Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Cat can't walk

My cat is 13 years old and within the last month he has been having troubles walking. His back legs give out. He's eating and drinking fine. Going to the bathroom fine except for he is peeing on his back legs because he can't hold himself up. He is not in any kind of pain. He can walk maybe at the most two feet and then he has to sit down.
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you mean this has been going on for a month and you haven't taken him to the vet?
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Huh?

Please say this cat has seen a vet...at least,(I hope..) you are cleaning him when he does urinate on his back legs, this causes scalding if left & can be very painful.

Again..please tell us he is under a vet's care?!?
Old February 5th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,please bring him to a vet,just because he does not show any pain,does not mean he's not in pain :sad:
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I'm sorry but yes my cat has seen a vet and they said there is nothing they can do for him except surgery. Yes, I have been cleaning him and helping him to where he needs to go! This is our pet! He's like a child to us! I had another cat live to be 19 so apparently I DO take care of my animals. I just thought I could speak to someone on here that had a cat with the same problem not get yelled at! But I guess this is not what you do here.
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

WE ARE NOT YELLING! THIS IS YELLING! WE ARE MERELY EXPRESSING OUR OPINIONS WITH LIMITED INFORMATION PROVIDED BY YOU.

(for example)
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM
banned user

Smile Dont worry debbie

You sound like a very loving and caring pet owner and the fact that you had a cat live to be 19 is pretty awesome!!!

Just because you didn't mention that you had already taken your beloved pet to the vet gives no one the right to say anything negative
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridie20
Just because you didn't mention that you had already taken your beloved pet to the vet gives no one the right to say anything negative
What did you expect them to say? It was not pointed out in the original post that the pet had been to a vet. Why is it people get so defensive when pet lovers show concern about an animal that is having a problem and were not given all the information in the beginning.
No offense to you Debby but there are a lot of people that come on here and ask for information to prolong taking their pets to vets. No one was saying that you had not taken your much loved pet to the vet. They just wanted to make sure that this had been looked after.
Old February 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Debbie,the first advice for a sick animal is always a vet-visit,you did not mention,you had already been..
To many cat-owners a mere little cat is not worth spending money on and are quiet disposable.I am not saying you are one of them,but you did not give enough info.
Your cat is only 13,not old for a cat and if surgery will make him better,that would be my choice...I realize the expence,but your vet might be able to give you a payment-plan many do..
And Cridie20,advice someone to take a sick pet to the vet,is hardly negative,at least not for the sick pet.
Old February 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM
banned user

what ever

hey chico2!
u made your point so...

get on with it and QUIT BEING NEGATIVE!!!! PEACE BABY!!!

I LOVE CATS!!!
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Did the vet tell you what's wrong with your cat and why he needed surgery? Also, did you notice anything else about your cat ~ can you provide us with more informaton? I also have a cat that also has trouble walking (I made a post on this forum several months ago) so I was wondering if maybe the symptoms were similar. So far I've taken my cat to several different vets and no one knows what's wrong. But, they all say he's healthy. Please share some more information with us... perhaps we can at least offer some suggestions to help your precious kitty in the meantime.
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridie20
hey chico2!
u made your point so...

get on with it and QUIT BEING NEGATIVE!!!! PEACE BABY!!!

I LOVE CATS!!!
Chico is a very smart woman, who loves cats and has a few herself, with loads of great advice and has been a long standing and respected member of this board, and if she is ever negative (which she was not and I will point that out) it is not without very good reason and if she is wrong she is first to appoligize.

So........ The only negativity is comming from your direction and that of Debby0515 who thinks asking for clarification of the situation is somehow translated into being yelled at.....I suggest you 2 reread the thread and stop with the being so defensive
SO........Peace baby right back at ya

I am sick and tired of reading threads that turn into a mud slingin match.

Cridie20 you are new here and wanted to join to get some good advice from people with knowledge that you don't have or ideas that you have not thought of, all the members here are a friendly bunch.

This thread started off with a question, to which the members here asked for clarification that the cat was under the care of a vet.....I personally think given the info supplied by the original poster (or lack there of) that this was a totally normal request of info. and was done in a friendly, concerned and worried way.

IE:
Quote:
Do you mean this has been going on for a month and you haven't taken him to the vet?
This question asked for clarification.....nothing negative just simple clarification
Quote:
Please say this cat has seen a vet...at least,(I hope..) you are cleaning him when he does urinate on his back legs, this causes scalding if left & can be very painful.
This question asks the same, note the word Please said on 2 occasions, and offering advice that the cat owner may not know.....I didn't know that! So the info could be handy for the owner to have......again nothing rude here!
Quote:
Yes,please bring him to a vet,just because he does not show any pain,does not mean he's not in pain
Again , clarification on vet treatment still not given, Chico was simply pleading with again the word PLEASE to have the owner take this cat to the vet if it had not already been, and also more advice......some people expect a cat to cry and whine when they are in pain, which is actually not the case with cats ......Chico is simply pointing that out to an owner that may not know this.....again nothing rude here just friendly advice

My 2 cents