Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 4th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Senior Contributor

2½ month old kitten not weaned?

Or is he really 2½ months old?

Spoutnik was sold to us at the SPCA as being a 2½ month old kitten. He's tiny, but then all our three girls are adults and big, so in comparison he would be. They sold us a bag of dry baby-cat-food at the same time.

He is not eating it, seems he can't manage more than a few of those tiny little pieces before his jaws and teeth get too tired. Last night I tried giving him some mashed-up canned tuna (in water) - all I had in the house - and he ate that ok, but threw up during the night, so how much did he get out of it?

This morning, he's trying to get milk from Sheba (she's really being good and letting him, but he gets frustrated because there's no milk!).

I'm thinking he must be 2 months at the most and should have been with his mom a little longer.

Lewis is picking up some canned kitten food today, but won't be home till 4:30 or so. I was thinking of trying some warmed up milk (body temp) and a little bread soaked in that - only have skim milk and whole wheat bread, but it still has to be better than nothing, right?

Chopped, cooked chicken breast wasn't popular either, I tried that this morning, as well as a little piece of scrambled egg (no salt, we don't use salt) but I realy believe the poor little guy is younger than we were told (or childish?)

Anyone have any ideas? I do want to keep him alive!!!

He's warm, plays some, sleeps a lot, all signs of him being really young poor baby
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

You could moisten the dry cat food with water or broth, he'll have a much easier time eating it.

Cindy
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

It is possible he was not totally weaned, my foster kittens were still nursing away at that age, but were also eating watered down Kitten Wellness, canned, no hard food at that age. Do you know if he was fostered? If so they may have been feeding him canned as well, not dry. High quality, grain free canned is best for cats anyways, you can find Wellness brand at just about any Pet food store, but is not sold in grocery stores.

He may be lactose intolarant so the milk may be upsetting his tummy.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

In an emergency, plain meat baby food (chicken is good) would be a better option than milk or tuna. Do you have a grocery store close by?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Sarah,I thought he looked younger,right from the first pic,but it's often hard to tell.
I don't believe a kitten would eat chopped up chicken,especially if he's younger than you were told.
I would dilute some good quality canned kittenfood and hopefully he'll know how to eat it.
Putting a little food on your finger and letting him lick it first might help
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Swift Tribe

also, make sure he isnt not eating because of a lack of appetite. derr..... thats a double negative... but i think it works.... lemme have another cup of coffee....

what im trying to say is check his poop, feel his tummy, make sure he isnt having an issue thats making him feel bad. maybe a run to the vet is in order??

-ashkey

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL, thanks guys !!!

Nearest grocery store is 2,5 km on snowy roads and I'm on foot. But I might just go, for his sake!

No history at the SPCA, they said the owner of the mom brought him in, but who knows?

Only reason I tried tuna and chicken is that that was all I had in the house! Warmed some milk for him and spoon fed, seems he's keeping that in (skim milk), so I'll wait till 10am and go to the petstore (also 2,5 km! GRRR),don't really feel like waiting till Lew gets home at 4:30 pm poor little thing.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you have some cream or whole milk, it has less of whatever upsets their stomach. skim milk would be the worst. Maybe some kitten formula from the vet would get him started.
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

No such thing in this house, no.

I was able to get in touch with the guy who dropped Spoutnik off at the SPCA (and he was happy to hear that the kitten had a home already). He told me the kittens were eating on their own (barely, so I think they should have stayed with Mom a little longer) and it was canned food, but his sister was the one who knew what kind and she was at work ...

Well, I'm one small step closer to a solution I guess.

Tried mushing up the dry food in liquid ... it didn't go soft! I'm out of here at 10!
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sarah, if you get the baby food (good idea) for the little one make sure it has no onion powder in it. Deadly for kitties!
My pet store has a milk replacer for kittens. It is used for when they are taken from mom too soon or she isn't feeding. I bought some for one of my little ones when she had to be in the house with a broken leg. It's called Nutrience Transition. The kitten loved it as did her sisters and brother and cousins. It isn't expensive and can be fed either on a saucer or syringe.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Onion is no good for dogs either

I will go see what they have at the local store. The vet I called wanted to see him in case there's some physical reason he doesn't seem to even want food. Right now he's sleeping on a bag and SHEba is close by, watching him!

