Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old January 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Swift Tribe

My New Pets!!!

TRIOPS!!! ill let you know when they hatch.

yyyyyyyyyayayayayayayyayayyyayayayayyaya!!!!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Doggie Wench

We had those many years ago. Our boys' first experience with learning responsible pet ownership. Let's just say they weren't very responsible .
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:01 PM

I just googled them, they are CRAZY looking! Are they just in eggs now?

Thanks, btw, for your advice on the water changes for my sick tetra. I've been using water from the aquarium every day, while still giving him small doses of the mela fix. His eye infection seems to have stopped in its tracks! Hard to tell if it's healing, because I think he can only see through his good eye and therefore only looks at me from one side. But the improvement is there - he was bleeding from the eye the day I pulled him from the aquarium. It's been about a week. I thought I was basically just giving him a comfortable place to die (although it's a very small bowl, he was definitely more comfy in the tank, obv.) but he's hanging in there.

Ha! I've threadjacked the queen of threadjacking! Do keep me posted on those triops though...so INTERESTING!
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Never seen those before,kind of strange looking,but that's not their fault
Looking forward to seeing the hatchlings
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
head in the clouds

*runs to google*

oooh...ew... oooh... (my reaction!).... are they like sea monkeys?!

interesting....
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Okay, I'm very happy for you....ummmm.....but.......ewwwww.... in a cute way?

(this is what I got when I googled)
Attached Images

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
-

I got this pic when I googled....

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...&ct=image&cd=1
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Okay maybe my pic is the underside?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old March 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM
-

That's what I was thinking since they have 140 feet. I think they look better from the top.
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
That's what I was thinking since they have 140 feet. I think they look better from the top.
I think your right!!

Kinda creepy underneath

Old March 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
-

Can you imagine them crawling on you?
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Can you imagine them crawling on you?

*SHUDDER*

Old March 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Swift Tribe

i had forgotten i created this thread!!!!

well im sad to report, the eggs grew fungus. i was really looking forward to my new buddies. i think the temp was too warm on the water i used.

i *will* eventually get some more. until then, ill check out pics of them online because unlike SOME OF YOU GUYS i think they are cool.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
i had forgotten i created this thread!!!!

well im sad to report, the eggs grew fungus. i was really looking forward to my new buddies. i think the temp was too warm on the water i used.

i *will* eventually get some more. until then, ill check out pics of them online because unlike SOME OF YOU GUYS i think they are cool.

-ashley
I'm sorry to hear about your little eggies

They do seem kinda cool, but creepy at the same time

Old March 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
-

Sorry about your eggs W4R

I think they look cool from the top ....it's just the thought of the 140 feet underneath that is creepy.
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Swift Tribe

think 'horseshoe crab' but waaaaay tinier! i think they are really cool but i also think slimy worms are cool... all the creepy crawly bugs (except spiders) are cool.....

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Creepy, crwling, flying, 6 or 8 or 140 legs ...

I'll stick with & if you don't mind
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Swift Tribe

*laughs* i dont blame you one bit!! i get tired of creepy crawly things sometimes. my fuzzy butts, rarely.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
i also think slimy worms are cool...
I'm with you W4R - example - Kuhli Loaches are the cooles things ever!!!
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Swift Tribe

i *love love love* kuhli loaches!!!! they are even cooler with a sandy substrate or something like Eco Complete (of which ive been ultra happy with as a planted tank substrate). i currently have 4 of these- Botia kubotai of which are VERY active, remind me of little dolphins in their curiosity, swimming and social structure. a little aggressive though. i wasnt able to keep slower swimming fish in there. not even my lovely short finned bettas.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Those are really cool!
The only loach I have right now is a clown. I bought him on my birthday and he's my fave fish. They have such personality. The ones you have are so beautiful...but I've had some bad experience with aggressive fish, and I only have a 20G, so I try to stay away from that sort of thing. I had some gouramis once, but one ate the other one and then terrorized everything else in the tank. I bought two zebra danios becuase they are really fast and less likely to allow themselves to be attacked. Then the terrorist gourami died and I was able to get some other stuff.
I've been thinking of getting a buddy for my loach though, but I need to replace my pleco with a baby one first because adding another fish right now would probably put me over my limit.
What kind of aquarium setup do you have? A really huge one?
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Swift Tribe

for clown loaches??? a 75g would buy you some time but honestly, they grow to be FEET long. ive seen them, with my own eyes, *cramped* in a 300g tank. they were also over 10 years old so you have some time. loaches are very social fish and having buddies is a great idea.

