Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 31st, 2004, 06:03 PM

new puppy questions

hi everyone,
our puppy came home today and he's doing great and being such a good boy. i do have a few questions though. he's eaten a little, had some water and played a lot but he still hasn't pee'd at all, not outside, not on newspaper and not even on our floor. (fyi, he's 11 weeks old). is this odd? second, he's got a clump of dried pooh (lovely, i know) around his bum that we just can't get off. we gave him a little bath and still no luck. we're afraid to cut it out and hurt him but i have a feeling it's bugging him and we find it a little gross. what can we do?
thanks
Old December 31st, 2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Keep an eye on him - he should be peeing. Did he drink a normal amount of water today? Have his stools been odd? A UTI (Urinary tract infection) can make pups not want to pee because it hurts. Do not let it go on too long without getting a vet check.
The stool stuck on his bottom should have come off with the bath, but if it is stuck to hair then it might take a quick snip with the scissors, a slight tug with your fingers, a good brushing or combing through of the hair or a good soaking with a warm, wet cloth and then rubbing it off. Each situtation is dictated by location and type of stool.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Cling-ons! The bane of fluffy dogs! Poodles have the base of their tail trimmed for good reason. When Den-Den gets a cling-on, he comes to me and hangs his head. His whole demeanor is one of shame. In the bathtub, I have a handheld shower that works perfectly. I can spray directly at the cling-on with warm water. And, while it may gross you out , use your fingers to gently break it up so that the warm water can wash it out of his fur. Den-Den always has "a happy" when I've finished.