Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 15th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Laura

You give, as an example of someone being "jumped on" for no reason:

Quote:
here is one... I don't have time to find them all... but I am sure you all remember the "barn-cat lady" as you have refered to her as...
You and I have different definitions of "responsible". In my opinion, someone who brings home an 8 - 10 year old pregnant cat, then leaves her OUTSIDE in the (then) freezing temperatures to have a litter "under a piece of sheet metal" is NOT responsible in any way, shape or form. To make matters worse, she then blames this neglect on the CAT, who refuses to stay inside any building. Really....!

"Rescuekitty" rejected every polite suggestion I initially made to help this cat, always giving more and more excuses why she couldn't do a single thing for her,and expected praise for merely bringing her home and leaving her outside to fend for herself in a strange place with the stress of giving birth.

You obviously didn't read the whole thread, did you?

Any more?
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

This is one area that keeps getting revisited and I have no idea why?

Do people feel so vulnerable and insecure with themselves that they actually feel the need to rehash things over and over again?

For the most part I can speak for myself and a few others, that we provide support and information when appropriate. WE also provide suggestions and try to convince people to take alternative steps / measures.

Do you have any idea the number of people who have come on here frantic originally looking to 'dump' their newly purchased/adopted cat/dog because things aren't working out right!

Have you ever read those posts? Have you ever seen the advise and reassurance we give people, so that they end up KEEPING these pets. Many new pet owners feel overwhelmed, new puppies and shelter dogs/cats that have histories of abuse/neglect. These sweeties need special attention and direction as well as obedience.

Speaking on behalf of many we rescue, advise, suggest, assist, donate, volunteer and console.

There are individuals on here that have soaked up like a sponge all the information and advise that we have to offer.... then spit in our faces with ignorant comments but hey you know what....then they turn around when in crisis again and ask for more support. Do we turn our backs? NO we help we offer advise we give more information and support.

Before you begin to judge us for what you 'believe' we are, judge us for 'what we do'!!

I'm tired of having to coddle peoples feelings darnit, we do a darn good job on here offering hours on end of FREE advise and information. What we do is decent, loving and required. Discussions we've had on here, help I have received myself and given to many.... has lessened a pets pain and helped a owner who is beside themself with worry.
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

well said you guys i totally agree.
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM

A comment was made that people who have been posting here longer are the ones who are treated better. Obviously the people responding have gotten to know the other poster better and have already formed an opinion of that person as a responsible pet owner based on their many posts. There are questions that are already answered. I think in the case of new posters that often there is missing information and the post sounds worse sometimes than it is because the person hasn't explained it the way they meant to.

What I don't get is that people don't get that this is an internet bulletin board that they could also offer their own opinion on if they so choose.

There is a lot of great opinions on here, and yes they can be very strong in some areas, but to me this seems to be in the right areas generally. And sometimes people misunderstand the original post, which is understandable if there is missing information. I think I have put my foot in my mouth once or twice myself because I've missed out on some of the person's earlier posts.

I like posting here because there are interesting different viewpoints. Plus, I think if I talked this much about my pets anywhere else I'd drive people nuts.

If someone feels that they can't assert their own opinion and they don't like the discussion they can choose not to participate at any point.

And sometimes some posts just seem so fake to me it's not even funny! It's like some people are just looking for an argument. There seems to be a couple of extremes in these types of posts, either they spent 4 million dollars on their prizewinning cat's vet bill at the age of 9, or they are barely literate breeders (having internet access of course but the nearest vet is impossible to reach) bragging about their lack of respect for reproducing animals.

My advice is respond and participate where you want to and give your own opinion where you feel is appropriate or if you don't like the discussion don't bother with it. It's really quite simple.
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

i totally agree with you guys. and there is not really a need for shortness or rudeness (im not saying anyone is rude though). why waste the energy getting all upset and insulted, isnt that just giving what they wanted in the first place, a reaction and energy. it is just disheartening to see cranky people here, it is really draining. look we are all happy, loving people and i think it would be just the best if we all focused on that.
also alot of translation is lost through the internet, it is so easy to type a simple thought without detail and have it misinterpreted. we only have what we read. as i have said before when using this form of media one looses the hand gestures, facial expressions, cultural differences in info delivery ect and that affects the delivery of what one has to say and ones interpretation of it. i know when i have tried to be funny in the past it has just come across as rude, totally unintentional, but we just dont always understand each others humor ect andthere are some real cultural differences in our social skills.. i find that i take most of what people say with a grain of salt and add little extra understanding. but if i feel it is intentionally rude ect then it is justified. lets all be hapopy and conserve energy for our babies. and maybe we should just ignore the trouble makers, they will get the drift eventually (one hopes). have a happy healthy day one and all and remember the most important thing in the world is your own happiness and peace.
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:23 PM

Laura,

I can only give you my experience on this board.

