Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 13th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Weimaraner Puppy Keeps Vomiting!

Hi everyone! I am here because I need some advise!!

I have a 8 week old weimaraner puppy, Lucy, who, when she eats, she throws up her food. She holds some down and then she loses it! She eats really fast!

I've been really concerned because this breed is prone to bloat. When we took her to the vet last week the vet said that she is too young to have bloat. The food I've been giving her is Pedigree puppy food (dry) wet down. and I'm only giving it to her in small amounts (like 4-5 pieces at a time) for her feeding.

I'm thinking I may need to switch her food to a better brand. Any suggestions on a brand that is good for puppy digestion? I know when I do switch I'm suppose to mix it with the Pedigree food to avoid diarrhea- but I'm not sure if continuing to give here the Pedigree at all is a good idea either -being the Pedigree isn't agreeing with her. Any advise would be appreciated! I really love this puppy and I just can't stand her going through this! There has to be a solution!!! Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Did the vet thoroughly examine her to make sure there are no physical problems or malformations causing the vomiting? Vomiting every meal is definitely not normal and I would be very worried about her becoming dehydrated.

If you feel it's the food, then change. Pedigree is not very digestible and the high quantity of corn can cause allergies in dogs.

There are many good brands out there - just about anything is better than Pedigree.

Solid Gold, Eaglepack, Wellness, California Natural, Nutro, Canidae, Nature's Recipe and many more.

Basically, avoid any dog foods sold at grocery stores. Most of them are full of cheap fillers and dyes.

Feed your puppy 4 small meals a day.

Oh, and welcome to the board!!!
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Maybe she has an intolerance to something. My big Boo gets violently ill when someone gives him chicken. In my opinion, switch the doggy to Solid Gold WolfCub. There shouldn't be any ingredient overlap with the pedigree. But also, you should see a vet. If this has been going on for a while, chances are there is bacterial overgrowth in the stomach and you'll need antibiotics. They also give Boo an anti-vomiting injection into his belly.

For bloat-- vomiting is good. Trying to vommit and not being able to-- very very bad.
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I'm changing her food! I was not comfortable giving her Pedigree from the beginning - but that was what the breeder was giving her so I just figured I'd go with the flow!! Thanks for your advise - I'll keep you posted!! And also thanks for the welcome!!!
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

[QUOTE=SHOE]Hi everyone! I am here because I need some advise!!

I have a 8 week old weimaraner puppy, Lucy, who, when she eats, she throws up her food. She holds some down and then she loses it! She eats really fast!

Eight weeks of age is very young. Be careful changing foods on her now. If you do , do it gradually..mixing old with new until she is totally on the new food of choice.

Sounds like she is use to competing for food as some pups do coming from a litter. You can feed her many small meals through out the day until she gets use to the new schedule. If she trys to "inhale" her food like a vaccuum cleaner, pick the food up and wait a few minutes. She needs to learn she does not need to compete anymore. This is a puppy thing.

Please post a picture of your new grey ghost when you can, okay?
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM

I was thinking that also!!! I wasn't sure how to approach her litter mentality -- I'll try taking the bowl away until she gets the hint! And I'm also changing food!! Boy am I glad I posted here!! I will definately post a picture of her as soon as I get some developed and figure out how to do it!!! Thanks for your help!
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

For possible dehydration, you can add flavourless Pedialite to the drinking water.

To slow down eating, put a ball or something (inverted small soup bowl) in the food bowl, so it is tougher to get to the kibble.

Good luck with your new furbaby
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

recently switched

The vomiting is a definite problem as you know. Let us know what the vet says regarding possible infections.

Regarding switching food, after doing some research on brands recommended on this site I just switched our newf pup from pedigree to Nutro - Large Breed Puppy Rice & Lamb. I started by mixing the food (3/4 pedigree, 1/4 nutro) and was going to slowly keep decreasing the amount of pedigree. After about 4 days, I saw that Hazel was only eating the Nutro kibble and leaving the pedigree, so I quit mixing it and now she just gets the nutro. I couldn't find any dealers of the WolfKing puppy food anywhere close to me, but a local feed store that does carry nutro. My husband wanted the pup to stay on pedigree because that is what our contract with the breeder says, but she told me I could feed whatever I wanted. I don't think he realized that she was supplementing the puppy's food with goat's milk and the adults with raw chicken and that's all the supplements I happen to know about - she may be giving them more to make up for the quality of the pedigree.

Good Luck! I hope the pup is feeling better soon!
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board I'm sure you will make lots of friends here and get some good advice.

Hope to see some pics of your Weim puppy soon, good luck with her and I hope her tummy gets better with the new food.

My friends have a weim named Nala and she is a real beauty.