Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

View Poll Results: Ever had a bad dog park experience?
Yes 7 50.00%
No 6 42.86%
I only have a cat 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Ever had a run-in at the dog park? We have stopped going.

Of course if the dogs had their way we would go every day.

But after running in to far too many aggressive dogs with not-so-bright owners, we decided a big fence was a good investment.

We used to enjoy it before it grew too much and the crowd turned bad.

I'm sure we're not the only ones.

http://twitter.com/nigelbugger

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1117485381
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I voted no because I've never taken them to a dog park. I've heard too many people with too many problems there. Our yard is large and fenced and my two guys have a blast out there.

Cindy
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

When my rott and GSD were alive I went everyday to the dog park. I enjoyed watching them interact with other dogs.

Now however I cannot go sadly. Now an owner of a min pin - it is out of the question as she does appear 'ratish' and I cannot take a risk.
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM

used to love going to the dog park with my old dog.. a boxer... we now have a shih tzu and the first time I brought her, a male dog sniffed her then lifted his leg and peed on her!!! then that seemed to set off a lineup of dogs peeing on her.. 3 more after him did it?!?! Well, that was bad but the second time we went, she rolled over in play with a terrier type dog and first thing a large german shepherd had his jaws around her stomach and was picking her up!? Well... never again... I think she's too fluffy, the bigger dogs think she's a teddy bear or something.. although that doesn't really explain the peeing on her obsession!
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM

I bring my boxer there every weekend.

I belong to a website for boxer owners, and the majority there do not go and advise not to go. I was a little upset when I read all of that, because I really wanted to bring my girl there. So I took a chance and have had no problems since. She’s not even 7 months old yet, so sometimes is a little to playful with the smaller dogs, so I always redirect her to go play with the big dogs.

A lot of people seem to misinterpret boxers’ play for aggressiveness, but luckily there are a lot of boxers there too and everyone seems to love them!

Stella absolutely loves it, and sleeps the rest of the day after our visit.
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

We never go anymore, our lab/rottie girl gets a little too overstimulated and often is the instigator in fights, so we just don't put her in those situations anymore. Although we do need to get her better socialized, she seems to get anxious when there are too many dogs around.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I think dog parks a great place, but there's need for precaution. It's true, you never know who you may run into there or what dogs. Generally the experiences I've personally had have been positive, but I have seen a couple of "arguments" break out between other owners. One in particular with a lab female and a three legged female shepherd that were trying to dominate one another. The owners of the lab were quite upset and the man ended up picking the three legged dog by the scruff of her neck and screaming at both the dog and the owner. It was crazy! We left, but thats about the only bad scene I've wittnessed.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM

I got fed up with the park last fall and nearly quit, but joined a pack (gang?) instead, and its' been fine.
One thing that's weird tho, is that the other dogs in the pack hate boxers, and I mean they hate them! Scruffy's picked up on this and has now started going after them. Very weird.

But yes, there are lots of aggressive dogs/dumbass owners in the summer and I'll likely stop going until fall again. Just not worth it.
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM

not to a dog park. There aren't any near me. I do take mine to a regular park nearby, there is a group of dogs/people that we regularly see at the park, the dogs play off leash together very well. Recently with the warmer weather, more people and dogs have been showing up, which is fine, so this regular small group of 5 dogs has become more like 15 dogs. Whenever I see a new dog show up, I make my dog stay until I'm sure the newcomer is friendly.

I see people do things they shouldn't be doing every day with their dogs, Like last week, somebody had brought over his dog that was in heat. not the best idea for off leash play. And then there was another person who decided to give a whole bunch of dogs treats, obviously a fight broke out over the food. She doesn't feed the dogs anymore

People are generally pretty nice though in my area, they mean well and they are very friendly.
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I used to go to the dog park but with everyone standing around talking some of the dogs were getting territorial and causing fights.the park even has signs up telling owners to keep walking because standing around can cause such problems.

Jag was almost into a few fights because of some owners.me and my bro took our dogs to the park and this big black dog,looked rotti/lab X good looking dog.keep attacking my bro's dog and all they would do is laugh about
it.

we warned them jag would protect my bros dog.their dog and jag had
the mouthy argument and as long as jag was around the other dog left my bro's alone.once i called to jag lets go he took off their dog started to attack my bros dog again.

well jag came along in a full out run and slammed their dog in the side of their dog with his chest sent the dog on his side.they were mad.we said told you so and they left.went back a few times after that but to many people not watching their dogs or picking up the poop as per the rules.it wasn't worth it anymore.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't use dog parks, but it is too bad there aren't ones that people need to join and follow certain rules. Sort of like a dog club I guess. And if their dog causes trouble and it keeps doing it, then they are no longer allowed to bring their dog back! Like 3 strikes and your out kinda deal.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
I don't use dog parks, but it is too bad there aren't ones that people need to join and follow certain rules. Sort of like a dog club I guess. And if their dog causes trouble and it keeps doing it, then they are no longer allowed to bring their dog back! Like 3 strikes and your out kinda deal.

Debbie
I agree with you.i've talked to people that have been to one a couple of times.but because some people let their dogs get out of control they don't go back.