Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Unhappy Hyperthyroid Cat - What foods other than y/d?

Hi everyone!

Looks like my once big guy Jake has been diagnosed with HT. He went from a decent 12lbs to 6.2

I am pregnant and due soon to deliver soon, so my vet suggested that we not go the medication route until I finish breastfeeding, which would probably be in 2+ years, as the meds are hormonal and so I shouldn't be touching them (and to trust my DH to give them each day .. )

So of course they want me to give y/d . I HATE Hills, so what foods would be a better solution? Would Wellness work? Jake is great on canned food, so I am open to whatever is better for him.

Thanks for your help!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi phoozles! Congrats on the upcoming baby!

As for food, there really isn't anything else as low in iodine as the Y/D, but I wouldn't recommend going that route anyway. Here are a couple great articles by a veterinary endocrinologist on the whole Y/D propaganda machine:
http://endocrinevet.blogspot.ca/2011...-diet-for.html
http://www.animalendocrine.com/yd/

What about if you were to handle the meds with gloves? You could also avoid touching them altogether by placing (with tweezers, or carefully tipping the bottle) each dose into a mortar and pestle and pulverizing it, then mixing the powder into some baby food as a "treat" for Jake.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I also think maybe your vet is being overly paranoid about handling methimazole while breast-feeding: http://www.drugs.com/breastfeeding/methimazole.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:01 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hey sugarcatmom! I'm glad you're still around

Yeah, it seemed really strange that she didn't want me to touch them.. Maybe I'll call motherrisk and see what they say about me handling the pills. The food is so crappy, and I'm worried about Alley having to eat it as well (they like to switch bowls in between meals).

That link you provided involves someone actually taking it while breastfeeding, so just touching it shouldn't be an issue, I would think.

I'm thinking the meds would end up being around the same price as that crappy food.. ?

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Just an update..

I have decided to go with the radio-iodine therapy. More research showed that it really wouldn't be a good idea for me to touch the meds while I am pregnant/nursing, plus the cost of his testing and all the pills for the rest of his life would exceed the cost of the procedure in just over a year, I'd imagine.

Plus I can get him off of the y/d

Because they didn't get a concrete T4 reading, I need to bring him back to get a new blood test, along with a urinanalysis to make sure his T4 levels aren't masking any renal failure. If everything is a go, he goes in on Feb 23rd! It's a two hour drive, but worth it.

all is well for my little guy!

Funny though, my vet said that it would be best if he was on a low protein diet in case he does have some renal failure, so wants me to feed him k/d now.. After I just bought several cans of Wellness. I'm not going to give him that junk!

Growler, if there is any chance you are reading this, or anyone else who dealt with renal issues, isn't high protein better for them? Or should I really be avoiding it?

Old February 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
I have decided to go with the radio-iodine therapy.
Good decision! This will actually cure the hyperT, whereas the meds only control symptoms and don't prevent the tumor from growing further. There are situations where it's better to go with the meds (for instance, a geriatric or extremely fearful cat that wouldn't do well away from home during the I-131 treatment), but I'm sure Jake will do great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Funny though, my vet said that it would be best if he was on a low protein diet in case he does have some renal failure, so wants me to feed him k/d now..

Definitely do not feed K/D!!! Absolutely horrific food and completely the wrong way to deal with feline renal issues. A cat with CKD needs what all cats should be eating: quality MEAT-based protein with sufficient moisture. In cases of advanced kidney disease, phosphorus levels may need to be kept on the lower side but that doesn't necessarily mean also lowering protein. My almost 20 yr old guy has had stage III CKD for the past 3 years and he eats predominantly a raw diet, along with canned Wellness, Nature's Variety, Weruva, Precise, etc, for snacking on between meals. He's doing fantastic (no weight loss, good appetite, no vomiting), far surpassing the average lifespan of cats eating K/D in various "studies". Here is a good discussion of protein requirements for older cats and dogs:
The Nutrient Your Pet Needs More of As They Age: Protein

Tags
canned food, cat, hyperthyroidism