Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 14th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Poor Wolf, Possible epilepsy.

Poor Wolf spent the night in the emergency vet hospital. He had a seizure at home for the first time since he was a month old, and first time ever while living with us. We didn't know it was a siezure though, because it wasn't the grand type with the shaking. Scary none the less when he couldn't sit, or walk and his head was shaking back and forth.

They are thinking possibly epilepsy because the blood test results showed everything was working fine. Its a waiting game now, to see if he has anymore and decide on medication if he does.

I know a couple people on here have dogs that have seizures, so any info you could share would be great. Right now all of the test results have been faxed to our regular vet and they are reviewing everything, then will check in with us for a plan. If it is epilepsy, and he does have more seizures, what should I expect test wise and medication wise?

THanks
Sarah
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Hi sarah,

to hear that Wolf is having seizures.

I've been dealing with Canine epilepsy for more than 2 years now. My boy Nitro still has seizures every 2-3 weeks, so I've dealt with my fair share of meds and testing.

usually the rule of thumb is that anti-convulsive therapy is only started if seizures are more frequent than every couple of months or if clusters are involved.

There is some really great info here http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Resources.html

Feel free to pm me if you like.

Tammy
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Thanks Tammy,

The site looks great! Im hoping to read it all this afternoon but so far its very informative! I will definatly pm you if I have any problems,
Thanks so much
Sarah