Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Here's Nicky! Finally!

Hey there! I finally have pics of Nicky, I hope you can see them, as they were taken with a camera phone. When I first saw him, I said, "Pomeranian!" Everything about him says Pom, except his face. His body, his legs, everything, says Pom. His fur is blonde and red and it is brushing the ground. The only thing that let me know that he may be mixed with something, is the fact that his muzzle is too long. It's not short and "lion-like", like a purebred Pom. This thing will only let me upolad one pic at a time, so I'll have to make new threads per pic. Anyway, what do you think?
Attached Images

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I think he has a Chihuahua face,an adorable little fur-ball:love:
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Nicky Again

Another pic of Nicky.
Attached Images

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Honest Contributor

beautiful boy! more photos please

might he have some maltese in him? by the coat and maybe face... or Lhasa Apso?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

He's beautiful! We definitely need more pictures!
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM

I was thinking Chi as well...I'm not experienced enough to guess anything else..lol He's just sooooo Pom...I've been in denial for a long time that he's mixed with something, but I've come to terms..lol
I'm having a hard time uploading pics. I'm gonna go try something, and I'll be right back with more of Nicky.

Old September 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Nicky

Last edited by Mahealani770; September 18th, 2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Two More

Here are 2 more of Nicky:

Last edited by Mahealani770; September 18th, 2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:49 PM
-

I'm always bad at guessing the smaller breeds so I'll just say PomXCutie.
Old September 17th, 2006, 05:07 PM

haha...I just can't stop..look at my sweet boy! lol

Last edited by Mahealani770; September 18th, 2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old September 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Awww...thanks everyone...he's my little man!

Old September 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
banned user

My best guess is that he is a purebred pomeranian. I really don't see any reason to think otherwise. He is obviously oversized and not breed standard but there are a whole lot of people breeding pomeranians that look a lot like him.

Anyway, he is certainly cute. What is his story?
Old September 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
I'm always bad at guessing the smaller breeds so I'll just say PomXCutie.
Hey,that's what I was going to say
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Very cute!

btw, if you click the little image button (yellow with grey mountains) beside the quote button when you're posting and put your photobucket link in the pop up box, it'll display the pic directly.
Old September 18th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I love my shiba inu.

He is beautiful, such a cute little face, I wish my dogs would accept a little
guy like that, but I can"t take the chance enjoy him I know you will.
Old September 18th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Boss-lady!

He's beautiful! Cutie little lion dog.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Nicky's Story for Cygnet

Originally Posted by: Cygnet
Quote:
Anyway, he is certainly cute. What is his story?
Nicky was found in a ditch on a busy highway, here in Atlanta. My co-worker was driving down this highway one Saturday evening and barely saw Nicky's head pop up out of the ditch. At first he said he thought it was a fox or something, but as he got closer, he realized it was a little dog. So, he pulled over, stopped traffic, and called to Nicky. He came to him!
Nicky was very matted and his long fur was tangled with briars and all kinds of crap. He had no collar on, was not mircochipped, and had no tattoo. It was as if someone simply dropped him off on the side of the road to fend for himself.
Anyway, my co-worker brought him to work on Monday (December 2005) and kept him at his desk as he had nowhere else to put him. My co-workers wanted me to take him because they knew I had just lost my pug, Suki, when my house burned down 4 months prior. So, I spent a few minutes with him here and there that day and fell in love. My co-worker wanted to do everything he could to find his owners before giving Nicky to me, so he had him for about a week or two. Obviously Nicky's owners weren't looking for him, because my co-worker did everything in his power to find him. He even had some people trying to pretend that they were Nicky's owners, but my co-worker kept catching people in lies, soooo....Nicky became my little son..lol

It was 3 days that I had Nicky when I found this site and if you look back at my original posts, you'll see how completely frustrated I was and how ready I was to give him back! lol Nicky and I have both come a long way since then and I owe it all to the wonderful people of this website. I have completely changed my thinking around about pets and have become inspired to want to foster special needs animals because of this site.

