Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 14th, 2014, 09:26 PM
You can call me DOG!

Question Cryptorchid vs. Monorchids – Are they one in the same?

Is there a difference between being unilaterally Cryptorchid and Monorchid?

Our English Springer spaniel had what we thought was an undescended testicles when he was a pup. He only had 1 “part” exposed and we paid an additional fee to have the undescended testicles removed during his surgery.

Fast forward 10 years. Gryphon has shown signs of lameness in his left hind leg to the point that he is dragging his foot on the ground and it now appears lifeless. I've taken him to my vet twice in the last 2 weeks and only after letting the vet know tonight about his undescended testicle, he (the vet) showed great concern about the surgery 10 years ago. To clarify, Gryphon now sees a new vet who did not perform the original neuter.

My Vet asked me to check the receipt that was issued to find out if the “Crypto” was from the left or right side. I found the receipt (from 2005) and it shows “Monorchid Canine Neuter” as the procedure performed along with a laundry list of medications and anesthetics. So this is where I'm confused because the explanation doesn't state if the right testicle or the left one was undescended but it was “Monorchid.” Does this make sense?

The vet completed a Pre-anesthetic blood test tonight with a CBC and I am to call him on Monday to get Gryph in for a couple x-rays and possible ultra sound as soon as possible. In the meantime, he fixed him up with some Rimadyl to get by for the weekend.

In the interim, another possibility could be a cruciate ligament rupture which can be remedy with either expensive surgery or a canine knee brace.

With any of the above, I truly hope it is just the fact that he has grown older and requires a little help from us with getting around and much more love from his human masters but am really concerned about the Monorchids procedure 10 years ago and if the poor old sole still has one part floating around inside him with a cancerous possibility.

In closing, thank you for reading my long, winded question and any thoughts or input would be GREATLY welcomed and much appreciated.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; March 14th, 2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Monorchids should not be plural! It's only one!
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:36 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Interesting. Monorchid would imply only one testicle, but worded the way it is, it could also imply just one was removed and he didn't attempt to even find another. My understanding is that if there's an undescended testicle, the surgery to remove it can be quite invasive. Do you remember if there was an unusually large incision or if there were special instructions for the recovery time after surgery?

I suppose it's possible the operating vet couldn't find a second testicle, undescended or otherwise, and therefore assumed Gryphon was monorchid?

Any way you can call the clinic where it was done and see if there are any notes in the record as to what happened during the surgery?

Geez, I hope you can get this figured out and it's not cancer. Our babies worry us so much...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:56 PM
You can call me DOG!

I remember his surgery quite well. The incision to locate the undescended testicle was the entire length of his penis which made me think that it was hiding quite a ways up.

Now I'm just wondering based on the wording if they only located 1 and couldn't find the other one but maybe it still in there.

I don't think the x-ray will show whether or not it's still in there but an ultra sound may, correct?

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope so! But I don't have a lot of experience with the issue. It might depend on where it's located...but you'd think they'd be able to image it somehow if it's there.

Do you think there might be surgical notes at the old clinic on what they did during the procedure?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:23 PM
You can call me DOG!

I think I'm going to see how the x-rays turn out and if I need to connect with the previous clinic, I will do just that. I am to call the Vet on Monday and hope to schedule him on Tuesday for the x-rays.

Gosh, the poor guy keeps hobbling on 3 legs and the other thing too is, he has developed a terrible body odour. It's not his breath but just being around. After giving him hugs, brushing his teeth and clipping his nails, it has left a foul odour in the air and on my face and hands after petting/grooming him.

Mollie seems a little out of sort too. She keeps sniffing him under his belly and has been somewhat docile when he's moving around.

Very odd.

Old March 16th, 2014, 10:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

That is odd, DOG. Make sure you mention that to the vet. Maybe he has an infection somewhere--staph can smell like rotting meat sometimes...and it can spread on the skin.

Old March 17th, 2014, 09:52 PM
You can call me DOG!

I'll advise the vet for sure about his odour.

I'm taking him in tomorrow afternoon for the x-rays. ((((Positive Vibes)))) inserted.

Old March 18th, 2014, 10:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Good results this afternoon

Old March 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well.....no cancer detected but Gryphon ruptured his cruciate ligament and his hip joints (both) are all out of line. The Vet feels that the condition his hips are in, an ortho brace is not going to solve the issue with the rupture and surgery is the way to go.

OKAY.....I'm tearing up now as I'm typing this cause there's no way that we have 3K kicking around to make this happen and my heart is torn.

He's still pretty sedated now from the x-rays and am hoping he'll swing back to his normal behavior tomorrow. We've been treating him for the past week with Tri-Acta, H.A. and the vet put him on the Rimadyl.

Just don't know what to make of this and where to go with it.

Old March 19th, 2014, 11:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Were the hips symptomatic at all before he blew out the ACL? If not, I think we'd try the brace even if just to give us time to decide what to do. Is that 3K just for the ACL repair or for hip surgery, too?

Dang! I guess 'no cancer' is a good thing, but still....

Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:58 PM
You can call me DOG!

The hips came after the ACL rupture and reviewing the x-rays.

The 3K was for the whole kit and kaboodle however; DH and I are not going to take this route. We discussed it and believe it would be just as painful (for all of us) going through the surgery and rehabilitation in comparison to giving him new medications, supplements and limited exercise to alleviate his pain for the rest of his years ahead.

Fortunately, cancers were not detected from Gryphon's monorchid surgery and have connected to SuperWanda's thread about weakness in dog's hind leg: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=85005&page=2

Poor old soles.

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Will you try the brace, too? It's so hard to watch them get older. Sending along some healing

Old March 25th, 2014, 08:52 PM
You can call me DOG!

The Tri-Acta HA along with the Rimadyl has done wonders with Gryphon. A week ago, there were a couple instances where we had to carry him up the stairs to bed and since Friday, he's been charging up by himself!

I've researched these braces only to find it difficult to understand the order process on the sites I've visited.

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear that you can just order a stifle brace (small, medium, large) but they are custom made. I would suspect that a custom made brace would be quite costly in comparison to surgery itself.

In any event, my Vet called me at home this evening inquiring about Gryphon and I explained the challenges I was having about the braces. He said if I had some spare time, to pop into the office and we could sit down and research the brace options together.

Wow! First off, never had any previous vet calling me at home a few days later asking about my pet's condition and secondly, for him to suggest I stop by so we can look further into the braces made me feel so much better.

I have to swing by within the next 5 days to pick up a full prescription of Rimadyl so hopefully, the Vet & I can sit down at that time to research them.