Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old August 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

A walk in the park

Took Halo for a hike down to Burnaby Lake on Sunday. It was very hot and despite having tons of water (even poured on her head) she really didn't seem to enjoy the walk as much as she would have if it had been cooler. The scenery was lovely so we'll go again once the weather cools and she can enjoy it more.

Dad and Halo on the observation tower, you can't take the dogs down near the water due to the wildlife. Hey is that a bear in the bushes, oh sorry, no it's Dad eating blackberries! and last is Halo at home (finally) in the front yard.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dog Dancer; August 14th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Took Halo for a hike down to Burnaby Lake on Sunday. It was very hot and despite having tons of water (even poured on her head) she really didn't seem to enjoy the walk. The scenery was lovely so we'll go again once the weather cools and she can enjoy it more.

Dad and Halo on the observation tower, you can't take the dogs down near the water due to the wildlife. Hey is that a bear in the bushes, oh sorry, no it's Dad eating blackberries! and last is Halo at home (finally) in the front yard.
Pouring water on your dog head is not going to help him cool down. You have an old black dog and he should only be out side just long enough to do his business. .
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Appreciate your concern barkingdog, Halo is 12 years old and loves going for long walks every day. We walk slowly to accommodate her advancing age, but she is extremely healthy (per my vet last week). My last black dog walked daily until she was pts at 14. Not sure saying she didn't enjoy the walk was fair, she just took it very slowly due to the heat, which was fine with us.

I do believe that the water we poured over her head and down her back and neck helped to cool her some, she seemed okay with it. Not to worry she had lots of water and we were only out for just over half an hour. Most of our walk was in the shade as it is a heavily bushed/forested area, and there were many, many dogs out there with us.
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Great photo's, DD. NICE garden! And darling Halo, I just want to cuddle her when I look at the last photo. What is it I wonder about old dogs that just makes me melt?

My black and tan Chi' long coat used to soak up the heat, but it's not a problem just for dark dogs. My red male cattle dog was never shown once the temp. was predicted to be about 32C, as that's when he'd start to vomit and get diarrhorea. Just couldn't hack the heat, a disgrace really to his Dingo ancestors.
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, lucky Halo getting a special walk with Mom and Dad!! Might have been warm, but I'll bet she loved it, anyway.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Appreciate your concern barkingdog, Halo is 12 years old and loves going for long walks every day. We walk slowly to accommodate her advancing age, but she is extremely healthy (per my vet last week). My last black dog walked daily until she was pts at 14. Not sure saying she didn't enjoy the walk was fair, she just took it very slowly due to the heat, which was fine with us.

I do believe that the water we poured over her head and down her back and neck helped to cool her some, she seemed okay with it. Not to worry she had lots of water and we were only out for just over half an hour. Most of our walk was in the shade as it is a heavily bushed/forested area, and there were many, many dogs out there with us.
"she really didn't seem to enjoy the walk." you wrote this in your first post , so I was responding to that. My black dog got really hot and he did not enjoy long walk on a hot day.
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

It is so nice to see Halo again What a sweetie.

Our Shadow who was quite dark used to lie in the sun. I used to worry about her but she was fine.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey Barkingdog, I realized after that yes that's what I said, and I guess it's not really accurate. She loved the adventure, new smells and all, but none of us really enjoyed the heat. We'll go back there again when it's cooler and "really enjoy" the walk. Being black she does suffer some from the heat, but no more than any of us do I don't think. She's smart enough to move to the shade when she gets too warm. On this day we did stick to the shade due to the heat, and really kept the walk very short by my choice on account of not wanting to overdo the dog. No offence was taken, I know we all share equal concern of the pets here.
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Half Way To Crazy

what a great way to spend a Sunday
so glad that it was hubby and not "lions and tigers and bears o my"

it must be beautiful in the fall with all the colors, you will have to go back and take a picture of the fall colors, not to mention picture'S with Halo lots of them!!!!! please
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I still need to get a better camera. I took a few more pics but they're mostly blurry and just not worth the effort. I will need a better camera for pup pics and baby pics soon!
Old August 15th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Yeah, I still need to get a better camera. I took a few more pics but they're mostly blurry and just not worth the effort. I will need a better camera for pup pics and baby pics soon!
get your butt into gear girl !! what you waiting for??
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Ummm,, that would be money! Anybody with a recommendation of a good general use camera (kids and pets) that won't break the bank??
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Ummm,, that would be money! Anybody with a recommendation of a good general use camera (kids and pets) that won't break the bank??
the root of all evil, money

Marko might know
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Yessiree - You 100% want a DSLR. All point and shoot cameras are fairly bad for kids and pets because they move so quickly. P&S cameras are capable of fantastic results when there is lots of light and no moving subject but this is not the case w/pets or kids. Trust me on this one...get a DSLR.

You are looking at 500. for a new camera with a lens. Hope that doesn't break the bank. https://www.thecamerastore.com/produ...55mm-f35-56-vr

I have actually played with this camera - it is FABULOUS for learning photography - but it also goes totally auto if u want it to.

This model is slightly better but it's 679. https://www.thecamerastore.com/produ...35-56-vr-black

These are entry level Nikons. Entry level Canons are just as good imo, I just have more experience w/Nikon.

Hope that may help
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info Marko. I'll take a look. Wasn't really hoping to spend that much money, but who knows. My son is much like you are, he's very into photography and has an assortment of excellent camera's. I haven't gotten around to asking him for his opinion yet. That said, at least I know he'll share baby pics with Grandma!
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:58 AM

nice view...and good photography too. But overall, cute little dog..