Nicky couldn't be alone without barking incessently. He peed and pooped in the crate I had to keep him in when we would go to work or leave for any reason. He had to be put in a crate because he would pee all over the apartment. So, since I had no idea if Nicky had ever been in a crate, I began to crate train him using positive reinforcement. He also had guarding issues with his chewies and he also guarded my partner. Everytime we came near his chewies, or if I tried to get close to my partner, he would growl and/or attack my feet. He was an aggressive little thing and I was at my wit's end with him. I spent hours on this website learning how to NILF and Alpha train him, with the help of everyone here. Nicky no longer guards anything. I broke him of that by hand feeding him his kibble one piece at a time and then plunging my hand into his food bowl while he ate. I also practiced exchanging one treat for his chewy, until he realized that I was the boss. Nicky also sits before he gets ANYTHING.

I could tell that Nicky had already been somewhat trained because we can take him outside without a leash and he will stay right beside us. He also knew how to sit. The only thing he doesn't know how to do is to play. Nicky is somewhere between 4 and 5 years old and it seems to me that no one has EVER played with him. He also continues to pee in his crate and once in awhile he'll poop. He has a small kitchen and his crate to roam around in, which is baby-gated from the rest of the apartment. Nicky does not bark anymore and is finally comfortable being alone. That took a lot of walking in and out of the apartment to get him used to the fact that we were not abandoning him. He's a great little man now, but I still can't break him of soiling his den. Who knows why he does it. It kills me that I'll never know what kind of environment he came from, but the fact that he practically army crawls to us, with his head down, when called, tells me a lot. When he does this, I give him tons of praise, I gently put my finger under his chin, raise his little head, and I say to him,
"Hold your head up high little man, mama loves you, and you are safe here..."

So, that's pretty much Nicky's story. Sorry it was so long! lol

~Mahealani~

Last edited by Mahealani770; September 18th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Prin

Thanks Prin! But the pics come out so huge that I feel like I should only do that for one pic at a time..lol

Old September 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM

lol never! We don't mind big pics of little doggies.
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Mahealani,thank's for reminding us,now I remember little Suki and that terrible fire:sad:
I am glad Nicky is doing better and that you stuck with him,never gave up
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Thanks Chico, I really appreciate you remembering. That means a lot to me.
*tear* :sad: I also appreciate your encouragement with Nicky. He is a handfull, but he's worth it.

Old September 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Sorry, I hadn't read that post earlier- just passing through..
I remember that too (I never forget a pug). That was so sad.

I'm glad Nicky has somebody to teach him how to play.
Old September 19th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Thanks Prin, Suki, Nicky, and I appreciate it!

Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM

Ok, so I guess it's settled? Nicky is a non-standard purebred Pomeranian crossed with cuteness? lol

Old September 23rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

He is very cute.I like the bath tub pic.Lucky little man.
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Awe, thanks Angeldogs. That is my favorite pic too. I have it up on my wall in my office and everytime I see it, it makes me laugh. I think it's because of the way he has his little head cocked to the side..lol..it kills me!

Old September 25th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Just had to say, what a sweet little guy...The story of how you and he got together made me cry.......especially the part where you said "he'd army crawl to you with his head down and you raise his little head, praise him and tell him he was your boy now" ......man......I'm a sucker for a sad story :sad: I'll never understand as long as I live how humans can throw away these little lives.........I'm so happy you've taken him in....God works in mysterious ways.
Old September 26th, 2006, 01:08 AM

Very gorgeous dog. My sis had one but more red color, he lived until he was 17. I'd say a cross with some Papillon in him.
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Vel

Awwww Vel! You're so cute...lol I'm sorry I made you cry, that was not my intention, but thanks for the sentiment..lol Nicky is a special little boy and he continues to be a mystery to us each and every day. We belive that Nicky got put out of his home because he cannot stop pottying in the house. It's a guess, but I bet that's why. Nothing we have tried works and you know as well as I do that most people don't have ANY tolerance for a dog that is not housebroken, especially at 5 years old. Anyway, all we can do is try to raise his self-esteem and give him lots of love and keep correcting him in positive ways. Thanks for your comment. I'll give Nicky a good tummy rub for you!

~M~

Old September 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Cinnabear

I was thinking Papillon as well. I think it's because of the way his fur hangs from his ears maybe? Who knows! Yes, 17 years is a long time and I hope that Nicky lives at least that long. Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.
~M~