gouramis are difficult to work with. some are more social than others. having a well planted (fake or real) and uneven numbers really helps out a lot. makingn sure you have plenty of space is also a must. they are large fish with large territories. they are also labyrinth fish who can breath surface air but because they are territorial, they should never be kept with other labyrinth fish such as bettas. there are tons of morphs (color differences) between types of gouramis. for example, opaline, pearl, three spot/blue are all color morphs. there are a few more in that group but thats all i rremember now. all of the 'dwarfs' are different color morphs so keeping uneven numbered groups of them together are ok. i keep sparkling gourami because i have a 'thing' for tiny fish LOL!! and they ARE tiny but also territorial. im able to keep my 5 in a well planted 10g tank. some of the more unusual gourami such as the licorice or chocolate have a very very low pH requirement of which is VERY hard to maintain.

those common plecos folks pick up should never be kept in anythign less than a 55g. they are poor algae eaters, have dietary requirements of which most folks dont know about (such as having wood to chew on, blanched veggies to eat) and also grow to be HUGE quickly... or SHOULD grow quickly but because of the build up of hormones in aquarium water, it stunts their growth. there are some smaller plecos of which are VERY COOL!! such as the rubber lip or clown.... maybe the bushy nose, of which can stay in smaller tanks like a 20 breeder btu again, they are fairly poor algae eaters.

look at some different kinds of shrimp and either a SIAMESE algae eater (not to be confused by a CHINESE algae eater... of which is the most cruel of aquarium fish) or the otocinclus. you can fit 1 per 5g and they eat LOADS of algae. unfortunately they are wild caught and delicate fish. of the 8 ive kept in my fish keeping career, ive only kept 2 alive for more than a few months. usually its internal parasites that takes them out. or possibly the stress of shippign and moving. i havent tried ordering them online but next time i will.

i do NOT have a really huge set up. not yet anyway.... my husband keeps threatening divorce if i get any more fish or tanks. i currently (perhaps i should update my signature?) 4 plakat Thai bettas, 2m/2f (in separate tanks!!!), in my 20g 4 of those loaches, 1 siamese algae eater and 3 white clouds and a 10g with 5 sparkling gouramis and 1 pea/dwarf/indian puffers(everyone calls them something different!!!). i have aspirations to set up a stupidly large system with discus and cardinal tetras and a spawning pair of scarlet plecos and MAYBE a herd of cory cats. i am currently working with a buddy of mine to build matching display tanks (5g each) for my bettas so they can move from the kitchen to my mantle in the living room (i could look at these guys all day long). id like to find new homes for my loaches and WC's and use that 20T for SW. corals. lots of corals and live rock. fish as an after thought!!

my grandpa has a laser etcher so im still working out what i want to put on my little betta tanks. any suggestions?? im sooooo excited!!!

danae, i kicked you a pm, did you get it??

-ashley the fish dork

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Yep, I got your PM, thanks!

I was told at my fish place that the siamese were really aggessive and was talked out of buying one! Maybe I'll look inot one next time I'm in.
I just bought a spare heater/filter from a guy that was breeding all sorts of fish in his house. He had these albino plecos that had really long and curly fins/tail - they were the cooolest thing! I told him to email me when they're ready.

I had a herd of cories once (albino) and they all got sick. One of them, the one that lived the longest, oddly, lost his tail somehow and it never grew back. They were so cute, I was very sad that they didn't last. I did everything that I could for them.

Have you ever had to dispose of a live fish, in a humane way of course, because he was sick or injured? The tetra I'm nursing now - the fish place told me it was probably an incurable parasite and I should just freeze him. I couldn't bring myself to do it, it seems like such a bad thing to do, but so common!
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Swift Tribe

clove oil is the most humane thing that most folks can pull off. they say lopping the head off is the least traumatic and least painful if you can do it fast enough. lay them on a really wet piece of paper towel (wetted with tank water!) but i prefer clove oil. its a sedative (i delivered a breach baby endler once with it!!!) but in large doses it just puts them to sleep and it shuts down their system. its REALLY expensive. i keep a 1oz bottle around for emergencies. i had to use the whole bottle on a goldfish though. that was almost a $10 euthanization. poor Finny Foo. he is sleeping under my cat nip plants, his portal to the giant fish bowl in the sky.

