Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:58 PM

kitten biting

Help! I have a 6 week old kitten and she has a problem with biting. I can be sitting on the couch or cooking dinner or walking around and she'll swat at my feet and then start biting them. I say No and then try and move her attention towards a toy or the scratch post but that only keeps her occupied for a couple of seconds and then she's back at my feet again. It's getting painful! I have scratches and bite marks all over my feet. Is there something I can do to prevent her from biting? I'm afraid if I don't stop her from doing it now that she'll continue to do it when she's older. Help!!!
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

She likes feet huh! Well there are some great people on here that can help with cat problems. But what if you tried to put lemon juice on your feet or even some vinegar. The taste will deter her and maybe she won't bite them

I'd hesitate to put them on your hands as it may make the kitten afraid to let you pet her.

Lets see what the kitty experts say
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM
banned user

2 of our kitties did this to our feet and legs as well, they were really young. Our hands also when trying to play with them. We thought it was normal kitten play so we didn't do much about it. We knew they weren't trying to hurt us, just playing. I would try the lemon for your feet, but like Luba said, not on the hands.
We cut their nails and that helped a lot. Kitten claws are very very sharp and can feel like a bite. You could always try a little spray of water when she's really goin at it! Good luck.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

6 weeks is too young be away from the mother cat. Kittens who stay with the litter for at least 8 weeks learn how to play nicely and not to bite and scratch.

Pouncing, stalking, scratching and biting are normal for kittens as they develop their hunting instincts. Do not to anything punitive in any way to a 6 week old kitten. She will NOT understand, and it will just make her fear you.

The biting and scratching will get a lot worse before it gets better, so you may as well be prepared. Kittens have a lot of energy and need to play. Use toys on strings that keep your hands away from teeth and claws.

The best solution is to get another kitten.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

See, I knew u would know best
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL - Luba do you know how many kittens have passed through this house and much I've been scratched and bitten??

If you REALLY don't want to be scratched and bitten
Then please, oh please don't get a kitten!
(sorry, it's late and had a few glasses of vino tonight! Excuse my bad poetry!)

Forgot to mention - get the kitten used to having her nails clipped. Start when she is sleeping. Be VERY gentle and stop if she protests and continue another time.

My cats are used to having their nails cut, and rarely object to it, unless I try it when they are "busy"!
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky..awwww kitten-hood
My friends always know when a new little one has joined my family,my arms and hands look like road-maps
Kittens pounce at your feet,attack anything that moves as a potential play-thing,that's just being a kitten.It does not mean he'll be doing it as a grown cat,does not mean you have an aggressive cat...
Never ever punish a kitten for being a kitten,a mist spray bottle with water is an idea,but better yet,is another kitten to practise with and keep him busy Mind you,no guaranti he won't still be attracted to wiggeling toes
He's very young and probably would benefit from cuddling up to another kitten. I wish people would not cruelly take kittens away from mom so early,they learn so much from their mom
Also,if you are inexperienced,take care trimming the kittens nails,only the hook part of the nail should be clipped,don't cut any closer..
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:38 AM
~Cat Servent~

Talking

Yes I can also tell you that scrappy kittens are nothing to worry about. They just like to take their teeth and claws "out for a spin" every once in a while. Smoke loves a good "hand to claw" play combat every once in a while. And well Windy (she's my ankle biter), still has that obsession with feet...but now it usually only involves a few licks, a nibble and a hug...then a nice long nap curled around my ankle-provided I don't have anywhere to be!
And for sure get them a variety of toys, fur mice, cat-nip pouches(I make my own with cat-nip, pistachio shells and a crinkly plastic bag sewn inside a fabric pouch), DEFINITELY invest in one of the larger cat scratch posts with at least two levels and a section covered in heavy rope(it WILL save your furniture). And I have to say again that "string on a stick" is a tried and true way to excersise and (usually) wear out a hyper cat or kitten- not to mention that you usually get quite a workout too!!! My girls will run up and down our hallway as many times as I can before I collapse! And make sure you take lots of pictures...cause we all love pictures!!!
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Seems like the things my cars like are the ones that are free...

- empty Tim Horton paper bags - balled up so they can chase them
- pop bottle tops - they skid across floors so easily
- empty toilet paper rolls
- a backpack left on the floor for them to investigate
- a tent made out of a blanket someplace new

Of course, all this was discovered after many pet store toy purchases!

The only thing that they still like that I bought are these hard plastic coiled springs. They fly across the floor when batted and are easy to pick up in their mouths and they can stick their paws in them.
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Fostered kittens and cats many years ago, while trying to find them homes and it never phased me that the kittens bit me or scratched. It was all par for the course and seems to me dogs and puppies do the same.

Sadie is 8mons and still gnaws on me sometimes. Being a little sadist I actually like it hahahaha!
Old August 7th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Ummmm, Luba? That's (whisper) "masochist".
Closed Thread