Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2004, 12:55 AM

Chihuahua or Bulldog

I know that I've posted before.But I am adding a new type of dog in my search for a new member of our family.I was looking mainly for a chihuahua whn I first came on here.But my husband and I have decided to look for an American Bulldog or a Chihuahua.The gender does not matter.Neither does the age but we would prefer a younger dog(under 5years).We live in Montreal and are willing to adopt from a rescue.We would love to adopt a dog as soon as possible.Not because Christmas is coming but because we feel as if something or someone is missing from our family.We have a young daughter that is gentle with animals.Please if you know of any Bulldogs of chihuahua that need a new home(willing to look in Ontario also),please email us at whiteknights@tv.videotron.ca or destine0429@hotmail.com
Old December 4th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

Chis and bullies are two vastly different breeds and both (especialy bullies) have lots of healh issues. Have you thoroughly researched these breeds? If you would like a dog so much, why not take in a beautiful, loving mixed breed that is just waiting for a family right now?

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 4th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I posted on your other link.... but www.deafdogs.org has numerous Bulldogs looking for forever homes, they also have a few Chi's. The only "hitch" they are either fully deaf, or partially deaf. If you do a little research, you'll find that over all this doesn't affect the dog, other then they tend to be a bit more "clingy" (stay close to Mom and Dad).... which in my books is a BONUS!!
Old December 4th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't take this wrong - I'm just curious.

American Bulldogs and Chis are just about as far apart as you can get with breeds. Huge, powerful, hog-hunting AmBulls and tiny lap dogs like Chis.

How did you happen to choose two such different breeds? Seems to me if someone is a bulldog fancier, their second choice wouldn't be a Chi.

You've said a couple times you want a small dog. You are aware that Ambulls can be 100+ lbs.?

Have you thoroughly researched American Bulldogs, cause they are definitely not for the inexperienced.
Old December 4th, 2004, 07:24 PM

I still have issues with trying to help you find a dog, any dog! You said before that you have to "get rid of" your cat, so I don't understand how you can "get rid of" a cat, but be happy about getting a dog!! If I had to ever give up one of my kitties, I wouldn't be so happy about getting another pet to replace it right away. You haven't even adopted out your cat, and you're already looking for a dog. That's not right.
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky and the others are so right first of all an American Bulldog is strong willed and if this is your first dog or first large dog this is not the breed for you. These dogs are amazing in a very experienced dog home. They can be very loving and cuddly but they can also walk all over you if you are not a strong owner. I don't get how you could choose to breed so opposite. A chi is so little and requires minimal exercise and a Am. Bully need lots of exercise and walk they are a very active dog so dont let the name bulldog fool you they are much more active than most bull breeds. I hope you have done your homework because if you have not this dog will end up back in a shelter or rescue.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Lets see,your getting rid of your kitten cause hubby is alergic but not to his cat.And now you want to get a dog?So what happens if hubby become allergic to a dog?Then what?
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:27 PM

sorry to get off topic, but i have a question for sara jane who wrote:
"If you would like a dog so much, why not take in a beautiful, loving mixed breed that is just waiting for a family right now?"
I notice a pug as your picture, did you get him from a breeder or from a shelter? I mean, you seem to be encouraging destine21 to get adopt a mix rather than purchase a purebred so I would be right to assume you only adopt?
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:14 PM

I dunno Fruithead, it clearly seems that destine isn't really sure what she wants. I'd give the same advice to someone who isn't really sure what they want.

Why so hung up on the mixed breed/pure bred thing? You want a schnoodle so badly, get one. I don't like the thought of mixed breeds either. Not because they are in anyway less of a dog ( a dog is a dog is a dog), but there are just too many dogs out there without a home....pure or mixed.

