Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old January 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

heartbroken

This is my George (I know it's a strange name for a pooch!)
He was me and my dad's dog. We got him when I was thirteen or fourteen. He was there for me through all the akward teenage years. He was the best friend I've ever had.
He got diagnosed with a spinal degenerative disease about a year and a half ago. He slowly lossed control of his hind legs and this week lossed control of his bowels. The vet said it was time for him to go. We brought him in today.
My dad said his tearfull goodbyes, and left. I stayed with him while they gave him the needle. I wish I could have done more. I've never seen a dead pooch before, it was horrible -- but I'm glad he wasn't alone. I'm glad I got to pet him and make him feel comfortable while he went. I only wish the vet would have told me it would be so quick, I would have held him while she gave him the injection. I thought that would give him the needle, he would start to feel drowsy and I could hold him for his last moments. But he was gone before she even finished the needle. All I did was pet him, it doesn't seem like enough.
I wish I could take it back and start over.
I miss you Georgie, you'll always be in my heart.
Attached Images

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:11 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999
I only wish the vet would have told me it would be so quick, I would have held him while she gave him the injection. I thought that would give him the needle, he would start to feel drowsy and I could hold him for his last moments. But he was gone before she even finished the needle. All I did was pet him, it doesn't seem like enough.
I wish I could take it back and start over.
I'm so sorry... (tears). I've been there, I know that feeling it's the worst one in the world. Again, I'm so very sorry. :sad: (((Hug)))
Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:36 AM

I was there..this July....14 years old Golden

I just went through this, and I know the pain and the other negative emotions..but one thing that is most important, above being there as he went to play at the Rainbow Bridge, is that you WERE THERE HIS WHOLE LIFE....to love him, and share all your experiences with him....Millions of pups would try their whole life for 5 minutes of the love you showed yours.....Be comforted that he was one of the blessed ones that never knew the feeling of being abandoned.....he KNOWS.....your heart...and I know he cherishes all of the time you had....

Blessings

Amy
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

George was a beauty and I am sorry,I too always stayed with my animals when the time came.I found it very comforting in my grief,it's quick and painless and they take the face of the person they loved with them until we meet again.RIP beautiful George.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I am soooo very sorry for your loss.My heart goes out to you and your family.It's a very difficult thing to have to go through.I went through it in Sept when I had to put my beautiful Yukon down.I too stayed with him till the end.It still hurts.It does get easier,just not sure when.. :sad: ...But the memories do stay forever.

Old January 28th, 2005, 05:57 PM
owned by Tucker

Sorry for your loss, I feel for you. I had to do the same thing last January for our dog. He had bone cancer. It was a hard thing to do and I like you had never gone through this before. I had a great vet and she talked me through it. He went peacefully to sleep hearing my voice and with me stroking him. The funny thing was (if you can call it funny) Travis wagged his tail while he was being put to sleep, the last thing to stop was his tail. The vet and I found this kind of amusing, she said it takes a long time for the drug to get to the wag of a big dog like Travis. I just felt that he knew that he was going to a better place that would be free from pain. Maybe he could see rainbow bridge and all the other pets waiting for him to play there.
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I have been down that road 3 times now, although each journey is a little different, as they are all individuals. George may have been gone before you knew it, but he knew you were there. Remember, HIS last conscious impression was that you were there with him. George and all our friends, are now happy, healthy and pain-free playing at Rainbow Bridge.

Old January 21st, 2005, 09:14 PM
AmInaL

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did a wonderful, brave thing, to be with him in his final moments, many owners cannot. You were with him til the end, and that's what is most important.

George looks like he was a wonderful companion. I bet you have wonderful memories of him. Hugs to you.
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww, what a beautiful and sweet looking dog. I know he was grateful for all the love and care he got all these years.

I know just how hard it is. So sorry for this loss. :sad:
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

(tears) I'm soo sorry for your loss, but don't worry, you did MORE than enough "at the end". Just being there is what they really need at that time, and you wre there. I know it hurts. (((((((hug)))))))

Again, I'm very very sorry. :sad:
Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I feel for you and understand how much you are hurting right now. That it was so quick made it easy for him, although it was hard for you. Being there with him was enough and you are reassured that he didn't suffer. That is so much to give. Your memories will last a lifetime. He was beautiful!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:00 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

so sorry

So very sorry that you had to say Goodbye to such a good friend. Remember the happy days with George. I'm sure he's over the rainbow bridge telling all his new friends what a great first life he had.