Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Ask the Members

Old January 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

How many cats and dogs in Canada

Dear members,

I've tried to get accurate or even approximate stats on how many cats there are in Canada. I've also tried to get stats on dogs in Canada.
Do people also know what % of these households have more than one cat or dog or both.

Does anyone know the answers to these questions?

Thanks so much!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM

I don't know about cats, but for dogs, the tally a couple years ago in Canada was 4 million dogs in 3 million homes.

Cats aren't licensed or anything, so it would be really hard to know. I would imagine it would be somewhere like 3 times dogs...
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Live well, laugh often

Hi Marko, This is from a govt website re: commercial opportunities in Cda

The pet industry is booming in Canada, with total sales estimated at US$1.2 billion,which includes food, accessories and veterinary costs.
Canadians currently own a total of eight million dogs and cats. According toStatistics Canada, there are approximately 3.5 million dogs and 4.5 million cats inthe country.About half of all households have at least one pet, and pet owners are spending an average of US$296 per year on their pets.
Imports of pet food totaled US$290 million during 2004, with US$285 million coming from the United States.
The new generation of pet owners is both willing and able to pay top dollar for premium products and services. This is evident with the growing number of doggie day cares and dog walking services being offered throughout the country.
In comparison, surveys suggest that 36 million U.S. homes have at least one dog and another 31 million have at least one cat.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulates the movement of inedible meat products and administers legislation requiring the certification of certain imported pet foods containing animal products. Health Canada administers legislation prohibiting unsubstantiated health claims in the advertising and labeling of pet food
The Competition Bureau of Industry Canada administers legislation requiring that prepackaged pet food destined for retail consumption be labeled with a bilingual common name, metric net quantity declarations and dealer name and address. The Consumer Packaging and Labeling Act and Competition Act with regards to pet food labeling and advertising can be found on www.strategis.ic.gc.ca
��
January 22, 2004, the Canadian government introduced new measures to formalize and somewhat narrow the scope of the import restrictions placed by the CFIA following the identification of a BSE-infected animal in Washington State. The updated list of accepted items included “Commercially prepared pet food not containing bovine meat or bovine derived ingredients Milk and milk products are acceptable”
Between 85-90% of the pet food sold in Canada is manufactured by large U.S. owned multinationals.
Canada has approximately 20 pet food manufacturers. Pet food production capacity is concentrated in Ontario, however there are a number of small to medium sized firms spread across the country.
REGULATIONS
MARKET OPPORTUNITIES ��
The new generation of pet owners is both willing and able to pay top dollar for premium products. They are concerned about their pets’ health and welfare.
Recent and emerging trends in the market include: a focus on nutrition, an interest in low calorie or light products; increased availability of nutraceutical products with supported health claims; and, gourmet and specialty pet foods and snacks.
THINK CANADA FIRST!
We hope that you find this information useful. If you would like further information, please contact Crystal.Roberts@maill.doc.gov . Visit our website www.BuyUSA.gov/Canada to discover other commercial opportunities in Canada.
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Cool! Great info, TeriM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Hello,

TeriM: I was just wondering how you found that information on Stats Canada - I have been trying for hours and can not find it.
I would appreciate some help!
Thanks
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:31 AM

I would add at least a few thousand more cats. The statistics on Stats Canada are the pets people license and admit to having. I know for sure that people have over and above our city limits on cats, or don't bother registering any of their indoor animals.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM

In Medicine Hat, Alberta, cats must be licenced, as well as dogs.

binky
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM

Hi TeriM,

I am doing a project that requires a lot of info and stats of household pets (mainly dog and cat) in Canada, I came across your post while doing some research and your info is awesome. However, when i search through StatCanada I wasn't able to find anything similar to what you posted, can you by any chance post some link of references? Really appreciate your help!

Thank you very much to everyone who contributed to this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Hi Marko, This is from a govt website re: commercial opportunities in Cda

The pet industry is booming in Canada, with total sales estimated at US$1.2 billion,which includes food, accessories and veterinary costs.
Canadians currently own a total of eight million dogs and cats. According toStatistics Canada, there are approximately 3.5 million dogs and 4.5 million cats inthe country.About half of all households have at least one pet, and pet owners are spending an average of US$296 per year on their pets.
Imports of pet food totaled US$290 million during 2004, with US$285 million coming from the United States.
The new generation of pet owners is both willing and able to pay top dollar for premium products and services. This is evident with the growing number of doggie day cares and dog walking services being offered throughout the country.
In comparison, surveys suggest that 36 million U.S. homes have at least one dog and another 31 million have at least one cat.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulates the movement of inedible meat products and administers legislation requiring the certification of certain imported pet foods containing animal products. Health Canada administers legislation prohibiting unsubstantiated health claims in the advertising and labeling of pet food
The Competition Bureau of Industry Canada administers legislation requiring that prepackaged pet food destined for retail consumption be labeled with a bilingual common name, metric net quantity declarations and dealer name and address. The Consumer Packaging and Labeling Act and Competition Act with regards to pet food labeling and advertising can be found on www.strategis.ic.gc.ca
��
January 22, 2004, the Canadian government introduced new measures to formalize and somewhat narrow the scope of the import restrictions placed by the CFIA following the identification of a BSE-infected animal in Washington State. The updated list of accepted items included “Commercially prepared pet food not containing bovine meat or bovine derived ingredients Milk and milk products are acceptable”
Between 85-90% of the pet food sold in Canada is manufactured by large U.S. owned multinationals.
Canada has approximately 20 pet food manufacturers. Pet food production capacity is concentrated in Ontario, however there are a number of small to medium sized firms spread across the country.
REGULATIONS
MARKET OPPORTUNITIES ��
The new generation of pet owners is both willing and able to pay top dollar for premium products. They are concerned about their pets’ health and welfare.
Recent and emerging trends in the market include: a focus on nutrition, an interest in low calorie or light products; increased availability of nutraceutical products with supported health claims; and, gourmet and specialty pet foods and snacks.
THINK CANADA FIRST!
We hope that you find this information useful. If you would like further information, please contact Crystal.Roberts@maill.doc.gov . Visit our website www.BuyUSA.gov/Canada to discover other commercial opportunities in Canada.
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:27 PM

Hi Miki,

I am also looking for some more recent data. Did you ever find anything? The only info I have been able to find is this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti.../t1-cvj-01-48/ but it's from the 2006 census, soooo a little useless.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki427 View Post
Hi TeriM,

I am doing a project that requires a lot of info and stats of household pets (mainly dog and cat) in Canada, I came across your post while doing some research and your info is awesome. However, when i search through StatCanada I wasn't able to find anything similar to what you posted, can you by any chance post some link of references? Really appreciate your help!

Thank you very much to everyone who contributed to this thread