Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet encyclopedia - Dog - cat - pet encyclopedia

Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:54 PM

Looking for advice, getting a 2nd dog

As I mentioned in my intro thread I currently have my first puppy (I've had older rescues but never adopted a younger dog before) and two cats. The cats keep themselves pretty separate from the puppy, he's a little over-excited and they prefer to stay in their safe zones until he's sleeping or outside.

I think he's pretty standard for a 10 month old dog, he runs and goes like the energizer bunny until he's worn out and then he crashes hard. We take him for walks, hiking, puppy play dates and are teaching him to get comfy in the pool right now so we keep him very active but I do find him very demanding at home, he's very much like a toddler in the sense that he wants my attention and playtime all the time.

My question is simply this...have you gone from having 1 young dog to having 2? If so, did you find it was better for the dogs because they have each other to play with or does it often end up being twice the work?

My puppy is a Beagle/Pug mixed male, 10 months old. There is currently a family offering an 11 month old Beagle/Pug mixed female, 11 months old - they can't keep her and live very close to me. Part of me feels like this is destiny and the other part thinks I may be biting off more than I can chew and I don't want to take this step unless I'm 100% sure.

Any experience, BTDT, stories or warnings would be much appreciated, I'm still pretty new to all of this!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We went from one 9-month-old to a 9-month-old and an 8-wk-old...then shortly thereafter added a 16-week old. A few years later we went from 3 to 6 between the ages of 18 months and 3 years. A few years after that we went from 6 to 8 by adding two dogs a few years younger. There were a few brief rough spots going from 3 to 6 members, but all-in-all the Pack adjusted quite quickly to each change.

As long as the dogs get along, they'll likely enjoy each other's companionship. Is there a way to have them meet in a neutral place first and then see how they interact with each other at your home on a play-date before you commit to taking the newbie?

Now, what would you be in for? Lots and lots of rough-and-tumble play, probably. At 10 and 11 months, our two pups were definitely a handful. We were fortunate to have a small but fully fenced and puppy-proofed backyard. Even so, when we moved, we needed to totally re-landscape the back because the grass, garden and small trees and bushes had all fallen prey to puppy shenanigans and horseplay. Granted our dogs are a fairly high-energy (at that age, anyway) breed and larger than yours, but I would not want to take on two young dogs of that age without a safe fenced area to allow them to play in.

You'll also need to work out a schedule that allows for training them separately as well as training them together. They'll bond to each other pretty strongly at that age and one-on-one training will strengthen your bond with them so they look to you, not always to each other.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
You'll also need to work out a schedule that allows for training them separately as well as training them together. They'll bond to each other pretty strongly at that age and one-on-one training will strengthen your bond with them so they look to you, not always to each other.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, as soon as I read this paragraph I knew the answer in my heart and the answer is that I don't have the proper time to give to another puppy right now, I already struggle to find 1-1 time to cuddle with the cats because the puppy is taking up so much of my attention.

I think I'd better continue working with him and when we are better established I will consider adding another one to the mix, my heart is saying YES but my brain is telling me I'm insane for considering it right now.
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like a good plan!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."