Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 16th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Shedding dog and Holistic Blend

Hi, I've been reading the food forum and nowhere have I yet seen the brand that I feed my two dogs - Holistic Blend Chicken & Rice formula. I was told at the local pet store that it would help with the amount of shedding by my two dogs (Guinness - a Shepherd/Collie cross, and Gryphon - a Lab/Border Collie cross). As you can imagine, my two beasties can generate a lot of hair, especially Guinn. The food has definitely helped in the "poop" department, but the hair is still a problem. Their coats look nice and shiny, mind you. Any thoughts on other foods that may tackle the problem a little better? (My son, who is 10 months old and crawling around has become our secondary Swiffer!)

Oh, BTW, the ingredients are: Low ash chicken meal (see my "Ooops" post below), whole ground brown rice, hulless barley, whole oats, chicken fat (preserved with rosemary), rosemary extract, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), natural chicken flavour, tomatoe pomace, salmon, dried whole eggs, nutritional yeast, kelp, sunflower oil, garlic oil, whlole dried carrots, whole dried potatoes, beta carotene, calcium carbonate, chelated minerals (zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, iron proteinate), sodium selenite, potassium chloride, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, vitamin A supplement, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin K supplement, vitamin D supplement, vitamin C supplement, folic acid.

Last edited by Guinness; February 17th, 2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol, I remember those days with my little guys. Maybe supplement with some additional omega 3. There may not be enough in the brand you are feeding. Although, I have Berners and I swear I need to follow behind with a vaccuum to get it all and one is shaved!
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM

The main ingredient in that food is rice, followed by other grains, so it would be logical that the coat would suffer. IMO, the best foods for coat quality are the ones with fish in them. But beware the whole meats- chicken meal is better than chicken because it's dehydrated already, so they don't boost the numbers by including the water content of the chicken.
Old February 17th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Ooops! Wrong first ingredient

Ooops! I copied the list of ingredients from the company's website and realized it's different on the packaging. The first ingredient is actually low ash chicken meal, not low ash chicken, so they have dehydrated the chicken already. Ah, the importance of editing...

Would it be useful to add a supplement to their food (a fish oil or something) or should I just consider switching brands?

Last edited by Guinness; February 17th, 2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM

It wouldn't hurt (and would probably be less trouble) to supplement first and see what happens before switching foods.