cory cats (being sensitive bottom dwellers) suffer from poor water quality the worse. what do you do to keep the water clean??

i aim for weekly water changes (ie take old water out, put in new treated aged water) of 30-50%, bi-weekly gravel vacuuming and on the other weeks i change out filter media or shake/rinse them out. i also (try) to under stock and under feed. all of my fish but the gourami and white clouds get fed 2-3 times a week.

boy im chatty today!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM

I usually do a 30% change every week, including gravel vacuuming. Those plecos sure can poo! At the time I had my cories, though, they were in a 10 gallon, which I had a REALLY hard time maintaining. Things are dying a lot less iwth my 20. I still have the 10, and would like to use it now that I'm moving and have some more room, but I'm not sure what I should put in it. I'm thinking a couple of moors, I've always liked them, just for show.
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Swift Tribe

see, i tried to keep a goldfish in a 10g... a singular goldfish.... doing daily water changes of 2g and vacuuming/filter stuff once a week and it didnt happen. ive known waaaay too many people who have had such shoddy luck with goldies. ive had a few experts on them say the first goldie should be in nothing less than a 20g and then another 10g for each one after that. considering they are genetically inferior fish and that they get to be the size of a soft ball, i tend to agree. i gave my goldy Finn exceptional care and still couldnt keep him.

if i ever try them again, i will get him/her from a national breeder and keep a single on in a 30g. it totally broke my heart that a fish that SHOULD live 20-60 years didnt make it a single year in my home.

a great suggestion for a 10g would run you with two of those oto cats i suggested, a handful of cherry shrimp, some live plants and perhaps a betta, a trio pf guppies (but let them eat the babies) or some sparklers like i have... maybe a pair of SMALL killifish?? or a small school(5-8) of rasboras?? i *love* axelrods rasboras!! internet pics do them NO justice!! or you could do 3 pair of threadfin rainbows?? i *love love love* threadfins!! they are so dainty and they display to each other which is just beautiful!!

OKAY!!! I HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES!! I CANT PLAY ANYMORE TODAY!!! this is my first lazy day since thanksgiving!!! dawwwwg!! i might be back later tonight.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Okay!!!
I will remember this thread when it comes time to move, and look into all the fishies you just suggested (the killifish look REALLY cool!).
Thanks!
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Swift Tribe

ok ok ok..... im bad... im back for a second! Swift V.2.0 is getting an emergency bath... who knew Jelly was impervious to wash cloths!!!

all of those fish i suggested are far far more stunning than you will find on the net and they just get prettier after you get them in your tank and they feel healthier after being shuffled around. you could also do a single dwarf gourami in a 10g. there are some really really pretty ones. chekc out www.liveaquaria.com for their flame dwarf gourami, they suggest 20g minimum but i not sure why, they are just another color morph of the dwarf if i understand correctly. look into it if youre interested though. maybe you can find out WHY they suggest 20g instead of the usual 10g.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
you could also do a single dwarf gourami in a 10g.
Do you mean having just the one fish in the 10g, total? Or the one gourami with maybe some bottom feeders or something?
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Swift Tribe

so i was saying you could do the oto cats and a handful of shrimp (cherry/ghost/amano or that size) along with either-
-3 pair of threadfins(feed daily)
-a male betta(feed every other day at the most)
-1m/2f ratio of guppies(feed daily)
-6-8 small rasboras(feed daily)
-a small pair of killifish (think REALLY SMALL)(feed daily)
-1 dwarf gourami(feed every other day)
-5-8 sparkling gourami(feed daily), a little aggressive, WELL planted, think 'choking with plants'
-1-3 pea puffers(feed every other day), also a little aggressive. make territories with a cave for each with one extra, small terracotta pots work very well.

if you did the single fish ideas (single gourami, single betta) you could subtract a oto cat and do 3 or 4 kuhli loaches but i strongly suggest lots of water changes (think 50% weekly) and a sandy substrate at less than 2" deep.

also bettas, gourami, killifish, pea puffers(which are one of the only puffers commonly/uncommonly found thats actually freshwater!!!) and guppies all appreciate live food. if you have some mosquito larva or fruit flies you can catch, they will gladly eat those.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09