Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for?
Conservatives 17 27.87%
Liberals 13 21.31%
NDP 17 27.87%
Green Party 7 11.48%
Bloc 0 0%
Independent 0 0%
Not Sure 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Election Poll

In keeping with the recent political discussions. Who is everyone planning to vote for in this election?

Any one else struggling this time around with the parties, their platforms and the issues??

I'm really having a problem putting together a coherent and educated voting scenario myself this time!!
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG that will be the only time youll see that NDP at 100 % LOL
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:17 PM

I think that the most important thing for voters to do will be to thoroughly review the party platforms. They should be released sometime soon, at which point everyone can go to their websites and really sink into what the parties believe in.

My thoughts: The media is biased so listening to them will only cloud your judgement. Allow yourself the opportunity to learn on your own---not use the media to tell you how it is.
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrocky1
Bwahahahahahahhahaha
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie
I think that the most important thing for voters to do will be to thoroughly review the party platforms. They should be released sometime soon, at which point everyone can go to their websites and really sink into what the parties believe in.

My thoughts: The media is biased so listening to them will only cloud your judgement. Allow yourself the opportunity to learn on your own---not use the media to tell you how it is.

The question is... do you trust the various party "spin doctors" more than the media?!?!?!
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:48 PM

I wouldn't trust any party spin doctors. I would want to review the platforms on my own. Don't listen to other people, just review the words on the paper. These are their promises, they are written and the parties can be held to account for their words.

I would skip by any thing else on the websites too and make a beeline for the platforms.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't trust any party spin doctors. I would want to review the platforms on my own. Don't listen to other people, just review the words on the paper. These are their promises, they are written and the parties can be held to account for their words.

I would skip by any thing else on the websites too and make a beeline for the platforms.
Lizzie,

Are you an innocent or just an idealist???

The spin doctors put together the written policies/platforms as well as the speeches, debates etc.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:47 PM

Gazoo:

I am quite aware of who writes what. I'm wondering though, if you won't put any faith in platforms, why would you believe the media who wear their biases on their sleeves?

Furthermore, I simply made a suggestion that people should inform themselves by reviewing the root of each party. I have no idea why my suggestion would make you think i'm either an idealist or innocent. Because I feel that your condescending question is unnecessary, I see no reason to validate it with a response.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:51 PM

I really take it all with a grain of salt. Maybe I'm overly cynical but I really believe anything the parties or prime ministerial candidates, print or speak is primarily crafted and shaped to get votes; while the actual policy seems to be a mere after thought.

The true measure of a party in our system are the views and perspectives of the individual riding candidates who really are the grassroots of the party.

Unfortunately it really seems that our democratic process is starting to collapse under the burdensome weight of the recent trend of political parties catering to their own self serving interests rather than truly serving the public good.

I think I may become an anarchist.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Gazoo:

I am quite aware of who writes what. I'm wondering though, if you won't put any faith in platforms, why would you believe the media who wear their biases on their sleeves?

Furthermore, I simply made a suggestion that people should inform themselves by reviewing the root of each party. I have no idea why my suggestion would make you think i'm either an idealist or innocent. Because I feel that your condescending question is unnecessary, I see no reason to validate it with a response.

I wasn't being condescending at all. I apologize if it came across that way. Besides there is nothing wrong with being an idealist. In fact I often wish I still was one myself.

I am just very cynical as to the actual value of the party propaganda.

Last edited by Gazoo; December 15th, 2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Well that's exactly why Canadians should start demanding that politicians live up to their election promises. McGuinty is a fine example of someone who told one tale and once elected, wrote a new story.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Well that's exactly why Canadians should start demanding that politicians live up to their election promises.
Good point!!
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:22 PM
-

Now wouldn't it be nice if we could hold them accountable for their promises.
Almost every one of them breaks them so maybe this is why we don't trust them.
Old December 16th, 2005, 02:11 AM

A good example of politician promises made to win an election just happened in Montreal where Gerald Tremblay promised not to raise residential taxes if he was reelected mayor. Well, less than 2 months after he was reelected, he put out his budget that involved tax hikes for more than 2/3 of Montrealers. It got so much crap from the media that he scrapped his budget.

