Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thumbs up hazel's gardens so far...not dead yet!

Here are some of the flowers I've had this year. I'm verrrry happy...not too much carnage out there this year!

Just outside the back door, growing out of some rocks, is a wild geranium, one of my favorite wildflowers:

Name:  Garden - wild geranium 6-13-08.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  20.2 KB

The peonies seemed to really like our rainy spring...and even the dog raids didn't decimate them too badly (you might be able to see all the tomato cages I strategically locate in the garden...they keep the dog damage to a minimum! )

Name:  Peonies 6-18-08.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  Garden - Peonies at their peak 6-18-08.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  41.5 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The black-eyed susans are loverly in the well garden:

Name:  Well garden - Black-eyed susans 7-9-08.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  16.8 KB

Back in the main garden, I had a surprise Sweet William come up (didn't notice that one even bloomed last year )

Name:  Garden - Sweet William 6-29-08.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  17.4 KB

And the lupines bloomed for the very first time in 3 years!

Name:  Garden - Lupines in full bloom 6-20-08.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  29.5 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The Spiderwort thrived (throve? ) in the spring rains. The plants are more than a meter in height and they're still blooming profusely:

Name:  Garden - spiderwort 6-9-08.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  18.9 KB

The Stella d'Oro lily is doing well, too!

Name:  Garden - Stella d'Oro lily 7-9-08.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  68.2 KB

And the Daylilies coming up through the Spiderwort are absolutely breathtaking this year!

Name:  Garden - Day Lily in the Spiderwort 7-11-08.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  27.6 KB

Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Finally, a shot of strawberries and Salvia firecrackers in the Hummingbird Garden...

Name:  Hummingbird garden - Strawberries and firecrackers 6-5-08.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  28.1 KB

...a shot of the new birdbath and the hanging impatiens before the phlox and the lilies grew up this spring...

Name:  Hummingbird Garden--New accommodations 5-9-08.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  37.1 KB

...and a shot of the entire Hummingbird Garden including the feeder stations for anyone interested in where hazel's hummmer friends hang out.

Name:  Hummingbird Garden - Feeder stations 7-13-08.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  51.4 KB

The lilies on the right are still in bloom. The phlox on the left will bloom just about as the lilies are spent. The red flowers behind the firecrackers (in front where there is marginally more sun) are impatiens and will fill in even more by August. There is also a coral bells and pulmonaria hidden in back next to a columbine, a purple petunia that I have no idea how it got there, some purple violas and a volunteer common milkweed plant that is gloriously green but probably doesn't get enough sun to ever bloom. You can see hazel's brave milkweed halfway between the bird bath and the left edge of the picture.

And that's the end.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Ooooooo, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, BEEEEEEAUTIIIIIIIIIFUL

I'm very jealous though.... other than Sweet William and Jacobs ladder my garden is nothing but GREEN.... the most lush green ya ever saw but not a flower in sight. A couple of warm and sunny days and things might be just beautiful but, no such thing anytime in our future (can we borrow the crystal ball Madame Hazel??) Not even the "wildflower" patch is showing a flower (but there are buds)

Heee, heee all the fencing etc. makes me smile... I have similar but to keep chickens out

You must have the happiest hummers around
I love the bird bath!
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)

Last edited by otter; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I didn't think our flowers were ever going to bloom, either, but it finally warmed up enough to get 'em revved up.

The birdbath was supposed to have a bird on it, but when we unpacked it, it had a dragonfly. Luckily, hazel really likes dragonflies, too.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Mmmmmm, don't see any moldy fingers at work here. Gardens are looking very good!!! I like the hummer garden too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:40 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Mmmmmm, don't see any moldy fingers at work here.
I agree......that darned Hazel has been trying to fool us all along.

She is actually a pro at gardening and she even has everything catagorized on her computer. Which I really hope you didn't lose, Hazel.

Beautiful gardens.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:14 AM

The spiderwort is very , I've never seen that one before

Great hummers garden

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What a great idea, a hummingbird garden, I love it!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Beautiful Hazel. Love the birdbath too.

Cindy
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Mmmmmm, don't see any moldy fingers at work here. Gardens are looking very good!!! I like the hummer garden too.
I'd like to see a pic of that moldy thumb that Hazel is always bragging about, me thinks it is not so moldy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I agree......that darned Hazel has been trying to fool us all along.

You are right on there Rainbow.

She is actually a pro at gardening and she even has everything catagorized on her computer. Which I really hope you didn't lose, Hazel.

Can you imagine being that organized

Beautiful gardens.

I Agree.
I like the Spiderwort but it closes in the afternoon and I found my one plant got real straggly, does yours Hazel?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Nope...the thumbnails were corrupted and I had to delete the affected files and reedit the scans, but I got them all back. whew! Now I just hope they stay put!

Thanks for the compliments, ladies, but you'll notice these are mostly single shots...if you back up, the garden is not that impressive Amazing what a little editing can do...

