Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old October 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A few fall birds...

...I hope you can download these, Chris!

Some goldfinches hanging out in the sumac on a gloomy autumn day...

Name:  Goldfinch 10-4-09 A.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  Goldfinch 10-4-09 B.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  Goldfinch 10-4-09 C.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  77.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

...and a couple more.

Name:  Goldfinch preening 10-4-09.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  Goldfinch wing pattern 10-4-09.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  78.0 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Finally, one of my little chickadee buddies...
Name:  Chickadee 10-4-09 A.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 10-3-09.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  79.6 KB
...and a yellow-rumped (myrtle) warbler on its way south for the year.

Old October 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Great shots Hazel!!! What cute little birds! Do any of them have a very distinct song? (Aside from the chickadee of course.)

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Goldfinches have a very varied song. Very recognizable, They're very vocal.

The warbler has a song that is best recognized by the way it ends differently each time. So the beginning phrase will be similar, but sometimes the last few notes rise, sometimes they fall. It's not as robust a song as the goldfinch's, but it's very pretty.

Old October 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I just listened to the goldfinch at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk7s2h3FQyU

SOOOO Adorable!!! Beautiful!! (Raisins and Teeka are both now in front of my computer screen after playing that video.)

Do you know what kind of warbler you have?? There seem to be a few different kinds...

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That one is a yellow-rumped warbler (that's the common name -- used to be a myrtle). They nest further north, not around here. They migrate early in spring and late in fall--so they'll probably be the last ones I see this year.

Around here we typically have yellow warblers, ovenbirds, chestnut-sided warblers, black-and-white warblers, blue-winged warblers, redstarts, common yellowthroats, and golden-winged warblers that nest within ear-shot. This year, for a special treat, we had a cerulean, as well

Old October 11th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Birdies!! I love birdies,

we don't get to many kinds around here,
I love looking at them with all the diff colors!! they are so pretty aren't they, a peacfulness about them just make you go *sigh* with a spring in your step..
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm hoping we have a cool spring--if the leaves are a bit behind I'll have a better chance at catching some of the spring migrants on camera. Once the leaves burst out the birds will be safe from prying lenses.

There is nothing more relaxing than watching the migration....'cept possibly a cat purring in your lap. I always come in so relaxed after bird watching.

Old October 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
There is nothing more relaxing than watching the migration....'cept possibly a cat purring in your lap. I always come in so relaxed after bird watching.
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow Hazel, you know a lot about birds! Has this been a hobby of yours for some time? I imagine it would be relaxing, in the spring we're able to watch our sparrows nesting in our birdhouse and it's wonderful! Shame to say I only really know the names of a few obvious types of birds, it seems those are the ones I notice the most, but I think it would be wonderful to learn more about them all. So beautiful!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Shame to say I only really know the names of a few obvious types of birds,
it's more than me

I know a Robins song and a Bluejays song, but that it.
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've been watching birds for about 30 years--got hooked in college and never stopped. When we found this place, it got easier--I can do most of my birding without ever leaving the deck. Lately I've been doing more of it by ear--since we live in the woods, once it leafs out, the birds get a lot harder to see.

Old October 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I've been watching birds for about 30 years--got hooked in college and never stopped. When we found this place, it got easier--I can do most of my birding without ever leaving the deck. Lately I've been doing more of it by ear--since we live in the woods, once it leafs out, the birds get a lot harder to see.
That is so great Hazel!! Very jealous. It would be so nice to go on our deck and not see into the livingroom of our neighbors!! What birds have you seen/heard that are more rare?

Quote:
it's more than me

I know a Robins song and a Bluejays song, but that it.
Breeze, my list consists of: Bluejay, sparrow, Robin, Magpie, Canadian Geese, Seagull, and...Duck. Couldn't tell you what KIND of duck it is though.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I love watching finches flit around. They are so pretty. We still have a few hanging around. Not many though.
hazel is a little Ms. Know it all.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
That is so great Hazel!! Very jealous. It would be so nice to go on our deck and not see into the livingroom of our neighbors!! What birds have you seen/heard that are more rare?

you could always get a poster of birds and tape it your window

Breeze, my list consists of: Bluejay, sparrow, Robin, Magpie, Canadian Geese, Seagull, and...Duck. Couldn't tell you what KIND of duck it is though.
yes I forgot about the seagulls and the canadian geese we also have the regular brown birdies, I think I saw one the has kinda black on his head and whit on his chest,not to many but they are around they are winter birds..

my father in law was a bird watcher..
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
you could always get a poster of birds and tape it your window

Why didn't I think of that??

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aw, c'mon, 14+...you know as well as I do that hazel is a birdbrain!

Bailey, I might have caught a glimpse of a Kirtland's warbler one spring. Didn't get a great look at it but the back was gray with black markings and the song snippet I heard fit the species.