I think that these most of these people are simply concerned that another dog will wind up in an unhappy situation and nobody wants to see that. Why not give a dog from a shelter a second chance? You're no better....you said in a previous post that you were going to find a schnoodle? Although they aren't a "purebred", they are a breed of dog, are they not?
SoJu - Shi Tzu
Cafri - Pint Size Dalmation
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:31 PM

Also to add to that Hound dog, schnoodles are designer breeds that cost hundreds of dollars. They are just like buying from a breeder when you could spend a fraction of that on a shelter dog that desperately needs a home.
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:47 PM

i'm just sick of being made to feel guilty for getting a schnoodle puppy. there's thousands of people who buy purebreds not to show but to keep as pets. why is my breed any different? believe me, i'm not opposed to shelters but i have seen many people bring home dogs from shelters that have undiagnosed behavioural problems that stick with them forever and its not easy finding a puppy of the breed you like at a time that's right. nonetheless, our puppy is on its way. we're paying a few hundred for him, just as many of you have for your pets, purebred or not.
i guess my beef is that so many of you make it sound like the homeless dog situation is a result of mixed breeds being bred. there are purebreds in shelters to. in my area, our humane society, which i tried to find a dog from for ages, is full of german shepards and pit bulls (just a curiosity, aren't pit bulls technically a mix?).
i know you all think i'm so terrible. really, i'm just frustrated. what's so wrong with wanting a specific breed and wanting a puppy? are all of your dogs shelter rescues?
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:49 PM

oh, and hound dog, i need some clarification...i'm not better than what exactly?
Old December 7th, 2004, 12:29 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

With the vast population of animals so desperate in need of a loving family, a place to call home, I'm against ALL breeding in general.
Animals are being killed every single solitary day. Instead of paying hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on a p/b......why not pay a fraction of it,take an animal in need off death row..... save a life. I dont care what anyone says, rescues make the best pets. I swear they know you saved them. And just think of all that extra money you'll save that you can put toward other things.....including spoiling your new family member to pieces.
View this before heading to a breeder PLEASE.
Don't Buy, Don't Breed, Rescue an Animal"
The Distressing Fate Of A Shelter Dog

http://www.spotsociety.org/fatedog.html

My babies are ALL rescues. Most from the animal hospital that I worked in for many years...........When you rescue an animal, you save a life. When you save a life, you're rewarded, trust me. And there is no feeling like it in the world.
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:08 AM

You're not better than any of these purebred snobs that you keep mentioning. You want to make a clear arguement as to why mixed breeds are just as great as purebreds? fine. I agree. Many of today's purebreds are dogs that were wixed from different stock to create a dog for a special need...i.e. herding or hunting.

The problem is that you seem to think that everyone is making you feel guilty about buying a mixed breed. You're missing the point. Read between the lines and realize that everyone doesn't agree with you because you're buying a dog from someone who might not care about the welfare of the dog. Does this breeder that you're buying a dog from ever test for possible genentic defects in the parents? Many people support getting purebreds because, on the whole, breeders are interested in preventing making puppies with physiological or psychological defects.

Take the chip off your shoulder. You seem like an intelligent person. Realize that everyone here is more concerned with the growing population of dogs in shelters...not about your love of shnoodles.
SoJu - Shi Tzu
Cafri - Pint Size Dalmation
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:15 AM

Just my two cents

Although I agree that there are a LOT of dogs in shelters who need forever homes, and that there is a reward in getting one and saving it`s life, I can agree with both sides here.

Not all rescue dogs make good pets, and some of them do have "issues" that sometimes( in the defense of the rescues) are undisclosed to the rescue and therefore unknown at the time they place the dog with a family. I think the most important thing is to deal with rescues that, like any good breeder of purebreds, screens the dogs as well as the potential new owners.
My dogue is a purebred and I bought her from a breeder for a considerable amount of money( I could have probably rescued several shelter dogs with what I paid for her) but I do not feel guilty for buying a purebred puppy from a breeder instead of a mixed breed or other purebred from a shelter.
I researched the breed and searched for a LONG time (started when I was 12.......... I turn 36 in January) and went through a very tough screening to be sure the breeder knew what type of home her puppy was going to.

I rescued mixed breeds from shelters before and worked with Rescue dogs in the past, some do make great family pets that can rival any purebred, but there are others that somehow manage to slip through the cracks in the screening system of the rescues.

A lot of people won`t give the rescue the "real reason" for giving up their pet, as they do not want to be judged harshly by a rescue. I know that the rescues that you all talk about on here are very reputable and the people who work for them are truly angels . I have seen threads on this site, however, about rescue groups that are NOT recommended. So we all know they do exist.

In defense for purchasing a purebred for a considerable amount of money and not rescuing a shelter dog, I do make regular donations to shelters and have helped many friends find lifelong companions from rescues. I just knew what I wanted and I was not going to "settle" for a different breed. Call that irresponsible and contributing to the problem but at least I am honest about it.

