Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 27th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Quaffed

I'm the owner of a 11 month old Standard Poodle. He has not had a hair cur in 4 months, but is going in the next couple of weeks. I bath him myself between clips and is soft, cuddly and adorable. Occasionally I get comments on how cute he is. Whether its because he's still a puppy or because he doesn't have that fancied up show cut that some owners have their poodle done up in.

As a poodle owner that doesn't intend to show his dog, I could never do that to my dog, not that he would care. he gets the straight cut, and usually not overly short. I understand the purpose of why the poodle was cut a certain way at one time in history to protect body parts while retrieving from the water or the bush as a hunting companion, but as most pet owners allow their dogs inside, why cut the hair that way?

are these people empty nesters or have nothing better to do? I suppose someone is going to tell me that showing their dog is their life. which leads me back to having nothing better to do than cutting the hair in that stupid way. i love my dog as much as the next, but i would not gell my hair up like i just got out of bed like some young guys do, why do it to my dog?
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm with you. Some of those cuts actually look uncomfortable for the dog, not to mention breezes in all the wrong places. I'm probably wrong.
But think about this. If a poodle owner goes so far as to pay for fancy haircuts (excluding show dogs, that's a whole other category), they are much more likely to be taking care of their animal in other ways. So I'm happy.

Please post a picture of 'natural boy' when you can.
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wow! Not a way to endear yourself is it?
Some people have poodles not to show them but to enjoy them. They like the way poodles look with the "old time" cut. I don't happen to be one of the ones that like that cut but I do think that people should be able to cut the way they want. In my hubby's case he said there is no way he would walk a dog down the streets looking like that. Again - personal preference.
Just as a note - You said you are brushing your poodles' coat on a regular basis. Are you also trimming the hair around the anus and in the ears? Those spots on a poodle have to be trimmed regularily because if not it can cause health issues as in all dogs. The hair tends to curl into these areas on poodles which can cause infections.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/top-med...dog/page1.aspx

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM

grooming

thanks for the site on the importance of grooming, especially their eyes and butt. however, i always hated the way the rectum was done because i found it always seems to draw ones eyes there, like "LOOK HERE"!!

if i don't want a full body cut, at least i can get the the ends done. so they don't look to much the same.
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I'm with you. Some of those cuts actually look uncomfortable for the dog, not to mention breezes in all the wrong places. I'm probably wrong.
But think about this. If a poodle owner goes so far as to pay for fancy haircuts (excluding show dogs, that's a whole other category), they are much more likely to be taking care of their animal in other ways. So I'm happy.

Please post a picture of 'natural boy' when you can.
I totally agree. I know it's somewhat expensive to get a doggy done up, and I know people who do that with their dogs every few weeks. Those are the ones who really take care of their dogs. You don't spend that kind of money and keep your dog in the garage all tied up with little food or water.

I personally have never liked that ball cut as I call it. I like the normal cute short little cut with the poofy little ears.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Thumbs up Standard Poodle

I have Lisa groomed 6-8 weeks depending on the season and trim her hair whenever I see some hair that is interfering with her bodily funtions. She loves to brushed by me. She is more beautifull when puppy cut by a groomer that loves and adores poodles as companions.
Attached Images

Old March 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Hi Dorothea, Lisa is a beautiful girl.
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM

cut & dry

dorothea;

I get my poodle "Chester" cut like yours, on the body anyways. i don't like the tail so fluffy. I guess its somewhat personal. He's a lot better than when he was younger when it comes to getting groomed.

The place I took him to here, in Montreal, closed and the girl that worked there started doing it on here own. she did it at my house just before Christmas, but I won't do that again because of the mess. I guess I let it get long for the winter, but its probably getting to long know.

He does not mind the brushing, except on his chest, and a it bothers him a little on his front legs where residue from his rawhide bones get stuck a little. I guess the brush pulls the hair, like when you have a knot in your hair.

anyways, after he gets cut, people at the dog run I take him to are always surprised at the change. Its such a big change, even for us. I guess we get used to seeing him daily.

Atleast it grows back.
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I trim my Den-Den myself also. I like him fluffy also. I do keep the hair on his body at an easy to maintain length that doesn't mat easily. Den-Den's all boy so he has a moustache.
Attached Images

Old March 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Hi Rod

I feel that grooming of your pet is up to you. We all like different looks in people,, why not in our pets. Long as their healthy and happy, cared for properly and loved, what's in a hair cut
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:46 AM

Grooming

its been said that pets often look like their owners. I've seen that many a time even though the owner might disagree. That being said, my wife has her hair short and straightened the last few years, but if she went au natural, she'd have curly hair like chester.

yes to each their own and what makes us individuals.