Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old October 7th, 2004, 09:17 PM

rescued cat help

I had rescued a 6-month-old kitten who had gotten her head flattened (I don't know how). I found her out in the garage just hollaring and it was my son's favorite little kitten so I had to go and at least be with her while she died. Well, she didn't die. So, blood just everywhere, I checked her over and didn't find anything broken except blood coming profusely from her nose and mouth. I cleaned her up and wrapped her in the towel and put her in a box in the laundry room. She was purring so I knew she wasn't suffering. I was just going to make her comfortable. Well, she ended up living. That was last week and this week she is walking around, although with a crooked neck like she really stretched her neck muscles or something. She is eating fine and drinking fine and going to the bathroom fine! Yay! But, she has come down with a cold, discharge in eyes, sneezing. We really cannot afford to go to the vet as my husband is going to college and we have two little ones to take care of. Is there any advice on a cold. I've kept her in our laundry room with a blanket so that she is comfortable and make sure everything is clean for her. Also, I have an albino siberian husky and was wondering if she could catch this cold from the kitten? Thanks for any advice on this matter!
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Very nice of you to save this kitty but I am very concerned for its health .......you say the kittys head was flattened and bleeding from its nose I am not a vet but Im guessing this cat was severly injured and may still be!! there could be injuries that are not obvious.....dont let the purring fool you a cat can be in alot of pain and purr for the simple fact that you are there with it.....whatever happened must have been tramatic and you saved it and brought it to a safe place.

Is there anyway possible way you can call the local vet or even better take the cat in to show them and explain your situation ask advice on what they would do, maybe pay a little each month.....credit card maybe?
Do you plan to keep the kitten?
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Either that call your nearest animal rescue and give them the kitten, they will know what to do. If you cannot afford a vet, you cannot afford to keep it, that is the plain truth.
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Let us know if you plan to keep the kitten........but like Badger said money is an issue right now with you not only for the present vet bill but also for the upcomming vet bill when you need to get it , it's shots and fixed ( you don't need a pregnant cat either $$$) that alone will be close to 200 dollars....so I think Badger may be right, call the rescue, and when you find a place that will take the kitten let the kids know that they did the best thing for the kitten and they should be proud
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:30 PM
banned user

How can a kitten have it's head flattened and be ok?????? I don't get it.
You should look at it this way... if the same thing happened to your son, wouldn't you take him to the doctor?
Even money being the main issue, you don't worry about that, you worry about it later.
You definitely need to get it to the vet and if you can't/won't, let someone have it that will. That's just not fair.
If her head was flattened... is it not anymore? Please clarify that.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Senior Contributor

PLEASE, if you would go to a doctor if your head, or your son's head, was crushed and you were bleeding profusely, WHY won't you take your cat??

Purring is NOT always a sign of happiness or health. In fact many cats purr when they are dying or in shock. Cats are very stoic and hide pain very well, but that doesn't mean they have none.

If you can't afford a vet, please surrender this poor cat to a rescue so she can get the care she deserves.

This cat does not have a cold, she has an upper respiratory infection from this incredible stress, shock and pain and needs antibiotics at the very least.

You are denying a sick injured animal medical care and that is against the law and you can be charged with cruelty, which this is.
Closed Thread