We all know that if someone wants a certain breed and is willing to pay for that particular breed then there is no reason to waste our breath to try to change their minds.
I think that you have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when choosing a dog for your family regardless of where you get it from.

I do agree also that there is no comparison with chis and bulldogs and that they are so different on so many levels, I question also why those two particular breeds.

Anyway, thats just my two cents. Hope I haven`t offended anyone, just my opinion.
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

fruithead,as it's been said,a schnoodle is a designer breed.They come from BYB's who breed for money.They will charge up to $600.There is no health and genetic testing done on these dogs.Not even if both parents are pure of each breed.A friend of mine paid $500 for her Bichon/Shih Tzu mix.She has doubled that price in vet bills.What we are trying to say is that it's just crazy to pay so much money for a "mutt"

I have grown up with GSD's.I bought my first GSD from a licenced responsible breeder.I spend most of my time at dog shows.No I wasn't looking for a show dog.I was looking for a licenced responsible breeder.These breeders do health and genetic testing,they have been doing it for MANY years.Their dogs are of breed standard.If they weren't,then they wouldn't be showing them.The breed only once to twice a year.They know the pedigree as far as 5 generations.I was put on a waiting BEFORE breeding was to take place.I was put on a non-breeding contract.My one is a retired Police Dog.And I just lost my beautiful Yukon in September.The only time my dogs have ever needed to see a vet was for their yearly check up and shots.

We are just upst that you want to buy a mutt from irresponsible BYB's who are ONLY in it for the money.
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

fruithead, if you want to support backyard breeders and puppymills, go ahead.

Why do you feel you have to justify and rationalize it to us? We will never agree with puppymills and no one who cares about animals in the least ever would.

You want what you want, and you don't care how many of these dogs end up dead because of what you want.

There is no such breed as a "schnoodle". This is a cross of a poodle and a schnauzer. But if you want to pay 600- 1000$ for a mix, you'll be making one person happy - the disreputable person who is pumping them out for $$$ and who is laughing himself sick all the way to the bank.

Enjoy your dog and don't worry about the 104,000 homeless dogs on Petfinder, or the millions who are slaughtered in shelters every year.

Quote:
have seen threads on this site, however, about rescue groups that are NOT recommended. So we all know they do exist.
This is true, but in comparison to the number of BREEDERS who are not recommended - who do no health testing, do not title their dogs, and breed dogs with genetic defects - this number is miniscule.
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM

I completely agree with what's been said to you fruithead. I have 3 dogs, and one I did get from a responsible breeder. That's my border collie. The one thing that I made sure of when I got her was that she was healthy, her parents were healthy, and that I got her after 8 weeks old as before that age they tend to develop serious behavioural issues. Most shelter dogs are the result of bad breeding and were most likely removed from the mum too early, thus resulting in behaviour issues. Your schnoodle will have the same problems if it is taken away at 6 or even 7 weeks. I'm guessing your pup will be about 6 - 6 1/2 weeks old when you receive it as these breeders want mum to be ready for the next round. Therefore, you'll most likely end up with the same result as a shelter dog with behavioural problems. My 2 rescue dogs came with issues, but helping them work through them helped us forge an unbelieveable bond and I can't imagine my life without them. My border collie is very special to me too, but my rescues know I've saved them from possible euthanasia and are very grateful for that. There is nothing wrong with wanting a purebred dog, but do your research before even thinking about it, especially when you're talking about a designer breed, from a byb.
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

The breed you are talking about is by no means a purebred and never will be it is a mutt. If you want to spend way too much money on a dog who will inevietalbly have health or behaviour issues be my guest. I have owned and purchased purebred dogs before but I doubt that I ever will again. My last 2 Mastiffs were purebreds 1 Neapolitan and 1 English and were rescues. This is my favourite breed of dogs and one that is as Doguelover said very expensive because of all the health and genetic testing and veterinary costs. Also if you were dealing with a responsible and reputable breeder you would be interviewed and grilled like you were adopting a child, they want there dogs to go to responsible and committed people which by the way you dumped the cat you would not be considered for a potential puppy anyways. They ask about your previous pets and what happened to them. You will not have to worry about this thought because where you are getting your dog their biggest concern is that you have cash. You will just be paying for the dog and if the mother ever saw a vet I would be shocked. These byb and puppymills are just waiting for people like you who they can sell their designer dogs (mutts) too for over inflated prices. I hope you have started to save money for your future vet bills or will this dog be dumped like the cat.
Old December 7th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Most shelter dogs are the result of bad breeding and were most likely removed from the mum too early, thus resulting in behaviour issues
I have to disagree with part of this. While it's true most dogs who end up in shelters are the result of irresponsible breeding, we have seen on this board many times the reasons why dogs end up in shelters.

