Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old February 27th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Question looking for a smooth dachshund

Hi, I'm looking to adopt a smooth-haired dachshund. Can anyone give me a hand? I've looked at a lot of sites online and am unable to find one in my area (Ottawa). I can travel a short distance (there and back in 1 day, 2 at most). Thanks in advance!
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

YOu can look at Canadian Dachshund rescue

They have dogs listed here and in the US, and will help transport for the right home.

There is also lots of good info and things to consider if you've never had this breed before.

Good luck.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I just came across your post so you may already have found a darling Dachshund. As was pointed out to you, Dachshunds do have health issues and I would suggest you perhaps ask a vet for his/her opinion on the adoption of a mini Dachshund and the potential future costs of very possible back/neck disc surgery and other potential health risks. You could also call Guelph Small Animal Clinic and perhaps discuss with someone in the Neurosurgical area. Regrettably they know/KNEW me by sight. Also be fully informed on temperament of the dog. All Dachshunds love me - particularly the Alphas. Many are abandoned simply because people are expecting a little stuffed dog - not a Dobe in disguise. Then of course the back problems - many of those abandoned have suffered an "event". Not to discourage you, but my 2 main guys are waiting for me in Rainbow Bridge. Wonder Wiener II, who died April 16, 2004 - 10 months to the day of his middle of the night surgery - would have turned 8 April 2. You just have to be prepared - but if lucky you could never go through this, but chances are not are you side. Dogs of my life. We now have an Americn Eskimo - oh, boy! But he has a very sweet nature and is trying very hard to be an Eskie/Dach - he has picked up the "vibes" between me and Dachshunds on the street.
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:25 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

If Twin76 comes back here, I have sent her a pm. CDR has a smooth hair up for adoption and I can do the transport this month.

SnowDancer, I so know what you mean about the Dobie in disguise. Dobbie, Rottie, DMD in disguise. Valentin thinks he is 212 pounds, not 12 pounds. I had a standard smooth hair as a child and I guess were were lucky, Gretchen lived to a ripe old age, with no back issues. I try my best to minimize the chance of back issues with Valentin, but the little devil also thinks he is a bird and can fly.