I joined in December and have never felt that I was "beat up" on. My first post was in response to a post by Luba that had to do with Demodex, a condition that Oliver had recently been diagnosed with (only localised and cleared up thank God). There was some good discussion back and forth and I never felt like anyone was mean or degrading. I have had active discussion on this board with lively debate, but, I find that if people are willing to properly explain their situation and/or back up their postition with REASONABLE facts, the discussion is lively and productive. When something is my opinion but only that, I will state it. I will also point out that I accept that others may not accept what I have to say.

On the other hand, I WILL NOT accept irresponbility and console those who have made irresponsible and/or cruel choices. Most often I choose not to become involved in those posts, however, sometimes I do feel a need to respond (on one side or the other - for instance, with Rescuekitty, I defended RESPONSIBLE barn cat ownership, but, in the case of Baby, there was nothing there that I could see to defend).

Take my comments for what they are (mine) and remember that it is just my experience on this board. My feelings are that the people on this board have the absolute best intentions in the world and yes, while their responses at times may seem harsh, one has to consider the post that they are responding to. Again, remember, this is just my opinion and I can agree to disagree on this point.

Michelle
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_petlover
A comment was made that people who have been posting here longer are the ones who are treated better. Obviously the people responding have gotten to know the other poster better and have already formed an opinion of that person as a responsible pet owner based on their many posts.

I like posting here because there are interesting different viewpoints. Plus, I think if I talked this much about my pets anywhere else I'd drive people nuts.

If someone feels that they can't assert their own opinion and they don't like the discussion they can choose not to participate at any point.

My advice is respond and participate where you want to and give your own opinion where you feel is appropriate or if you don't like the discussion don't bother with it. It's really quite simple.
Agreed on many points Dee!!! Good job!!! Well said!!!

I was a new poster once, and OMG, so was Luba and LR and Mona and Chico and and and and....shall I continue?? Go figure!! Regardless if this doesn't quit, I'm OUT of here!! We are here to help not cause more stress! Enough bickering and lets get on with the purpose of this damn forum!!! (Now I will step off my soapbox)
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Catt if you leave I will come after you!!
Cyber Stalker Alert

I wanted to make a comment with regards to people who buy from pet stores and BYB's!

You know, the general public isn't ignorant or stupid. The vast majority 'do' know about puppy mills. However, some do not..this is very true.

I find that people tend to support the mills because they feel for the pups there (or kittens from others like byb's). Then there is the bunch that does absolutely no research or prep work for getting a pet. They come to forums like this looking for help. We are all to willing to try and help them fix a problem after it has started....in many cases 'several' problems.

Who said fake posts? I couldn't agree more and 'those' are usually the threads that end up in heated discussions. Why? Because so many of us feel a air of untruth about them! Why spend hours responding to someone who's lying? Why provide productive information to a trouble maker?
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

LMAO Luba!!! OK, Ok, Ok............ I just don't know how much longer I can keep my lips zipped and not get a cyber slap for being rude! I just have very little tolerance for stupid people - in real life AND in cyberland!!!

I do however agree with your sentiments about BYB's...........I wish Alberta had a law against them!

As a new dog owner I too have made some mistakes and have learned from you guys on here and via other links you gave me. We all learn from our mistakes (well, most of us) and we move on. We are not BAD people because of them, they are a part of life. My God if everyone were perfect what a great world this would be. No dogs or cats living on the street unloved, no wars, racism, gossip, etc.

Anyways, I am going to take Dee's advice and opt out of responding to posts that get out of control...its not worth it. I come online as a stress release, NOT to increase it!!! In this world, its everywhere, I don't need it on a PET FORUM!! If I want to listen to bickering and name calling and such, I will turn on the political debates! Enough said for now!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Who's Laura
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh,I know now,noticed Laura in the sad news about Tracker post..
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

i agree with luba (of course), catt if you go anywhere, we will hunt you down and drag you back here kicking and screaming, i promise, dont make us lonely . as michelle said, she has learned so much here and so have i. i have become the right little fount of information since i met you guys, it is great and i feel like i have a good collection of information for my doggy battles. it is a great place, and i must say i do really enjoy the more educated lively debates here, it gets one thinking.
remember
Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events and great minds discuss ideas.

(i think i am small, average, great minded of course )
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

oh i forgot to mention one of the most amazing things that has happened here, i have had a conversation with a person from canada and america.(please dont think i am a hick, but lets say you dont meet many of these nationalities in the bush or rural towns) i have never met or had a chat to anyone from either of these countries. i met a canadian man once but didnt really talk to him, so you are the first people i have ever really chatted to from those countries, so yay, you are expanding my mind and making me a international girl
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Mel ur terrif!!