practices are not exactly humane,but nothing compares to what goes on in some Asian countries,but they are paying the price.
In China for instance where there is no human rights,how can we expect anyone to care about the pain of some poor unfortunate animal.
Our government and others around the world could demand these practises be stopped or else,but again big business is not going to rock the boat,too much valuable cheap labour.
Old January 30th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Thats horrible. We really need to stop that cruelty.
Old January 30th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Luba,

You may do as you wish, but the time you spent in writing your reply could have been used to help these poor animals. You can write letters to Korean companies that are selling their products in western countries. Such companies include: Daewoo Motors America, Kia, Huyndai Motors, Samsung Electronics and others. We can voice our opinions and ask for their help in this matter. Email addresses are available on the websites which I provided in my original post.

You may disagree with me, but I think many people have been conditioned, sometimes through political correctness, to close their eyes to horrible injustices. I have no problem pointing my finger at those committing atrocities and this includes those within my own country. Speaking of countries, borders are man made and have absolutely no meaning to our beloved animals. I refuse to be limited by borders and extend my time and effort to help all animals that cry out in pain.

This reply is not intended as an insult of any kind. I am simply trying to help these innocent animals in anyway that I can. Please reflect on what I've said and if it makes any sense, then please take action.

Thank you,
Floppysmom
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Of course Floppysmom,you are right,something can be done and people are trying,I personally know one person who travel the world and have dedicated his life to just these kind of horrific happenings.
But like I said,it's not limited to Korea and the Korean government,North or South would not give a hoot what we westerners have to say.
Some people eat dogs and cats and although it's very,very difficult for me to imagine,what troubles me the most is the total disregard for the animals as living,feeling creatures.
Lately the culling of civet-cats,badgers etc.,were done in the most inhumane way,the millions of chickens and ducks in Asia that were killed most by being buried alive and burned makes my stomache turn.
I look at my own cats and am happy for them they were born here and that I found them.
If we were to protest,the best way would be if all Canadians did not by goods made in China,Korea,Vietnam,Taiwan,etc,etc...but it's hard to find goods not made there nowadays.
There also are Canadians who are exporting bear-paws,bear-testicles and other animalparts to Asia,mostly to be used for virility,good fortune and other weird ideas.The oriental man must really have trouble with his sex-life to go to such great lenghts.

It is also known,that in China-town restaurants in very private backrooms,dogs and cats have been prepared for very special customers and I am sure it goes on to this day,even here in Toronto.
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Also Floppysmom,I forgot to mention,Luba,Lucky and many others on this Forum are dedicated to saving animals,dogs and cats and others in our country and probably have seen more abused and un-happy animals than I'll ever want to see,so you are not totally fair.Much of the help is possible just by being in this Forum,where they can get contact with others.
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Floppysmom

I think its really great what you are doing, please don't get me wrong.

However, I've seen enough here to know that there is a LOT that needs to be done here as well.

We can't clean up someone elses backyard while ours is still dirty so to speak. Lead by example, then make a difference once your own laundry is clean.

I don't see how we can try to change things in another country while we have so much work to do here still.

I admire what you are doing, your kindness and your caring compassion. Like I said I am sorry if I offended you in anyway.
I was not trying to steer you differently, it's just that I have decided to make my difference 'here' instead of 'there'.

Chico as usual, you're a sweetie!
Old January 31st, 2004, 12:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh wow,time to go to bed...
Luba,when is Sadie coming home?
Old January 31st, 2004, 01:57 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I HOPE she's coming Saturday

As long as the weather holds she's being relayed by a rescue to Toronto.

We're supposed to pick her up at a drop off location in the city if the weather holds.

The rescue thats helping out is GREAT!

I'll post pictures RIGHT away if she comes I promise

hugs
Old January 31st, 2004, 04:49 AM

It is important for everyone to remember that no one can do it all. Lucky works hard to save the animals here. If she were to spread herself to thin she wouldn't do much good to anyone. But if she focuses her effort on one area then she can make a big difference. Likewise you can make a bigger difference by focusing in on one area. The world is to big to change, instead we have to change small areas at a time.