Thanks for all the tips!
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I have used the baby food (chicken and broth) with my small ones. I warmed it up a little bit. They love the smell and it seems to get their appetite up. I was worried about one of my small tabbies who didn't seem to be gaining weight so I tried it. You should see her now! She is 4 mths and weighs a whole 2 lbs!!
Good luck with the sweetie pie.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Poor kitty - i hope you find something he likes! Once I brought home a kitten (8-10 weeks old) and she was refusing the kibble I had bought for her. I thought something was wrong w/ her until I offered her some wet food which she gobbled right up! I don't think she even recognized the kibble as food at that point. Good luck w/ Spuotnik and his food!
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

We have located a syringe with a teat, and will get the formula and bab-kitty-food. Hopefully he'll like it and get back to his funny, playful self again!

Great support, thanks everyone!
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM
150% PRO S/N

Good Luck and let us know how he is doing please!!!

Old December 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

For SURE !!! Updates as things happen

Right now he's been sleeping inside my jacket for an hour, just crawled out and went onto my desk to curl up there instead, guess he got too warm.

I've given him some milk every hour so he at least gets something inside him until I get the appropriate stuff!

As long as he's warm, breathing and doesn't have the inner eyelid closed, I'm not overly worried, just concerned. At least we know what to do, that's a great help!

3½ hours to hold out kittycat, and I'll get the milk and food you need !!!

Old December 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Update:

After sleeping most of the afternoon, he woke and stretched before attacking a shoe-lace for a few minutes, and then his tail.

At least it's certain, all he needs is food adapted to his extreme young age, he's not sick!

He's kept down the teaspoons of milk I've fed him too, which at least has hydrated and somewhat fed him. He's washing himself even, which a sick kitten would not do.

Could be he had a 24-hour bug too?

OK, back to sleep, but the eyes were clear before they closed and he didn't look sad, just tired.

Tough little boy little food is on its' way!
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM
150% PRO S/N

So good to hear!!!!!!!!! I would still try to get him to eat some of that baby food. He will LOVE it and may help him to get used to regular soft food. Then start doing the mixing of food with the babyfood. I would save the hard stuff till he's a little older poor baby. So glad!!!!!!!!!

Old December 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Absolutely! We're starting with baby food and formula! Or the other way around.

Formula today, a mix tomorrow (in the "bottle") and some pure formula meals, then babyfood in a saucer and formula-bottles the rest of the week. I'll get the cans of wet kitten food for next week, and mix a little more into the babyfood every day till he's happy with it.

We were going away this weekend, but no way we're leaving baby alone until he can eat and play and be his happy little self again
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Baby food IS brilliant. I swear it saved my baby's life when I got him. He loved it and totally went to town on it. Since he was severely underweight (hard to be when you weigh less than a pound) he seriously needed the nourishment. I keep jars of it around for emergencies now!

Sounds like your baby is doing much better. I'm so glad you're a good mom who pays attention!!!
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I never could understand people who get dogs only to leave them chained to a doghouse outside all the time, or cats that are just fed outside and otherewise left to themselves. If I get an animal, it becomes a family member the minute it's inside the house!

Just one thing, what kind of food should I pic up - chicken, beef, lamb ... ? Veggies in the mix? First age of course, as pureed as possible!
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:18 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post
I never could understand people who get dogs only to leave them chained to a doghouse outside all the time, or cats that are just fed outside and otherewise left to themselves. If I get an animal, it becomes a family member the minute it's inside the house!

Just one thing, what kind of food should I pic up - chicken, beef, lamb ... ? Veggies in the mix? First age of course, as pureed as possible!
First off...... I buy the chicken with broth. I think it is made by Heinz. Not the veggie ones. It has onion powder in. At least all the ones I looked at did. The chicken with broth is a little harder to find. I get mine at Sobey's.

And as for the other part....... out of necessity my 16 kittys are outside BUT I spend probably a good 4 or so hours with them daily and they have an insulated, floor to ceiling carpeted shed, and a 1/4 acre to play in. They are very happy playful kitties who love being together. I take turns bringing them into the house occasionally for nail clipping and ear cleaning and things (spoiling) but they can't wait to get back out with their sisters and brothers.

Old December 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I didn't mean YOU and your cats! What you are oing for them is just wonderful ! I was talking more in general, people who adopt a pet just to leave it outside; not someone who builds a shelter and a "houdini-proof" enclosure for homeless kitties !

if you misunderstood me
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM
150% PRO S/N

It's all good Sarah!! Check your PM

Old December 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

check yours
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

14+kitties ... Pharmaprix had the Heinz Chicken and broth !! The pet store next door had the formula and the baby-bottle. The mix, once Spoutnik figured out that the teat wasn't something nasty being pushed in between his jaws, went down without protest!