My rarest bird (for WI, anyway) was a scissor-tailed flycatcher. Saw it while I was still in Milwaukee after a hurricane had slammed into TX and made its way inland. The youngster I saw must've been displaced by the weather and flew the wrong way.

But most of the birds I see are strangers even to a lot of Wisconsinites. Most people just see little brown birds...it's a pity cuz those are the most interesting if you look closely.

My favorites are any kind of warbler (but especially Blackburnian and cerulean) and the scarlet tanagers, though.

Old October 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I love how much you know about birds!! I'm intrigued because I find them so beautiful, yet have never really educted myself about the different species. Probably because it seems so overwhelming, there are so many!

I had to google the scissortailed flycatcher, beautiful bird!!!! This is why I think more people should be aware of them, I'm sure I would've missed seeing that guy had I not known what to look for. Really makes me wonder how much I'm missing in my own area.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

When we were in Eau Claire, I used to go birdwatching at a little 200 acre county park a couple miles from home, nestled in the midst of the city. There were at least 65 different species of birds nesting there--and probably more, since I would see other species there consistently, but never managed to catch them displaying nesting behavior (carrying food consistently in the same direction, feeding fledglings, etc).

There was another little city park called Putnam Drive. One year there was a winter wren that nested there--a song to die for!!! Literally stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard it. Recordings just do not do it justice. It was the first confirmed winter wren nesting in Eau Claire County. I'm sure there were others that did, but they're pretty secretive.

So it's amazing what you can find, even in the middle of a city.

Old October 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

That is awesome! What a great pasttime too...outside, fresh air, wonderful!

How did you get into birdwatching in college?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I was a Zoology major--took a class in Ornithology.

If you're ever in Milwaukee in spring, you have to check out Lake Park along Lincoln Memorial Dr by Lake Michigan. It's on a bluff with walking paths and bridges. Puts you at eye level with the canopy and at the perfect height for watching warblers. I was amazed at how many different kinds there were! I was hooked.

Old October 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was a Zoology major--took a class in Ornithology.

If you're ever in Milwaukee in spring, you have to check out Lake Park along Lincoln Memorial Dr by Lake Michigan. It's on a bluff with walking paths and bridges. Puts you at eye level with the canopy and at the perfect height for watching warblers. I was amazed at how many different kinds there were! I was hooked.
You've peaked my interest!!! I wonder if we have any warblers around here in AB, do you know?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Don't know...but let me get my warbler maps and see if anything nests up there...

Old October 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ooooo...I think a fair number nest in Alberta, Bailey--but my dinner buzzer just went off so I'll have to check what's in the Calgary area later. Remind me...hazel's memory is extremely short...

Old October 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

COOL! Will do! Thanks for the info, enjoy your dinner Hazel!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Okay, according to my maps, you should for sure have common yellowthroats and yellow warblers nesting in thickets in or near Calgary. Just north or just west and possibly even in Calgary there are lots of other warblers that nest--most of these will nest in forests: Tennessee warblers, yellow-rumped warblers (both the myrtle and the Audubon variety), blackpolls, redstarts, Magnolia warblers, Cape May warblers, black-throated green warblers, Townsend's warblers, black-and-white warblers, ovenbirds, Wilson's warblers, MacGillivray's warblers, and possibly even northern waterthrushes!

If I ever get a chance to visit Calgary in the spring/summer, we'll go warbler hunting, k?

Old October 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM
-

I don't know how I missed this Hazel, thanks for giving me an elbow in the ribs

I opened the restaurant about mid September and for the first couple of weeks apart from the odd Bluejay and Chippie didn't have many patrons :sad:...now though things seem to be getting back into the swing of things, MY Cardinals and Juncos are around plus of course MY Chickies and MY Goldfinches who have started wearing their winter jackets.

I don't see the fall migration in full swing yet, yet to see Waxwings that love our crabapple tree or the Grackles......Soooooooo I'm hoping that is an omen of lots of HOT weather to come

...........and yes they are all MINE
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

At my parents house, we have a pair of pileated woodpeckers who love my parents feeders. I think they are really interesting to watch and marvel at

My father also loves squirrels so he feeds them all year long. He is the only person I know who really enjoys feeding the squirrels. He grew up during the depression and his brother hunted squirrels and sold them (don't know to who?). He fed the family this way- so when my father sees a squirrel he feels indebted to them. He said that they would not have eaten if it weren't for the squirrels.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM
-

I have only ever seen a Pileated Woodpecker once , so excited but never saw him again...they are big.

Chico she buys peanuts for her squirrels, she has quite a few pics on here of hers. The squirrels here only get to dine on the bird food, but in the winter boy do they dine, sometimes there are 8 or 9 out there munching away.