Not enough time, priorities changed, having baby, moving, divorce, new partner doesn't want pet, dog got too big, new pet doesn't get along with old pet, and of course the all time favorite - allergies. Countless dogs die just because there aren't enough homes for them.

Any behavior issues are mostly caused by the owners, who can't be bothered training or exercising their dogs or even taking them to the vet.

There are thousands of wonderful, sweet dogs who have been dumped for no fault of their own - including gorgeous purebreds - and any of them would make fabulous pets.
Old December 7th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Agreed Lucky, but that's why I said most. Most people get dogs from irresponsible breeders, realize that they have issues with behaviour, too much enegy and so on, and dump them as you said. It is sad...poor dogs that don't deserve to be tossed away like yesterday's trash.... :sad:
Old December 7th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I also agree with that Lucky if people would spend some time with their pets and work with them there would be a lot less dogs dumped and imagine they would be trained and obedient. They do not come this way it is work.
The only thing that I disagree with is your least favourite reason mine is the were having a baby and we have to dump our loving dog. I guess it is like walking and chewing gum can't do both at once. So there is no way you could walk a dog and push a stroller. I also love to ask these people what will happen to the first child when they decide to have a second? They don't have a pound for kids, yet.
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:14 PM

In defence of SarahJane who hasn't replied to Fruitheads comments about her and the pug picture she has beside her name (and who I hope returns to the board regardless of fruitheads inquisition on her)--I'd like to point out that just because someone has a picture beside their name of a purebred dog does not mean that they in fact own that dog, or look like that dog, or anything of the like. Many people have pictures beside their names that aren't in fact anything other than a symbol of what they like or something they find cute.

As with all of the other comments here, if you'd simply not read between the lines (because there isn't anything to read) you would see that a) SarahJane is a furbaby SEEKER and b) that no one is degrading your dog who I am sure you love and cherish. Many people on this board have mixed breed dogs (many of which have been rescued from shelters). They can be wonderful companions--we simply care about the fact that thousands of dogs are being euthanized because of irresponsible backyard breeder and puppy mills (which are most popular in dispensing low cost mixed breed puppies).
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:27 PM

I have to add that I so very much agree.

A schnoodle or whatever it is, is not a breed. Its a mutt.

No breeding can be abided by in this time of crisis.

Those who buy as opposed to adopt are part of the problem.

Dee
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:35 PM

I agree mastifflover. If people spent more time training their pets, the dogs in shelters would also not have so many issues. Dogs are a lot of work fruithead and they don't come all perfectly mannered. My border collie took FOREVER to potty train. I was up at 2:00 in the morning to take her out to pee because her tiny bladder couldn't hold it. I had puppy pads for her to use, but sometimes she didn't want to and would poop or pee next to it! It was like having a child. So many sleepless nights just trying to train her to potty outside. Dogs are a lot of work, and rescue dogs can be more work, but it is such a great feeling to have someone compliment your dogs obedience and know that it's because you put the effort in to it. It is so rewarding to know that the work you put into them, starts to blossom into an amazing creature. They are the best reward I could have ever asked for.
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:29 PM

As I always say--puppies are like babies. They need love, guidance and care. They don't use the toilet for years and they definitely do not wait until you are ready for them to "go." Like babies, you need to teach your dog--while they naturally know how to walk, they do not naturally know how to walk on a leash, pee outside, not pee inside, and generally act like a housepet.

This takes a lot of work--and oddly enough, buying a dog from a reputable place can make this process much easier.
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

Whoah!

Ok, what the heck happened here since the last time I checked this thread?

The pug beside my name is not my pug at all... simply a dog I found cute so I made an icon out of it, like lil_kirk said (thank you lil_kirk). Sure, I adore pugs, but I adore all dogs... and I will be rescuing one - pug or not - in the new year. If I happen to come across a pug that needs to be rescued, I will be overjoyed! If I find another dog that needs me that is a perfect match, I will be overjoyed!