I picked up a small rubber spiky-ball at the pet store too, so he can have it in his room when he feels better and wants to play again. And his room, has a wire holding it just open enough for him to get in, even Misti can't!

But Misti got to lick the edge of the babyfood glass, and Sheba cleaned off the kitten, so only Dani hasn't tasted the food (yes, I tasted it too pretty darn good!)

Now Spoutnik is settling in to sleep in his corner on my desk. Has to digest this stuff you know

Thanks again everybody! Update tomorrow if there is anything (and even if there isn't).
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM
150% PRO S/N

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I am glad it worked!!! He is such an angel. Now you have to worry about weaning him from the bottle. Are you going to try the milk on a saucer next week to see how he does with it. And then you can slowly get him off the "teat".
That sounds great letting him have a private spot to go to. Kitties love that. I have 2 old coffee table frames in the catuary shed for mine to hide under. One is covered with carpet with one side open. The other is covered with an old barbeque cover I cut to fit and stapled on then slit one side so it's completely private. They love hiding under them!! And this is soooo
and for little Spout!!

Old December 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I am glad it worked!!! He is such an angel. Now you have to worry about weaning him from the bottle. Are you going to try the milk on a saucer next week to see how he does with it. And then you can slowly get him off the "teat".
That sounds great letting him have a private spot to go to. Kitties love that. I have 2 old coffee table frames in the catuary shed for mine to hide under. One is covered with carpet with one side open. The other is covered with an old barbeque cover I cut to fit and stapled on then slit one side so it's completely private. They love hiding under them!! And this is soooo
and for little Spout!!
is good

He's had another few drinks while we were watching some TV. Every time he would open his eyes, there was the bottle! Now he's in his room, in his house-bed, and the saucer right in front of the opening has some of the chicken-milk in it! If he gets hungry during the night, he can just go get it.

I'll see tomorrow morning if it's been touched at all ...

At least, he hasn't thrown up any of it, so he's getting the nourishment which is what he needs. Sleep, eat, sleep and eat some more before going back to sleep!

And so will I (sleep that is)

Good night friends
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:57 PM
150% PRO S/N

He's doing what all babies do with a full belly. Eat, sleep, and ..... watch out for the other part
He should be on the road now. And the milk (you got the powder stuff?) is a good thing to keep around for a treat now and then if you don't use it all. Or save for your next one.

Old December 5th, 2007, 04:59 AM

It sounds to me like they misjudged the age of your darling kitty. Here is a link which has kitten development stages with pictures. You may be able to get an idea how old he actually was.
http://www.angelfire.com/il/kimlance/development.html
Was he purring yet? Pris still had the conical tail, and she turned out not to be entirely weaned yet because she was a rescued kitten. One thing I think nobody has mentioned is that cats under stress sometimes don't eat much until they are settled down. It might just be "new home syndrome."

Baby food is really great but like others have said, check the ingredients, and ideally ask your vet for guidelines about what will be easy on his stomach. Try to get baby food that has no salt and no sugar, and if possible, no preservatives. No onions, no garlic. Some baby foods have only meat and water. They will eat the smooth kind and the kind for slightly older babies that has a gritty look. Be careful about kidney or liver baby food. My mother warned me that while cats will almost always eat those, even when they are very sick, they sometimes won't want anything else once they have had them. We once had to resort to that with an extremely elderly cat, and it's true, it was hard to get her back off it. I'd avoid giving organ meat baby food to a kitten in case. Tuna is controversial these days because of all the contamination of fish worldwide, and high salt content of most canned tuna for humans.

Be aware that milk gives some kitties the runs. One of my vets said it is ok to feed them a small piece of white bread dipped in milk. She said this is less likely to cause upset, but be careful. Cow milk is nothing like cat milk. Also be careful how long you leave the milk out, especially if you have mixed it with a meat product.
Food safety tips, includes milk:
http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/foodsa...oisoning.shtml
You have an under-weaned kitten apparently, and that means he didn't get all the immune system protection from his mother he should have. You might want to be especially careful because he is so little.

I am SO glad to hear your baby is eating! He is very lucky to have found such a caring home, too.