For instance, here's the west end of the garden from a tricky angle:

Name:  Garden - The west end of the kennel garden 7-9-08.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  41.2 KB

Garden looks lovely and full, eh? pftuiiiiiii Backup another few feet and all the gaps show :

Name:  Garden - 7-9-08.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  45.6 KB

It's not particularly well-laid out, either. Some of it is that the shorter plants seem to be getting shaded out by the taller ones. hazel didn't make very good use of the sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
The spiderwort is very , I've never seen that one before
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I like the Spiderwort but it closes in the afternoon and I found my one plant got real straggly, does yours Hazel?
They and the coneflowers are natives that I got through a local nursery dealing in native prairie plants, growler. Spiderwort grows in a lot of fields and parks around here...with plenty of water and some compost, it tends to bush out more in the garden than in the wild.

You're right, Chris--it closes in the afternoons...but the next morning, it looks bee-yooo-tiful again:

Name:  Garden -- Spiderwort patch 7-8-08.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  42.8 KB

Spiderwort is a naturally 'scraggly' plant, though, so I don't know if mine are or not. I like that look...matches my hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
What a great idea, a hummingbird garden, I love it!
The garden was there and not doing well when we moved in. The pine was growing up and the plants were getting too much shade. They still are (lilies and phlox are both sun loving) but after we put up the fence to keep the dogs out, they seemed much happier.

The hummingbirds love the location and with the addition of impatiens and the salvia, they have both nectar feeders and flowers to train their babies on. Once the phlox blooms, they'll spend a lot of time at that, too.

The hummingbird garden is the only one that looks pretty nice as a whole. The well garden is so full of grass it's laughable...gotta try to do something with it next spring. Problem is, every time I've ever tried to get rid of grass in a garden, the rest of the plants die, too.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I gotta edit garden pics this year too Hazel. Been too wet here to deal with the weeds in a lot of places and dealing with the puppies last summer already had me behind starting this year.
You still have some beautiful plants and you feed the humming birds too. Gotta like that.
I've got spiderwort and love the plant. The blue flowers are so striking. All native plants tend to look a little weedy, but they're a lot less needy, so in my opinion, the more natives you can grow, the happier you and the wildlife that feed on them are going to be.
I'm planting more and more native trees and shrubs too. Love to see the birds feeding on the elders. My neighbours mulberry was home to a family of orioles for weeks.

Cindy
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I find the natives are much harder to kill accidentally, too! So I'm trying to find more. Another thing I like about them is that the coneflowers, for example, are spreading into the lilies and spiderwort, and the spiderwort is spreading out... Another decade or so and I'll have no more bare spots!

Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

How do you keep such a pretty garden without the dogs Digging them up?? lol
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
How do you keep such a pretty garden without the dogs Digging them up?? lol
Constant vigilance!

Actually, the hummingbird garden is fenced in so the dogs can't get at it...and the kennel garden has so many tomato cages in it that the dogs can't move around in it easily. Makes it easier for me to get them out before they do too much major damage...though I did lose half my white coneflower last fall and the peonies are always being raided when in bloom

Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Doggie Wench

Pretty flowers Hazelrunpack. I think I'm just gonna print all those shots and staple them to whatever shrubs growing out of the mud I have remaining in the yard .
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so jealous!
thats all I wanted to say
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

your garden is beautiful! I wish I had a garden to garden, even though I dont really like to garden more than veggies....
well done, certainly a green thumb or two on you!!
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandsMom View Post
your garden is beautiful! I wish I had a garden to garden, even though I dont really like to garden more than veggies....
well done, certainly a green thumb or two on you!!
I'll bask in the compliments and not fess up about my green (as in moldy) thumb!

Thanks, RolandsMom! Btw, long time no see. How are you doing?

LP--You're lucky to have shrubs! When we were in EC with the Trio (Cass, Ember and Cole) they managed to totally denude our 50 x 70 ft backyard of grass, shrubs and even a few trees! Made it much easier for the landscapers when we moved because they didn't have anything left to rip out!

LMP, do you garden? Despite the pics, I need help! madame hazel is a nincompoop in the garden... We've got a big fenced-in yards for the dogs and the Pack will keep them company...so they'll have plenty to do while you're whipping the flower beds into shape! hazel doesn't cook with furniture polish, either, so the sausages are good at Hazel Run

Old July 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Young at Heart

WOW Hazel - I'm impressed! Your flowers are gorgeous My fav is the Spiderwort - it's beautiful...
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I like the spiderwort, too, Jan. A real plus is that it a lot of baby spiderworts came up this year I love a plant that doesn't need to be coddled...in fact, that trait is a necessity here since I'm so abysmally bad at coddling them...

Old July 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Thanks for the welcome back Hazel.
Life is good. I am in a happy relationship now and Life got a bit busy! sorry I havent been around for a bit!
Glad to see familiar names on here! I dont think I will be participating as much as I used to cause I dont have so much time, but I will for sure be around!!

HOw long does your garden stay beautiful like that?
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ummmm...parts of it stay nice for...um...nearly a week at a time! But new parts will be blooming and pretty through till the first frost--probably some time in October. (It's just that by then, the pretty bits now will be really scraggly and wilted...so I'll have to do some more creative editing of photos! )

Glad to hear that Life is good! And a good 'busy' makes life that much more interesting, doesn't it?