Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 22nd, 2004, 01:07 AM

Smile desperately looking for a small dog

I am looking for a chichuachua for some time now.The age or gender doesn't matter.I have been calling the SPCA almost everyday and I think I am getting on their nerves....
I have a small child and she is so careful and loving to animals.We have two cats right now.One adult male(which is my husbands)and one female kitten(which is mine).We were going to stop there,but it turns out that my husband is allergic to my kittens fur(it is different than his cats').So unfortutely we have to get rid of her.So my husband said that we could adopt a dog since we would have the room now.I hate the idea of getting rid of Nalah,but I have no choice.Unless someone would like to adopt a husband...
I live in the Montreal area.I am a stay at home mother and would always be home with the dog.If anyone knows of any chichuachuas needing a good stable home full of love,please email me at Whiteknights@tv.videotron.ca
I would my messages faster this way since I check 2 times a day.
Thanks in advance
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Smile

Re: So unfortutely we have to get rid of her.

What do yo mean get rid of her? (Sounds like she's in the mob.

Has your husband considered allergy meds because soon, the kitten will be a cat and the allergy will not be a problem. I do not run a rescue but if you said that to me and wanted a dog, I'd have to ask, so what happens if you devlop an allergy to the dog?

My sister is allergic to cats and has been all her life yet we always had cats and now she has two Siamese kitties. She started taking meds but became desensitized over time.

Allergies is one of the chief reasons cited for giving up pets and it is the one that can be addressed the easest. There are so many great allergy meds now that one never need give up a pet. Of course you could give up your hsuband - as you alluded to. Is he housebroken?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:28 AM

Allegies cannot always be fully treated with meds. Also, if the husband is allergic to the kitten's fur, it probably means it is a different breed of cat and he will still be allergic to it when it gets older. I'm guessing the full grown cat is long-haired. I also don't react to long-haired cats.

It drives me a bit nuts when people say, "just take medecine" when talking about allergies. If it solves the allergy problem fully (in my case it doesn't), it often still leaves you with a constant dry mouth and nose, AND allergy medication has been linked to cancer. I still take it when I need to because of hayfever, but I try to limit the amount I take as much as I can -- and it isn't fair to guilt someone into subjecting themselves to the lifespan of a cat of taking meds that could potentially be cancer-causing!

Having said that, I do think the OP needs to be careful about what kind of dog they get. You should really try one out first and make sure no one in your home has an allergy to it. Giving up a pet for an adoption is a painful process for all, so pets really shouldn't be acquired carelessly, especially when an allergy has already been found in your home!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

And how are you going to "get rid" of Nalah? Unless you already have a good home lined up, it could take some time as Montreal is overrun with homeless kittens.

You can search Petfinder for the dog, but you'll need to spell it correctly if you are making inquiries to rescues. It's "Chihuahua".

What will you do if your husband is allergic to the dog too?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:16 AM

I'm also allergic to dogs and cats. I had a cat around me the whole time, while growing up, and have made the decision to get dogs when I was living on my own.

Has your husband tried allergy medicine to see if it works or not? If not, give it a try. You never know.

I have to agree with the others here and ask what'll happen if your husband proves allergic to the dog too. Please don't teach your daughter that animals are disposable. Animals are commitments for their entire life.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I find it rather offensive to start planning what your next pet is going to be while at the same time planning to "get rid" of another. I have been having asthma problems, but getting rid of my cat and dog would never be an option for me. There are sprays that can help control the dander. Your hubby can also avoid touching his face, etc. after handling the cat.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I would really at least try other options [medicine for him or something]before i just got rid of her.........................Dont you think??????????????????
Old November 22nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Chihuahua's

Very few rescues will adopt a Chi to a family with small children. They are very delicate and can be injured easily with the slighest tug the wrong way.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Lightbulb Allergies

My best friend is allergic to her son's cat. She has found the new Febreeze for Pet Dander has really helped her and there are also solutions at the pet stores to use when grooming the cat (or dog) to also help keep the dander down. Also have you tried an air filter? Just remember put it on the opposite side of the room, as it is drawing the crappy, dander ridden air towards it. So many people sit beside the air filter thinking that they are getting the good air coming out of the machine, when in fact, all the air that bothers them (hair and dander ridden air) is being sucked towards them.

Good luck