Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 5th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Arrow Need Your Advise

Hi Everyone, I am new to your website and am new to my area. Wondering if anyone has had this experience and could possibly have some advise. I have 6 dogs. I have just moved to Surrey, BC. The problem is My dogs have always been groomed by a friend of the family who was a professional groomer, now I must find a new groomer. I have heard horror stories of groomers hitting your pet if they don't stand still enough or for other minor things. How do I go about making sure I am getting someone who is kind to the animal they are grooming. My animals are used to being groomed and are well behaved but as I say they are used to being groomed by someone they know well and may be nervous going to someone strange.4 are short haired so aren't to much of a problem the other 2 are Samyods which take a lot of combing. Does anyone have any advise as to what to look for in a new groomer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 5th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Buddy

Welcome to the site, six dogs must keep you busy, and we like to see pictures as well. Oh yeah, new members have to buy the donuts! I like boston creme!

Old March 5th, 2005, 02:00 PM
<--- that's my sweetie!

I don't have advice on finding a groomer,
but I would suggest that you are onsite for their first visit to judge the temperament of the groomer and how your treasures react to the new human.

Oprah says ... when people show you who they are the first time you meet them, believe them.

WELCOME!
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeZee
I don't have advice on finding a groomer,
but I would suggest that you are onsite for their first visit to judge the temperament of the groomer and how your treasures react to the new human.

Oprah says ... when people show you who they are the first time you meet them, believe them.

WELCOME!
Ditto that! You have the right to stay with your pet's as they are being groomed and I advise you do if you question their treatment.
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

perhaps...

have noticed a recent trend in travelling groomers. Perhaps there is one in your area? It's a great new idea and reduces stress on both the pet and the owner as the groomings are done in your home or a mobile truck that is right in your driveway. Just a suggestion.

I do agree with others that you should be allowed to observe your pet being groomed. If they don't want you watching then it would be a red flag to me.
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Ask the vet for a recommendation, or another dog owner. Also, perhaps a grooming salon that is visible to passersby. Petsmart and other such places have full glass window onto their grooming areas. If the grooming area is exposed to view,then the groomers would have to be more careful in their treatment of the animals.

Absolutely stay for the first session. Maybe take you dogs for a "meet and greet" to see how these people interact with your animals, before booking a grooming session. Maybe book a nail trimming, or other "small" service first. You would be there for that and could observe how they interact with your dogs and how they take to the groomers. The travelling vet is also a good idea, as you would be right there. I prefer leaving my guys at the groomers for the day. Normally they are home all day while I am at work, so a day at the "spa" gives them attention and human company for a day.

By the way, welcome!! Cream filled Krispy Kreme donut for me
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Buddy

I just take Buddy to Magicuts and tell them he's my really hairy son!

Old March 5th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Smile Thanks Everyone

Hi and Thanks for the great advise. I liked the sound of the mobile groomers and was lucky enough to find one in my area. The lady stopped on her way to another appointment to meet the dogs and give me a price. She was very reasonable and best of all they all just loved her. Even the older one who can be quite reserved with some strangers took to her like a duck to water. We have made the appointment and I feel confident everything will go just fine. I found them advertised on the Internet and like the idea that they will be right in the drive and I don't have to leave the dogs with a stranger. Although the way they took to her I don't think I have anything to worry about Taz even presented her with his Teddy. I'd like to post their pictures but the only way to get that bunch in one place at the same time is to bring out the Cookies or Chew Chews. I though about Magic Cuts but these type of dogs only need a wash, comb and blow dry no cuts.
Old March 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM

What I would do, even if it's a lot of work, I'd learn how to do it myself--- it's the only way to know if they are being beaten or not and you might save a lot of money... How much does it cost you for the 6? Or do not all of them need grooming?
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:30 AM

Smile Re Need Advise

Hi Prin Just wanted to let you know with 6 it could be expensive. I did take a course and do a lot of the grooming myself. Before I had a friend who was a professional groomer help out when they were really bad in the spring. Lived in a colder climate and they had real thick hair. I find as much as I hate to admit it I'm not as young as I used to be and my arm gets tired and sore with so much combing. This mobile groomer will bath and comb them and any tidy up with the clippers I'll do. 4 of them aren't to bad so I'll do them the rest of the year myself but will probably get the groomer back for the Marshmallows (Samoyed's) they have so much hair its unbelievable. This groomer was really reasonable that is why I'm having them all done. Only 45.00 each for the 2 Marshmallows and 35.00 each for the other 4. When I think of all the time it takes to comb them that is very reasonable.
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:37 PM

That's a pretty good price. Our cheapest dog groomer around here is $45... I don't think I would be patient enough to groom 2 samoyeds... I have a newf mix who has relatively short hair but sheds like mad and I'd sooner bathe him then brush him forever...
What kind of dogs are the other 4?
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:23 AM

Re Need Advise

Hi

The other 4 are all related they are Heinz 57 the mother/grandmother was 3/4 rotty &1/4 Shepherd. We arranged to breed her with a pure bred rotty the idea was to breed the shepherd out of the pups. Well I didn't succeed and now I am glad. I also had a young male 1/2 Samoyed and 1/2 Malamute well would you believe he tore the pen down we had her in and every pup was definitely his. The pups were colored like the mother (rotty) but had the Malamute head. When the pups were sold it was with the written agreement that if for any reason they couldn't keep them they were to come back to me. Didn't want to take a chance they would go to a not so good home. Well one fellow lived in the country and bought the last male & female from the 2nd litter. When they were about 7 months old I took them back as he got a different job and had to travel a lot and couldn't be home to care for them. We had the male neutered but the female stepped in a gopher hole and broke her leg, we had a pin put it in and she was in a cast, not even the vet knew but she presented us with 3 incest puppies. Someone who had bought from the first litter bought one and we kept the other 2. We moved from Alberta to BC and one of the pups that someone here had bought wound up back with us when they divorced. So I have Taz from our first litter, Bruno from our second litter, and Jaws & Cujo are his pups. The mother of Jaws and Cujo (Squirt)got Diabetes and went blind along with other problems and we finally had to put her down. Both Squirt and Bruno were short haired but Jaws Paws and Cujo are both long haired like the Malamute. I'm not sure what Jaws Paws looks like all I can say is he's the largest of all of them and Thank God he finally grew into his feet. The 2 Marshmallows were a rescue mission. Can you believe some idiot had 4 purebred Samoyed puppies and his landlord said he had to many dogs and had to get rid of them and he was threatening to shoot them. I already had 6 dogs and really didn't need anymore but I couldn't let anything happen to those pups so I took 2 and found good homes for the other 2. Some people I will just never understand.

Sorry this is so long but when I start talking about this crew I just don't know when to quit.