I have to say that I hate the concept of "breeding" and "breeds" in general to be honest.. it's a twisted display of humanity.

That doesn't stop me from liking particular breeds. Then again, there is no breed I don't like!

And by the way, that doesn't also stop me from disagreeing from your choice of a "schnoodle"... a mutt created to make someone money.... 600+ for something you could have for much less!

If I ever did decide to get a pug, it would be from only the MOST ethical breeder that worked to improve the breed by eliminating as many genetic health issues it could... that actually serves a purpose.

- Woodrow Wilson
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay, two things. First, I thought we were talking about Destine?

Second, and I only say this as devil's advocate, no other reason. I have a rescue dog that I love more than anything (Except my wife, but more than my bike, which means a lot, especially since my wife thinks she's behind the bike), and who was house-broken in a week. Personally, I probably wouldn't get anything but a dog from the shelter. That being said...I know there has been instances where a dog has suddenly become a "recognized" breed (please don't ask me to name examples...I'm not that smart). And lots of today's "pure breds" started out as mutts (the American Bulldog, for example). So here's my question (and it is just a question), if the schnoodle ever becomes recognized, would that make it okay? Or what if the breeder of these dogs does all the proper things (weens it off the mother at the proper time, does background checks, etc)? I'll be honest, I don't buy the "licensed breeders don't do it for profit" arguement. I know several breeders who are registered, and that is all they do, and they aren't living in poverty. I'm not saying that the are profit driven, or they don't do it for the love of the dog, just that saying they don't profit...I don't believe that. I'm trying to get on the police force because I want to be a cop. That being said, if I only got enough money to cover my gas to get to work, and buy me lunch, I wouldn't do it. There are some very intelligent people on here, so please don't jump all over me. I'm asking the question as a point of discussion. As I said, I don't really care, I'll probably always get my pups from the local shelter, especially after Daisy (but she'll probably live forever, so I don't have to worry about it. Right? I SAID RIGHT! )
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:20 PM

In my opinion, responsible breeding is the only way I'd ever get a purebred dog, and the only dog I have that's not a rescue was from a responsible person. It is true that the vast majority of dogs are in fact mutts, even "purbreds". Heelers for example, are crosses with dalmations, dingos, bull terriers, collies, and many others. They were all bred together until the people seeking a cattle herding dog, got what they desired. Heelers were bred for a purpose other than something to look at, which is true for the majority of breeds. The breeders of designer breeds are only breeding these schnoodles and others, for esthetics, not practicality. People want a small, compact, non-shedding, lap dog and thats where schnoodles, teripoos, cockapoos, and others come in. All dogs were bred in the beginning to serve mankind a purpose. Designer dogs have no real purpose, and they're just a fad that will fade along with Guess jeans, big hair, and cut offs.

In response to this comment though,
Quote:
Those who buy as opposed to adopt are part of the problem.
I did buy Kia, my border, but I don't feel in any way that I am contributing to over crowded shelters. I bought her after rescuing Red, my heeler, and I rescued Helix, my heeler cross, after getting Kia. I also rescued my 3 cats and am fostering a cat right now. I've also spent 3 years volunteering with the rescue I got Red from. Not everyone who buys a dog is part of the problem.
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Purebred dogs

I have three purebred dogs and all of them were second hand dogs! All three had a few quarks when I got them but with a little effort they are all wonderful dogs who are the joy of my life. Many rescues I have had over the years are problem free! They easily adapt into a new home and don't always come with issues.

There are so many awesome dogs at shelters, rescues etc I can't see the need to BUY a dog. I am not against reputable breeders at all, I wish it were a lot harder to be a breeder. The problem is lack of education, laws and human greed.

All those designer breeds out there are only over priced-badly bred MUTTS!!! You can head to your local SPCA and buy what ever designer dog you want for about $100.00 already vaccinated and usually spayed or neutered. What a deal?!

Regardless of what anyone buys/adopts do it from a reputable source, not a BYB, mill or pet store. Be sure you research the breed of dog you are looking at, don't buy on looks alone you will end up in trouble. Research the cost and commitment dogs are.

That's my .02 for the day. :queen:
Closed Thread