Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Kitty Consort

Dog Food Choices - No Corn?

I have just re-read the posts on dog food brands... a most interesting and informative thread!

Could I ask you - which of these two small kibble dry dog foods seems better?
Or do both seem a poor choice due to the corn content? Should a dog food contain NO corn or corn gluten meal at all? ( I avoid this entirely with my cats)

At $12 for 3 pounds.. The Royal Canin I've been using is 4 times more expensive than the one listed below - that has chicken as the first ingredient. I bought a bag just to try it.

Royal Canin Mini Dog Food ( Poodle 30)
Ingredients:
Chicken meal, corn gluten meal, ground corn, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), ground barley, ground oatmeal, chicken, natural chicken flavor, powdered cellulose, dried beet pulp, salmon oil, soy protein isolate, dried brewers yeast, soya oil, calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, chicory extract, DL-methionine, sodium tripolyphosphate, L-lysine, choline chloride, borage oil, taurine*. Plus added vitamins I omitted from list)

Presidents Choice Nutrition 1st Premium Adult Dog Food
Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, brewers rice, ground corn, corn gluten meal, poultry fat ( naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), ground barley, fish meal, poultry flavour, beet pulp, flaxseed meal, dried whole egg, yeast culture, salt, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, mannannoligosaccharide, choline chloride

I need a small kibble, and as he's a tiny dog that doesnt eat much.. the cost is not the motivator.
I do though want to get the best "buy" nutritionally..and I dont think I have it with R.C.