You have to think, these twits are out to win an election. They're like dog food companies- they know what they're selling but they write it all up in such wishy-washy words that nobody really knows what it's all about. I like Craig Oliver on CTV. He seems to be the most critical of all the parties and he makes good points. He points out where the parties switch opinions and the consequences of their promises. It's great.

I like to read the promises, but only as a really basic guideline. If there is a lot in a party that I don't like, I won't vote for them, but if I like it all, my vote is still not guaranteed. I just haven't crossed them off yet.

What happened to all the money from the last election? A lot of people voted NDP to raise their election money and what difference has it made?
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrocky1
It is pretty funny the NDP is leading the poll on this board. . . . . not mocking those who would vote that way, just noting that a minority position in real life is the dominant force here.

As to media bias, all sides claim the media is controlled by the other side by the way . . . . but you'll never see the CBC accused of right wing bias. The test of a good media outlet is whether or not it is accused of bias by both sides, a pretty good indication its getting things right.

Although referencing the USA political scene, this is a pretty good examination of the politics of paranoia.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...24_page2.shtml

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old December 16th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Bump for more votes...I'm really curious
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey, so far Pets.ca may havae created a new coalition government, NDP/Green!
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:30 PM
<-----nut ball

THis is my listing of most prefered to least (of the major parties)

Green
NDP
Liberal
Conservative

As stupid as the liberals have been lately, I will still take them over conservatives. I think my vote will probably be a preventative one again this time, in that I would rather vote NDP or Green, but will probably vote liberal just to keep the conservatives out.

Ohh...wanted to add that we don't have bloc members here so...don't really think I would vote for them.

We have an AWSOME green party candidate in my area. He is a family phyician who works in a naturopathic clinic. He is so nice (been to him a couple times) and his clinic is so nice. They have massage, chiropractic, family doctors, and all kinds of free and pay "sessions" and seminars. They even have meditation on weekday mornings.

Last edited by raingirl; December 16th, 2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
THis is my listing of most prefered to least (of the major parties)

Green
NDP
Liberal
Conservative

As stupid as the liberals have been lately, I will still take them over conservatives. I think my vote will probably be a preventative one again this time, in that I would rather vote NDP or Green, but will probably vote liberal just to keep the conservatives out.

Ohh...wanted to add that we don't have bloc members here so...don't really think I would vote for them.

We have an AWSOME green party candidate in my area. He is a family phyician who works in a naturopathic clinic. He is so nice (been to him a couple times) and his clinic is so nice. They have massage, chiropractic, family doctors, and all kinds of free and pay "sessions" and seminars. They even have meditation on weekday mornings.
So you want the Green party but you feel you have to vote Liberal because you really don't want the Harper crew, and we gotta wonder how many people are in similar boats, we feel we cant vote for who we want because of the political system that we live in, thats got to make the case for proportional representation, I have so far had the luxury of living in two ridings were it is possible to elect an NDP candidate, and luckily for me thats my choice but in so many cases, and Prin has given this example as well, we feel that our first choice doesn't have a chance so we don't want to waste our vote. This cant be how democracy is supposed to work-every vote should count.
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:45 AM

Exactly, Babyrocky. I doubt I will vote for who I really like (NDP) rather I'll probably vote against the party I really don't want to win (against the Conservatives/Bloc by voting Lib).
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:52 AM

I'm a moderate, but...with the country fairly flush with $$ right now I really think a minority Conservative government might be a good idea and the best of both worlds... as their fiscal conservatism would assure that the we don't squander and fritter away the $$, maintaining our positve economic position, while their minority position would be a check to assure that they don't become overly socially conservative.

I also like the Conservatives goal in re-building our pathetic military and in turn strengthening our world position and our sovereignty. Our military has really become an international embarassment, we are a country known and lauded for a protective peacekeeping role in the world and we've leet our military erode to the point we cannot even do that effectively anymore, which in my opinion is a necessity in helping the world in humanitarian and peacekeeping missions.

Last edited by Gazoo; December 17th, 2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

OOOO, I'm so glad you started this thread Gazoo -- I was thinking about starting one, but was afraid a political debate would get outta hand WAYYY too fast!

I'm really confused about who to vote for.

