Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile Chris,thank you for the Monarch

I got soo excited,Chris must have sent me one of her Monarchs,my very first this year
Not very good pics I'm afraid..
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

ooops forgot the pics
Attached Images

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Chris must have sent a few down my way too chico. I noticed them flitting around my butterfly bush too today.
Thanks Chris!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I saw one on my phlox this afternoon, but I wasn't quick enough for pics. I have some insect damage on my milkweed, and I'm hoping it's from a monarch caterpillar!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Googled that because it looks like our Wanderer butterfly, chico2, and it is the same. It's been seen in Australia since 1871 and is the most common butterfly in my garden. To avoid your cold weather they migrate to Mexico but I'm guessing they stay put in Australia. (I'd like to migrate to somewhere warm right now. LOL)
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow...who knew that they were so widely traveled!!! Nice to hear there is a population there that doesn't rely on the same small piece of winter real estate for survival, Goldfields.

You want warm, you've got 10 minutes to get here. Shortly thereafter the line of thunderstorms is coming through and we're gonna cool off some!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
You can call me DOG!

Da heck Chico2!!! Your pictures are beautiful and tell the story well!

I've seen a couple fluttering around my area the past couple weeks too!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Chico, what are those lovely little orange flowers in the upper left corner of that first shot?

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, this is from a site I looked up....

The most famous Lepidopteran migration is that of the Monarch butterfly which migrates from southern Canada to wintering sites in central Mexico. In late winter/early spring, the adult monarchs leave the Transvolcanic mountain range in Mexico for a more northern climate. Mating occurs and the females begin seeking out milkweed to lay their eggs, usually first in northern Mexico and southern Texas. The caterpillars hatch and develop into adults that move north, where more offspring can go as far as Central Canada until next migratory cycle.

Interesting isn't it? Because we don't have snow in so much of Australia maybe they just migrate north to Queensland during the winter, where it's warmer. It's about 9C here and raining lightly at the moment and I haven't managed to get warm since coming in from helping the farrier trim my ponies hooves.
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:05 AM
-

I haven't seen any here this year
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:13 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Chico, what are those lovely little orange flowers in the upper left corner of that first shot?
if i recall chico2's garden they are black eyed susan's hazel.
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

No, those I recognized--look in the upper left quadrant on that first shot, aslan--see the reddish-orange little button-looking flowers? The ones just in front of the bee balm?

The really maddening thing is that I think I asked chico what those were last year, and she told me, but I can't remember Story of hazel's life!

GF, I don't think the Hawaiian population migrates much, either! The ones here all end up in the same small location in Mexico--and if those roosting trees die, get burned out or chopped down, no one knows what it would do to the Monarch populations up here

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Chris must have sent a few down my way too chico. I noticed them flitting around my butterfly bush too today.
Thanks Chris!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I got soo excited,Chris must have sent me one of her Monarchs,my very first this year
Not very good pics I'm afraid..
You are welcome girls, I have so many this year, I like to share

Quote:
They are Maltese Cross Hazel, they are more of a Vermillion in colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I haven't seen any here this year
They don't like Dandelions very much
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris,poor Frenchy always gets picked on
I read in todays Star,that there are not many Monarchs because of all the ugly houses sprouting up everywhere,hence the lack of Milkweed
Got to get me some(I can just hear what you are thinkinig)NO,not that some...!!!
Yes Chris,it's the Maltese Cross..
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Maltese Cross... Very pretty

I haven't seen too many monarchs yet, either, but I suspect it's all the rain we've been having... We're just starting to see a few more butterflies now so I'm hoping the monarchs will recover

Old July 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

GF, I don't think the Hawaiian population migrates much, either! The ones here all end up in the same small location in Mexico--and if those roosting trees die, get burned out or chopped down, no one knows what it would do to the Monarch populations up here
That's a scary thought, Hazel. It seems like forever since it was warm enough here for butterflies, so I enjoy chico2's photo's, but there again, I shouldn't moan about our cold winter when it's nowhere near as cold as yours. This thread inspires me, I must get out in the garden instead of sitting in the warm just ordering more plants for it. LOL.
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Chris,poor Frenchy always gets picked on

She's not supposed to come in the gardening section of the forum
I read in todays Star,that there are not many Monarchs because of all the ugly houses sprouting up everywhere,hence the lack of Milkweed

I will bring you some when I go to 14k's in a few weeks....I saw that article too....no houses around here....not likely in the future either. ... One of the farmers just severed 112 acres to build a house for the son, they would'nt allow another house built on the original farm.

Got to get me some(I can just hear what you are thinkinig)NO,not that some...!!!

Name:  bong smilie.gif
Views: 135
Size:  6.9 KB

Yes Chris,it's the Maltese Cross..
I had some a couple of years back, it wasn't being nice to me so I yanked it out...probably didn't get enough sun