Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Exclamation German shepherd 10 months old

I have a problem with my german shepherd. He is 10 months old, and about a week ago, he started to lose his appetite. He doesn' want to eat his dogfood anymore, or really any type of food at all. He eats very little, and drinks very little. We had taken him to the vet, and all the tests and x-rays showed normal. He is on antibotics and steriods. Does anyone else have this problem, or have any idea whats wrong with him? He is also limping on the left back leg, and there is nothing visible inside the foot. Please help if anyone can, he is only a puppy.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hmm why did the vet put the pup on antibiotics and steroids w/o knowing what the problem is?

Your pup could be experiencing pain in the legs from growth.
Oh Mona was talking about this before with GSD, maybe she'll see this post and give you a better idea what they call it.
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm here Luba Booba.....

chudze04,..sounds like your pup may have Panosteitis...My cousins GSD has this at age 5 months.It started in his front paws first,then went to the back leg.That was the worse.He wouldn't eat or drink.Lost quite a bit of wight and had a fevor.He was given antibiotics for the fevor,and Bayer asprin.It can also just be in one of leg.My cousin never had to give him steroids.

Please mention this to your vet.

Here is a link.You can read up on it.

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/mu...anosteitis.htm
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Tx Mona I knew u'd remember
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

YVW....

I always wonder the same thing Luba....I have been hearing so much that vets are putting dogs on antibiotics and steroids when they don't know what is wrong.....
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Chudze04,
Has your pup recently had any vaccinations? My 16 month old Boston Terrier is experiencing a reaction very similar to your description. He had his yearly boosters on Monday and now it hurts him to even walk. This is breaking my heart because he loved to play and would run for the joy of running. I had no idea pets had allergic reactions like this. The vet is talking of putting him on steriods also.
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Senior Contributor

This is why a lot of us do not believe in yearly vaccs. Other than rabies vax - required by law - my dog gets no other boosters.
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:47 PM

Response

I don't believe this has anything to do with vacinations. He had them a long time ago, and I believe it has something assosiated to what the other lady said. Although I will not rule that out. Thank you for your help.
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm not planning on yearly vaccinations either, not required or needed.
Just a way to make money off people!

So how is poochie feeling today? Any changes?
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

chudze,how is he doing?.Is he eating at all?..Have you talked to your vet about the panosteitis I mentioned?I know,so many questions...LOL

Also,if he isn't eating,try giving him some cat food.I thought it was baby food that my cousin was giving her dog.But it was cat food...And he ate it.She said the vet had suggested this.It worked.
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
This is why a lot of us do not believe in yearly vaccs. Other than rabies vax - required by law - my dog gets no other boosters.

Agreed. In all the years of having my GSD's, once did they get a heart worm test and then nothing for the next 10 and 12 respectively. Strictly controlled environment (no chasing road kill, escaping adventures etc) meant they could avoid the shots. btw, my F GSD was neurotic and aggressive when she had been given advantage worm pills/chunks. A side effect sometimes seen.
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Hope your pup is feeling better. I own an 11 month old gsd and am quite familiar with the breed. With regards to the eating, sometimes they don't eat as much during growth spurts. Mine goes through bouts of the same thing. They won't starve themselves. But if you're concerned I would talk to the vet. We always found that when our dog lost his appetite that plain, unflavoured yogurt would help. He would always eat that. Also, the foot sounds alot like pano, as others have mentioned. Our little guy has had a few bouts of that as well, one which was quite severe. What brand of dog food are you feeding him? In my experience, feeding large breed puppy food is the worst. They grow too fast!!! We feed a holistic adult food and his pano has stopped. I wished I had known this from the beginning. I would have never fed my guy large breed puppy food. Hope this helps and let me know how he is doing!
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Hi,
I have a 19month old GSD.. He had the same thing happen to him, limping on his left hind leg, the vet told me that their bones sometimes are growing too fast just to give him baby aspirin and i used to rub his leg when he favoured it. He outgrew it also. As for not eating, trust me, they will NOT go hungry as long as the food is in abundance, have you tried mixing wet and dry dog food? might work.
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:01 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue

Do you mean no other boosters at all?
I am confussed with this subject, should we or should we not have boosters yearly? I would really like to learn more about this, thanks for any info.
Lorie
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Dogs in general are over vaccinated...for the vets and drug co's to make money off of sucker owners. The problem is , over vaccination does more harm then good.

The problem is that vaccinations are
#1 : NOT adjusted to the size and weight of a dog/cat
A Horse for instance gets the same as what a dachshund would
#2: Antibodies remain active in the body for YEARS! Yup I said
YEARS!
#3: You can do TITER testing to determine if your dog has antibodies
for the different diseases.
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:58 PM

You have to keep in mind though, that it is the law in most places. If your dog bites a human, or another animal and you cannot show proof of rabies vac. you are liable. Many vets give 3 year vaccinations. Check with your vet.

If I had a small dog that always stayed in the house, I wouldn't give it vaccinations, however, my dogs go to many off-leash events etc. and I can't take that chance.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Question

Since you are discussing vaccinations, can I ask whether it is important to vaccinate a cat twice against feline leukemia (first shot and then a booster two weeks later)? He is an outside cat. Should these be given yearly? I too am a little suspicious about all the vaccines vets claim our furbabies need, but I want him to be protected.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'll leave that one up to the cat people
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Red face

Sorry to interlope on dog country - I'll start another thread
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I just have no idea myself
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:22 AM

Unhappy GSD hip dysplasia

Good day..I have a 9 month GSD with severe hip dysplasia, her parents don't have it, but obviously they have the gene. I was wondering if anyone out there knew anyone who had a FHR done and what the outcome was? I am seriously looking into this as I want my puppy to have a wonderful life.
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I know quite a few dogs that have had the surgery and most are doing great. Especially the younger ones they seem to bounce back faster. I would suggest contacting Guelph University and speak to someone there they do incredible work and if they can do it you might save yourself some money as well as get top notch treatment.A friend had her Mastiffs right hip done and saved 900.00 from what her vet charged, since money was not the issue for her she donated the difference to the vet school. He has fully recovered and in 6 months is doing the left side. This site deals with mastiff medicine but has some great info for hip and joint and tplo and luxating knee caps etc all common in this breed as well as many others. Good luck and I hope everything goes well
http://www.redwoodempiremastiffclub.org/