Bloc -- I think that they are a relatively smart bunch BUT I'm not a seperatist and voting for them means spending millions on a useless referendum -- which even if they won, the Supreme Court made it impossible to make a unilateral split from Canada.

Liberals -- the liberals should be punished for the sponsorship scandal. It's not ok to send out the message that the governement can rob us and we'll do nothing about it. They'll never be found guilty in a courtroom -- so they should be found guilty at the polls.

Conservative -- I don't think spending millions on military is a great idea. My brother was in the military for years , in the engineer departement -- they used to build bridges and then blow them up -- for practice. You know how many mouthes could have been fed with the money spoend on those 'training sessions'? We won't be going to war anytime soon...so why spend our money THERE?? Just MHO though, please don't be mad -- I have full respect for the opposite opinions. Also I don't like that Harper wants to go back on the 'gay mariage' issue. I'm a live and let live type of person, and everyone should have the same rights. AND, he's also against abortions -- don't even get me started!!

NPD -- they're actually looking the best to me now. But they'll increase taxes like crazy -- the democrates are BIG spenders. AND I'm not too keen on the leader.....

And voting for anyone else is throwing a vote out the window.....I wish we had a better choice of candidates.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."

Last edited by meb999; December 17th, 2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999
OOOO, I'm so glad you started this thread Gazoo -- I was thinking about starting one, but was afraid a political debate would get outta hand WAYYY too fast!

Conservative -- I don't think spending millions on military is a great idea. My brother was in the military for years , in the engineer departement -- they used to build bridges and then blow them up -- for practice. You know how many mouthes could have been fed with the money spoend on those 'training sessions'? We won't be going to war anytime soon...so why spend our money THERE?? Just MHO though, please don't be mad -- I have full respect for the opposite opinions. Also I don't like that Harper wants to go back on the 'gay mariage' issue. I'm a live and let live type of person, and everyone should have the same rights. AND, he's also against abortions -- don't even get me started!!

Yeah their socially conservative approach bugs me too...but if they're a minority they'd be kept in check
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I'm a live and let live type of person, and everyone should have the same rights. AND, he's also against abortions -- don't even get me started!!
Just a point of clarification here. Regardless of what Harper's personal view is on the issue of abortion, a CPC GOVERNMENT WILL NOT LEGISLATE ON THE ISSUE OF ABORTION. I caps this because I feel it is important that people do not read the previous post and take away from it that a CPC government would take any action on this issue.

In fact, at the March 19th policy convention, the vote on this issue was in favour of pro choice.

I don't want to hijack this thread, I just want to keep it accruate.

On that note, the Leader cannot make the policies himself...without the backing of the party, which he would never get on the issue of abortion, no CPC government could, or would ever, take any action on this issue.
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:48 PM

I don't trust that enough. To me, a conservative government would spend the next 4 years regressing- taking all we've accomplished in civil rights and undoing it.

How can I vote for somebody who, if he got his way, would have girls secretly crossing the border or using coat hangers? No thanks.

And Will and Jack next door? Who cares if they're married or not? How does it affect your life? You can say that it's against your religion, yeah, so? If you're a Catholic and the neighbor's a Protestant, isn't that against your religion too? Like Trudeau said, the govt has no place in the bedroom of its people. Move on! Move forward!! Wanna talk about wasting taxpayer's money?
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM

A Conservative government would be a minority and thus it would be kept in check by the opposition in any vote in the house.
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo
A Conservative government would be a minority and thus it would be kept in check by the opposition in any vote in the house.
So basically we'll be back to what we have right now.
Better the devil ya know than the one ya don't!
I'm voting Liberal.
Old December 18th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo
But if everyone thinks that by voting conservative, they'll have a minority conservative governement -- or a conservative opposition, isn't there a possibility that they become a majority governement?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 18th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

But no matter what, as a women's rights activist, I can't bring myself to vote for conservatives. We've come too far to let a Bush-wanna-be bring the women's movement back 20 years....
The problem is I can't bring myself to vote for thieves or for seperatists either!!!

Old December 18th, 2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
But if everyone thinks that by voting conservative, they'll have a minority conservative governement -- or a conservative opposition, isn't there a possibility that they become a majority governement?

A valid point.
Closed Thread