Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM
cat slave

anyone else's cat do this....??

Not sure how to explain this........my kitty sometimes when she eats something she finds, her mouth gets full of saliva...i THINK it's saliva...it's this liquid that looks like saliva and barf. And i know saliva is necessary for eating but if she's eating something foreign, like a leaf she found(there's no poisonous plants on my balcony) or if she finds a dustbunny(yes she likes to eat those) her mouth gets full of this thick saliva and it drips on her chin and I think she swallows it because when I rush to whipe it off to investigate she shakes and runs off and then there's no more saliva.

anyone else's cat do this? Or do you know what it is?

I think she may oversalivate since you can't chew on a dustbunny and her body oversalivates to help out with chewing..........?? I don't know.....

Last edited by jiorji; August 13th, 2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Furball Farmer

Hmmm....spitty kitty?? Lol I don't know why she would do that. I know when my cats are cleaning themselves they make weird noises and kinda like spit on their fur and work it in to get out the knots or whatever. Its a noisy process and leaves a nice big wet mark on them.
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Queen

Strange, i don't think i've seen that before?? My last furbaby was a big time drooler but only while cuddling. He would kneed me like dough and soak me :P
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:41 AM
cat slave

no it's not like when they groom themselves. It's really difficult to even mention it to my vet as i don't know what to describe lol
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

my calico had the same drool problem . she even gets oversalivated when she eats her food. then she shakes her head and its spit city. sometimes it happens when she is just sitting there...........she starts licking and pawing at her mouth and then once again spit city. when i took her to the vet the first time i noticed it.........she was 1 yr and i just had adopted her he put her on an antibotic saying that it could be a sinus infection..........she wasnt sick and she still drools and she is nine now. my vet checked her teeth and the whole works and nothing wrong.........she is just a little drool baby.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, that is a new one for me too! I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but it does make quite a humorous mental picture! The only thing I've been told by my vet is that a lot of saliva or drooling can be a sign of nausea. But it sounds like if your kitty does it all the time and doesn't seem bothered by it and is eating regularly, it must be normal for her!
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
cat slave

hmm...intersting. At least now I have something to go by. "My cat is a drooler"
I hope none of that stuff happens at night when she sleeps on my pillow