Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 9th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Cat bathroom problems PLEASE HELP

Alright there is some major reconstruction being done in my house so most of my furniture is covered in plastic wrap while the workers work on fixing things(we had a pipe burst that flooded the house) but now it seems my cat (Male about two years old) keeps peeing on some of the plastic wrap...is there something wrong with the cat or is he confused and mistaking it for the liter box?PLEASE HELP as family members are losing their patience for the cat and are making threats about getting rid of him..
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Usually when cats urinate inappropraietly, he is trying to tell you somethig. He ios undoutedly stressed with all the construction tyo begin with. Is his litter box (rule of thumb is one litter box per cat plus one, ex - I have 3 cats in the house at the moment so we have 5 litter boxes) easily accesible and in the same place or was it moved? If you cleaned, did you use a product with no amonia (amonia tends to let them think they can urinate there again).

Cats are very easily stressed and the stress can cause physical probs, some of them very seriius, incl crystals. Is he neutered? How old is he?

The 1st step is to take him to the vet to rule out any physial ailment. Your family needs patience - this is not the kitty's fault. No one loses patience
with us when we are ill. It is rather like a cry for help on his part - whether it is medical or behavioural.

Good luck!!!
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Free The Animals

I had very similar problems last winter when I was having renovations done. Besides the general mayhem, the workers had all their equipment in the basement right near most of the litter boxes My kitties took to urinating all over the place. Things improved when I started putting them in a quiet worker free room with the door closed before the workers would arrive. When the work was done, they still were not comfortable in their litter box space so I had to get the kitties to feel safe there again by spending lots of peaceful time with them there.
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Cats HATE changes,it gets them confused and stressed.
At least plastic-sheeting can be cleaned up.
Once construction and plastic sheets are gone,I am 100% sure he'll be back to normal.
I had visitors stay at my house once and one of my cats hated it,he pooped and peed in our bed.As soon as they were gone and things back to normal everything was fine.
Do not"get rid"of a cat because he hates all the upheaval in the house,make sure he has a quiet,calm place for his litter-box.
Like Luck says,cats are"thinskinned"and need to feel secure in their normal routine,your cat is unhappy and stressed!!
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Your family needs patience - this is not the kitty's fault. No one loses patience with us when we are ill. It is rather like a cry for help on his part - whether it is medical or behavioural.
Well said, Cyberkitten.

Few cats would not be seriously stressed by major renovations in the home.
After all, your home is his whole world and now it's been turned upside down. Even I'M stressed by renovations, and I know what's happening - he doesn't.

Can you put him in one room, with his litterbox, etc. until the job is done? Play a radio to help drown out noise.

Stress can also bring on urinary tract infections in neutered males, so I would get that checked.